WINRAR 3.51 Free Sunday July 30th 2006

5 tries and when I finally got through, got my email within 3 seconds :) thanks :D

So once you get the email, you download the key, then I guess you have to Download Winrar 3.51 trial version of their website, input the key and ur ready to go?

So once you get the email, you download the key, then I guess you have to Download Winrar 3.51 trial version of their website, input the key and ur ready to go?

:yes:

Sandy, you don't even need to input a key. I just dl'ed it, extracted the reg from the WinRAR Beta I was using earlier on (lol), then I just copied and replaced the one given in the trial version in program files and voila! 3.51 special version :)

... took less than 1 min, literally although the connection errors and using the link from the email did take FOREVER.

Sandy, you don't even need to input a key. I just dl'ed it, extracted the reg from the WinRAR Beta I was using earlier on (lol), then I just copied and replaced the one given in the trial version in program files and voila! 3.51 special version :)

You might as well double-click the RAR file ;)

Edit: Oops, I misunderstood you... :blush:

Edit (part2): Ok, I understood you correctly, Nova69 :D

i only see one problem with this, and thats if an archive is created with a newer version of winrar and you attempt to extract it with an older copy it fall on it's arse and complains the archive is currupt.

so this free license aint worth the email it's posted in.

and when people realise this they are gonna be so ****ed that htey have now have to buy it to get it to work.

i think it's a cleaver way to get pepole to buy version 3.60 when it's released.

i only see one problem with this, and thats if an archive is created with a newer version of winrar and you attempt to extract it with an older copy it fall on it's arse and complains the archive is currupt.

so this free license aint worth the email it's posted in.

and when people realise this they are gonna be so ****ed that htey have now have to buy it to get it to work.

i think it's a cleaver way to get pepole to buy version 3.60 when it's released.

I see your point. However, how often are people going to update a program such as WinRAR? Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome program but a newer version won't really appeal to me (and probably as well as another large demographic), as I basically need it to simply use for extracting purposes. An update which could add a few new features won't really justify an update in the eyes of many.

That's funny because I have here a spanned archive (8x700MB, ~41K files) compressed with the latest 3.60 Beta8 which opens and extracts just fine with 3.51...

i'm confused, which of the following links do we go to to sign up for the free key?

http://www.win-rar.com/bestoverallutility/

IT happends more times than you think, get large enough mods or demos or anything else that may come in a rar file and it's like playing russian roulette to see if it works with the current version.

... took less than 1 min, literally although the connection errors and using the link from the email did take FOREVER.

Thanks (Y) and alpha_omega (Y) lol :p

It only works with 3.51 which IMO is pretty stupid. ;)

free

don't like it...don't get it.

simple enough.

I didnt. I dont see a point since they update it frequently.

3.51 is the last official release. Every release since has been a beta build, and potentially unstable.

I remember when Opera did this, within a month they went free. I wonder if Rarlab's are thinking along this path...

3.51 is the last official release. Every release since has been a beta build, and potentially unstable.

I remember when Opera did this, within a month they went free. I wonder if Rarlab's are thinking along this path...

Either way, to use this freebie you have to stick with 3.51. I wont be just like many others because 3.6 has multithreading support.

For somebody that just needs simple unzipping and zipping and doesn't need other fancy features this is very good as updates wouldn't really matter.

Funny! All I Get is:

Welcome to win-rar.com

Due to technical problems this site is offline untill 0:00h (CET) on July 30th, 2006.

If you wish to purchase a full WinRAR license which gives you all updates and upgrades for free, please use the following link:

Click here

If you need further information on the product we recommend you to visit rarlab.com.