WINRAR 3.51 Free Sunday July 30th 2006

If I download this free version, and then when the next version comes out and people compress files with that newer version, will I then not be able to uncompress them with my older free version? :blush:

youll be fine.

Thanks! But this leads me to another question: what is the point of their releasing upgrades if the functionality remains the same? Or do they add new features? I thought it was just a program for making and decompressing RAR files....:huh::

Thanks! But this leads me to another question: what is the point of their releasing upgrades if the functionality remains the same? Or do they add new features? I thought it was just a program for making and decompressing RAR files.... :huh:

I believe it's mostly UI and security enchancements. Core functionality stays the same. I use WinRAR 3.42 just fine.

It seems the version 3.6 will be a major upgrade

1. Multithreaded version of RAR compression algorithm improves the compression speed on computers with several CPU, dual core CPU and processors with hyperthreading technology.

2. WinRAR can display the folder tree panel allowing to navigate in disk and archive folders.

3. Now WinRAR "Rename" command also works with ZIP archives. Previous versions could rename files only in RAR archives.

4. Added decompression of LZH archives created with "-lh7-" algorithm.

5. New "Remove duplicate folders from extraction path" option in "Settings/Compression" dialog.

If this option is on and you unpack an archive which root folder has no files and only one 'somename' folder and if destination folder is new or empty and also ends with '/somename', WinRAR will exclude one 'somename' from resulting 'somename/somename' path.

6. New "Define volume sizes..." button in "Settings/Compression". This button activates "Define volume sizes" dialog. Here you can customize the list of predefined volume sizes associated with "Split to volumes, bytes" field in archiving dialog.

7. Speed of RAR general compression increased for some data types. Depending on data type and size the gain may achieve 5 - 15%.

8. New "Rename automatically" option in the extraction dialog and command line -or switch to rename extracted files automatically if file with the same name already exists. You can also enable the auto-renaming mode directly from the overwrite confirmation prompt with "Rename All" button.

Renamed files will get names like 'filename(N).txt', where 'filename.txt' is the original file name and 'N' is a number.

9. "Set modification time" option in "Advanced" part of extraction dialog is accessible also for ZIP archives. Previously it could be changed only for RAR archives.

10. "Multithreading" option added to "Benchmark and hardware test" command, so you can compare performance of usual and multithreaded versions of RAR compression algorithm.

11. New 'ch' (change archive parameters) command line mode command. Its purpose is to apply switches like -av, -tl and -cl to archive.

12. New 'cv' command line mode command. It provides the command line interface to WinRAR "Convert archives" command. It is supported only by winrar.exe, not by rar.exe.

13. New command line -sl and -sm switches to set size limits of processing files.

14. New command line -fcu[file] switch allows to read archive comments from Unicode files. It also modifies behavior of "cw" command, setting the comment output format to Unicode.

15. 7Z added to list of formats stored without compression when using -ms switch without a parameter.

16. Switch -e[+] is now supported by most of command line operations including extracting and deleting files. Previously it was supported by only archiving command.

17. It is allowed to use environment variables in archive name in archiving dialog, in destination path in extraction dialog, in folder names on "Compression" and "Paths" pages in WinRAR settings. For example, you can enter '%temp%' in "Folder for temporary files" field.

WinRAR is a great utility, i tried to find one with all the sfx archive features but without success. Winrar is the best in this category, it allows you to create quick little installer than any user can extract using the exe or just extracting it with winrar.

WinRAR is ace :) i might get it but donno. I use winRAR Corporate edtion its 3.4 version yes old lol

There is no such thing as a Corporate Edition. :whistle:

WinRAR is ace :) i might get it but donno. I use winRAR Corporate edtion its 3.4 version yes old lol

Just so you know...WinRAR 3.4 "Corporate Edition" is a warez edition.

sweeeet thanks...

non-upgradable... mmh... well better than nothing ;)

-fm

And now for some bad news. I don't think any of the people who signed up today are going to get the free version link. I signed up at 12:05 am and didn't recieve that email yet. I think you already needed to be a subscriber. This would suck, but hey...they don't want to give everyone on Neowin and Digg a free version.

Edited by Ned

And now for some bad news. I don't think any of the people who signed up today are going to get the free version link. I signed up at 12:05 am and didn't recieve that email yet. I think you already needed to be a subscriber. This would suck, but hey...they don't want to give everyone on Neowin and Digg a free version.

But you did receive the newsletter confirmation email, right?

I never saw it on their front page...so I'm assuming someone received that as an email. I could be wrong. If they are making it publicly known on their site (which I can't access) I may be wrong...I hope I'm wrong.

If this keeps up, no one will be able to download the free version Sunday :)

Oh...and to answer your question: Yes, I did.

Edited by Ned