DS Lites Are Cracking Up Like Mad

I wonder if the cracks are caused because of the gloss over the Lite. Does the gloss cover the hinges as well?

No, I have no cracks and I pretty much treat mine fairly badly sometimes throwing it around etc.

No cracks for me and I open and close it all the time playing MP3's. Hopefully it will stay that way. If not, it's going back for a new one :p.

No cracks for me and I open and close it all the time playing MP3's. Hopefully it will stay that way. If not, it's going back for a new one :p.

Get the pink one! :p

Well..i went against my own advice and applied some super glue to the crack. It was getting worse and I have maybe played in twice in the past 2 days :( :( :(.

So I used an extremely small drop right on the crack. Super glue is crazy strong so hopefully it will hold the crack together. I wouldn't recommend anyone doing this because it is plain stupid. If you get super glue inside the hinge you will have worse problems then a crack, like...not being able to open the device ever again (without breaking the top screen completely off).

But I think this could help hold it together for longer. I"m getting a little nervous because I expected a statement from Nintendo by now.

I'll take a picture under the microscope after hours :ninja:. I think you'll see that it is already a bit bigger then it was yesterday. I'll just continue taking pictures through next week to see if the super glue helped at all.

I got my DSL on 22nd June and currently it is fine. I've opened the screen past the first click a few times out of curiosity but otherwise I always use it at the first click. Will definitely be keeping an eye on the left hinge from now on :ermm:

All this talk about hinge cracking on the DS lite is making me happy I didn't buy the DS lite yesterday. I was about to purchase it but my cheque didn't go through to my account and I didn't have enough money. Maybe Nintendo will do something about it as more and more people talk about this issue.

There appears to be some confusion about whether or not Nintendo is charging to have the crack fixed. When GameSpot News contacted Nintendo customer support at the time the news broke, a rep said that damaged DS Lites would be repaired for $50, marked down from the standard fee of $75. However, other reports claimed that Nintendo has now changed its policy and will repair units for free. GameSpot called Nintendo customer support again today to find out if there was any change in policy, but the rep on the phone insistend that the $50 fee was still in place.

:x

Wow, a $50 fee to repair something that isn't even the customer's fault. Maybe I was a little too hard on Sony when my PS2 went defective. Apparently every company thinks its okay to **** over its consumers.

I think I have the model DS - Yellow shoulder buttons, yellow feet, and a cracked hinge. All I need now is the yellow hue touch screen and its all set, lol. And before anybody says anything, I take excellent care of all my electronics.

Edit: Just realized that post is two days old. Can anybody confirm for sure whether or not Nintendo is repairing this crap for free? I've heard conflicting stories.

Edit: Just realized that post is two days old. Can anybody confirm for sure whether or not Nintendo is repairing this crap for free? I've heard conflicting stories.

Best thing for you to do is to ring them up and see what they say.

DS Lites Cracking Up At Nintendo World Store

It's time to start babying my DS, wearing white cotton gloves and keeping it in its atmosphere controlled, hermetically sealed storage locker when not in use. Granted, the Nintendo World Store DS Lite display units definitely see a lot of manhandling, but I'm still concerned.

From a MaxConsole reader comes the above photo of two of the eight DS Lites for public use at the New York City flagship store. That's not such a bad ratio, right? Wrong.

"Hi, kero again. Went to Nintendo World store in NYC with some friends. I took a look at the DS lite demo models. It wasn't shocking to see that 6 or 7 of the 8 DS lites on the center table had the cracks. Two had a developing or hairline crack while the others had the full blown crack."

nws_ds_lite_cracks.jpg

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/top/ds-lites-...tore-189228.php

Nintendo Agrees To Fix DS Lite Hinge Cracks

Following a number of substantiated online reports of hinge cracks on the recently US-launched Nintendo DS Lite portable, Nintendo of America has opted to offer free repairs to anyone who calls the company's support line to report the issue.

The company has issued a formal statement to Gamasutra regarding the reports, noting: ?In the U.S., the reported number of small cosmetic cracks in the plastic hinge of DS Lite systems represents less than 0.02 percent of the total units sold. This cosmetic issue in no way impacts the gameplay or integrity of the DS Lite.?

The statement concludes: ?Nintendo stands behind the quality of our products and encourages DS Lite owners to contact our Customer Service Department if they are not happy with the functionality of their systems.?

The DS Lite launched on June 11 in North America at a suggested retail price of $129.99. The new console is smaller and lighter than the original model and features a brighter screen display. Only the ?polar white? color is currently available in North America, compared to the five colors in Japan and the two in Europe.

Initial reports had indicated that Nintendo might be charging either $50 or $75 for repairs to the system when faced with hinge cracking issues, something that the company has now superceded with this official statement on free Source:>Source: Gamasutra

Nintendo has admitted a some of its DS Lite handheld games consoles have been affected by a problem that causes the console's case to crack. The company claimed the damage was purely "cosmetic" and does not affect the "gameplay or integrity" of the gadget.

Nintendo said the issue affected just 0.02 per cent of the DS Lites it has shipped to date. However, it told buyers with cracked machines - the damage appears on the screen hinge - to return them for repair.

DS Lite owners should contact their local customer services division, Nintendo said. If the damage is found to be the result of the manufacturing defect, it will be repaired under warranty.

Nintendo Europe told industry-watching website GamesIndustry.biz: "If someone experiences a problem with their DS Lite they should contact their local customer services department."

However, one Reg Hardware reader did, to ask NIntendo UK customer services if there was a problem that would be fixed free of charge and was tersely told: "No." We hope the division's European superiors inform it that that's not the case. ?

Source: Reg Hardware (The Register)

• 1 month later...

Sorry for digging up this thread but finally the left hinge of my white DS Lite (bought in June) has a hair crack...

Has anybody from Europe (to be exact Germany) tried to get the thing repaired for free?