• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

WWDC 2006

Groffy77    0

Omg. I think I just got the "Vista 2.0" thing. Ok, so during the time from the last WWDC to when Vista is released, Apple will/have released 2 operating systems. I think it is supposed to be a joke on that, calling Leopard Vista 2.0...

Haha, don't mind me, I just can't wait until tomarrow!

MonkeyClaw    9

Its just a MS jab, just like in 04 when they had posters saying "Redmond start your photocopiers" and other little jabs.

Groffy77    0

Ok, so then I kinda had the right idea. (Whoosh!)

TimRogers    0

And so, the iPhone speculation reaches new heights...

canbeli    0

6 hours left..

too bad it would be 1am here when he starts the keynote.

next morning there's school and its' national day celebrations at school here for me...and after that i'm staying in school until quite late in the afternoon. maybe can't watch. maybe i'll use the school computers and try see if there's quicktime.

shawn    0

6 hours left..

too bad it would be 1am here when he starts the keynote.

next morning there's school and its' national day celebrations at school here for me...and after that i'm staying in school until quite late in the afternoon. maybe can't watch. maybe i'll use the school computers and try see if there's quicktime.

same here.. heh... at least I got me laptop so gonna bring it to school and download the keynote...

Chicane-UK    674

What time does the keynote start in GMT?

Cyrana    0

What time does the keynote start in GMT?

Spielo    0

Omg. I think I just got the "Vista 2.0" thing. Ok, so during the time from the last WWDC to when Vista is released, Apple will/have released 2 operating systems. I think it is supposed to be a joke on that, calling Leopard Vista 2.0...

Haha, don't mind me, I just can't wait until tomarrow!

It's referring to the fact that Tiger was bringing many of Vista's key features to Mac users a year before Vista's release. It's now been 2 years since then and Vista still hasn't shown. Meanwhile, Apple have been working to beat their "vista-beater"... So since Tiger was Apple's answer to Vista, Leopard is Apple's answer to Vista's replacement.

Spacedog    0

...and to add fuel on the already hysterical wait... some torrents sites posted a supposed 10.5 beta dvd, claimed to be taken from the ones that will be given to developers starting today, during the preparations of the WWDC... guess some people just want it really bad ;)

Chicane-UK    674

1800.. arrghh.. will be going shopping about then! Need to speak to my flatmate and try and rally him sooner then! :)

Want to be back to watch the hype machine at work!! :D

bdsams    365

It's referring to the fact that Tiger was bringing many of Vista's key features to Mac users a year before Vista's release. It's now been 2 years since then and Vista still hasn't shown. Meanwhile, Apple have been working to beat their "vista-beater"... So since Tiger was Apple's answer to Vista, Leopard is Apple's answer to Vista's replacement.

I dont agree with you their, unless leopard is a complete re-write then its not really 2 versions ahed of xp or vista...whatever im a mac fan dont get me wrong but i think you may have overstated that just a bit...id think of it more like vista service pack 1.

Anywho, where can i get live updates? Not a stream but updates with pics as i cant watch the live stream at work

dduardo    0

And shortly after the keynote speech:

Newswire 13:30 PST: Redmond Washington based Microsoft Coporation has decided to push back the release of Windows Vista until Q3 2007.

shawn    0

that was totally unneeded...

cptcaveman2004    0

but since the UK is currently in BST, its actually gonna start at 1700!

chrismaddern    0

What do you mean Vista 1.0?!

Ok... there have been some on-the-surface features that were announced for vista, and Apple jumped in and programmed them for OS X.

OS X hasn't really recieved a complete rewrite for as long as it's been out; hence the 0.1 increments; yet you all rush out and buy them for ?60 - ?70 to get what MS would release as SP1 and SP2.

Mac OS doesn't and probably never will support any of the new programming technologies and communication principles used by windows Vista.

I'm not saying it's better, merely that MS have completely rewritten windows, whilst some code editting done by apple is being compared to it.

I own both a PC and Mac, and love them both, but I feel that Mac fans are far too hard on MS in regard to Vista features against Tiger. Vista will power the industry for the next 5 or so years, Mac OS will have to recieve many edits, and probably at least one rewrite in this time to keep up, and still willl not see the large scale adoption of Vista.

MS are doing what everyone complains that they never do; taking time, and getting it right. Now they are being criticised for it; just think, I've spent ?80 on windows in the last 5 years, and ?280 on MAC OS; and I use windows more.

Chris

(Please note, this was not intended to offend anyone, and I realise that it is slightly off topic. I just felt that some people in the thread were making very sweeping statements and may even appreciate the attempt at education. If you do not like it, just ignore me; I'm just a consumer. If you are a mod, then feel free to delete / move this reply.)

