WWDC 2006

It does seem real, but these days you cant definitely say its 100% real till it happens, so im keeping an open mind and not going to go into it that much

I seriously doubt those "features" are anything more than speculation - Leopard is going to be a much bigger release than that. Have a look at that so-called screenshot of Dashboard - if you ignore that fact that there is absolutely no need for a Safari, iChat, Mail, Automator, QuickTime or Spotlight widget, Apple wouldn't use each application's icon as it's widget icon (notice the Safari, iChat and Mail icons in the Dashboard... thing at the bottom); they didn't use the iTunes icon for the iTunes controller.

It's going to be hard to pry me away from Adium but with the new MSN integration in iChat...it may make it a little easier.

I seriously doubt those "features" are anything more than speculation - Leopard is going to be a much bigger release than that.

Mac OS 10.5 will see updates to most of the included applications, among the major updates are:

"Among" is the key word here.

There seem to be some problems with the screenshots I posted: Dock icons aren't aligned, nor are the Spotlights on the Desktop and other reasons why it's becoming more and more likely they're fake.

Update: For various reasons, MacRumors and our readers have many doubts about the authenticity of the screenshots. Due to the rising skepticism, readers should be aware that our Page 2 post regarding Steve Jobs' keynote details was from the same source that sent the photographs, which thus casts doubt on the claims made in that post.

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/08/20060804154559.shtml

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=221694

Only a few more days before we find out what we've been waiting for. The suspense is building!

I have a feeling that the screenshots posted are actually fake, but you never know for sure.

btw; Neowave - love the sig/avatar combo (Y).

Pre-WWDC recap: Apple to complete Intel transition

Apple will one-up the promise it made to developers last year when it announces on Monday that the transition of its systems to Intel processors is complete, following the unveiling of the professional Mac Pro desktop systems and the first Intel-powered Xserves at the Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) in San Francisco. But the company will reportedly push back its announcement of iTunes movie rentals and new iPod nanos into September.

New Intel pro systems

Along with an Intel chip, the top-of-the-line Mac Pro is expected to feature a new enclosure, EM>Think Secret has reported. While it's not known how dramatically the Mac Pro's case will differ from that of its predecessor, the Power Mac G5, the changes will be significant enough that customers can differentiate between the two systems. Both the Mac Pro and the Intel-based Xserves are expected to carry a shipment lag time of 3-4 weeks, sources familiar with Apple's manufacturing timetable report.

The Intel Xserves will feature the server-class dual-core Xeon processor, code-named Woodcrest. Sources remain divided as to whether all models of the Mac Pro will pack the Xeon as well or if lower-end configurations will instead include the new Core 2 Duo desktop chip, code-named Conroe, which is not currently available in multi-processor configurations.

Should the latter be the case, Xserves could arrive in customer hands ahead of the Mac Pro desktops. Xeon-powered Xserves have been in final testing stages for the better part of the last two months, Think Secret has reported, and the new servers have already been deployed at some Apple sites.

Other pro announcements?

Apple has yet to receive substantial quantities of the Core 2 Duo processor, casting doubt upon?but not ruling out?the possibility that Apple will announce other Core 2 Duo-powered products, such as upgraded MacBook Pro configurations, at WWDC.

Sources have quietly reported for months that Apple has been working on new Cinema Displays, including a model that would slot in between the 23-inch and 30-inch display, as well as an all-new display exceeding 30-inches. Apple's final plans, including release dates, have eluded sources, but an announcement accompanying new towers at WWDC would provide a needed boost to the company's aging line of displays whose specifications and prices are solidly outmatched by competitors' offeringMac OS X 10.5 Leopard

For developers, the biggest news at WWDC will be Apple's first public demonstration of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, and, beyond that, the opportunity to pick up the first developer seed of the new operating system.

Many of Leopard's improvements will be under the hood, with substantial optimization for 64-bit and Intel processors, but a number of noticeable changes to the Finder will also be highlighted.

A release date for Leopard is not expected at WWDC and it appears unlikely that the operating system will ship by the close of 2006, based on its current development status, sources saMovie rentals and nanos now slated for Sept.

Think Secret reported last month that CEO Steve Jobs would use his WWDC keynote address to announce the debut of full-feature movie rentals through the iTunes Music Store. While industry insiders said last month that WWDC coincides with dates Apple had planned with movie studios to launch the new service, that announcement has been postponed by a few weeks and is now reportedly scheduled for September.

Another product originally expected this month will also see its launch date roll back slightly: Apple's announcement of the second-generation iPod nano, first reported last month. Sources had said that signs pointed to an August announcement for the new new nano?expected to feature increased capacity and multiple colors along with a metal alloy enclosure?but more recent information indicates a quieter roll-out in Sept...one more thing?ing?

As with the days preceding any high-profile Apple event, rumors are swirling that Jobs has at least one trick up his sleeve for next week's keynote. The secrecy surrounding the announcement, coupled with Jobs' habit of personally reshuffling the company's announcements at the eleventh hour ?as sources say he did prior to Macworld Expo/San Francisco, which featured an oddly-paced gap in announcements that was filled by the second airing of the Intel commercial, noted by many observers.

The keynote will begin at 10:00am PT on Monday. Think Secret will report news of Apple's announcements.

Source: http://www.thinksecret.com/news/wwdc06preview.html

I think the new displays will have built-in iSight. :) It only makes sense because every computer in there line-up except the Mac Mini/Power Mac's has iSight built-in!

I think the new displays will have built-in iSight. :) It only makes sense because every computer in there line-up except the Mac Mini/Power Mac's has iSight built-in!

I think this will be optional.

As far as I know the current Cinema Displays don't even have a build-in microphone, so I'm not sure why Apple would suddenly have a change of heart when it comes to additional features. Or am I totally misinformed here?

As far as I know the current Cinema Displays don't even have a build-in microphone, so I'm not sure why Apple would suddenly have a change of heart when it comes to additional features. Or am I totally misinformed here?

i dont understand why you would want a built in microphone in a monitor.......

if they add an isight then yes but why are you complaining the original cinema display didnt have microphones? :pinch:

i dont understand why you would want a built in microphone in a monitor.......

if they add an isight then yes but why are you complaining the original cinema display didnt have microphones? :pinch:

For basically the same reason you would want an iSight in a Cinema Display? To use in combination with iChat or whatever IM application.

And man WTF?! How am I complaining and who's talking about the original Cinema Displays? :blink:

I was simply explaining why I think it's debatable if Apple will incorporate iSights in their next-gen displays as the current ones don't even have a build-in microphone unlike the eMac, iMac, iBook and PowerBook models when it got introduced (following Game's logic).

Edited by Neowave

Of course the screenshots are fake. Did any of you really think they were real to begin with? Or the story for that matter?

I'm sure Apple would be showing off screenshots with Azureus BitTorrent downloads on the desktop. Or they just happened to change their standard outset black transparency. Or they decided to start using mis-asligned GUI elements.

And what is all this talk about iPhone, etc...? What part of developers conference is so hard to understand?

And what is all this talk about iPhone, etc...? What part of developers conference is so hard to understand?

Em, A whole new platform to develop apps for maybe? Farfetched I know, but still :)

And those screenshots are clearly faked, really bad too.

"Among" is the key word here.
Oops, I missed that. :blush:

Still, those screenshots are obviously fake and those "features" are nothing but speculation IMO.