Southern Patriot    934

I dont agree with you their, unless leopard is a complete re-write then its not really 2 versions ahed of xp or vista...whatever im a mac fan dont get me wrong but i think you may have overstated that just a bit...id think of it more like vista service pack 1.

Anywho, where can i get live updates? Not a stream but updates with pics as i cant watch the live stream at work

I don't get your logic. Contrary to "Internet lore", Vista is NOT a complete re-write of Windows. If you think about it, Leopard will be the fourth new version of OS X since Windows XP was released, since XP and OS X 10.1 were released at nearly the same time (about a month apart).

OS X hasn't really recieved a complete rewrite for as long as it's been out; hence the 0.1 increments; yet you all rush out and buy them for ?60 - ?70 to get what MS would release as SP1 and SP2.

If I hear this BS line from one more person, I swear I'm going to scream. You CANNOT seriously compare the new releases of OS X to service packs. That is just plain ignorant. Oh, and by the way, Windows 2000 was Windows 5.0, and Windows XP was Windows 5.1, so by your twisted logic, Windows XP was nothing more than a service pack for Windows 2000. The Wikipedia article on OS X has a nice breakdown of the major features added with each release of the OS. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_os_x#Versions

Edited by roadwarrior

canbeli    0

same here.. heh... at least I got me laptop so gonna bring it to school and download the keynote...

Private laptops have some troubles connecting to wireless AND wired networks so i think i'd be better off with the school comps.

If I hear this BS line from one more person, I swear I'm going to scream. You CANNOT seriously compare the new releases of OS X to service packs. That is just plain ignorant. Oh, and by the way, Windows 2000 was Windows 5.0, and Windows XP was Windows 5.1, so by your twisted logic, Windows XP was nothing more than a service pack for Windows 2000.

Nice one there man.

Anyway i'm staying up to watch macrumourslive.com text updates.

Chicane-UK    674

Oh FFS.. lets just ditch the fanboy wars and keep this one OT. I wanna talk about WWDC - not bloody Vista. Its not as if it hasn't been discussed to death already!

ad345zAdZ0d9_    0

Oh my golly gosh. I think I did a little sex wee, in anticipation

bdsams    365

I don't get your logic. Contrary to "Internet lore", Vista is NOT a complete re-write of Windows. If you think about it, Leopard will be the fourth new version of OS X since Windows XP was released, since XP and OS X 10.1 were released at nearly the same time (about a month apart).

If I hear this BS line from one more person, I swear I'm going to scream. You CANNOT seriously compare the new releases of OS X to service packs. That is just plain ignorant. Oh, and by the way, Windows 2000 was Windows 5.0, and Windows XP was Windows 5.1, so by your twisted logic, Windows XP was nothing more than a service pack for Windows 2000. The Wikipedia article on OS X has a nice breakdown of the major features added with each release of the OS. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_os_x#Versions

I think your failing to see the release difference betwen vista and XP, its not comparable to OSX 10.4-10.5 its a vast improvement on the entire scale of the OS not segragated portions as the OSX engineers generally lean towards...dont get me wrong im very excitied about todays WWDC but sometimes i think to many people get sucked into all the hype and have images skewed in their head that OSX is the only operating system world > osx

Southern Patriot    934

I think your failing to see the release difference betwen vista and XP, its not comparable to OSX 10.4-10.5

I see it perfectly well. Vista will finally be getting XP caught up (feature wise) with where OS X was with the release of 10.4. Unfortunately, 10.5 will most likely be shipping around the same time, if not sooner (given the recent announcement that Vista's ship date may be slipping AGAIN), and will take OS X to the next level.

canbeli    0

How do you know that OS X 10.5 hasn't got as many new features as Vista?

Wait and see...3.5 hours left. I bet it's amazing.

"These thing are screamers" haha

Digitalx    17

is their any live like video streams of key notes on the net ?

link if there is plz ?

PyX    140

I doubt too that Leopard is going to have as many new features as Vista, but it already contains some features that Vista introduces. Even if some features are cut off, Vista has a plenty of new features, but as I said, some of them (I'd say most, but some people could whine) are already in Tiger.

Now, if Leopard has that many features.... obviously I'm one of the first one who buys it :p (that's if the features look good and useful!). WWDC isn't going to talk JUST about Leopard anyway, Leopard is a big part, but there's so many other things... can't wait to see if this new iPod nano will have the new virtual clickwheel... but it'd be too small for my hands :rofl:

I can't wait to see if a link will be posted already when I'm back from the job... 9 more hours for me...