Microsoft Xbox 360 HD-DVD Addon a Beast?

GTA SA had to suffer because of lack of space. You know why you can't climb those ladders on every ship ? It personnally annoys me a lot. Anyways I read in an article they took the ladder climbing feature out because of space reasons.

We can safelly* assume that the next GTA will need more space than a DVD9 unless its smaller than San Andreas.

GTA SA had to suffer because of lack of space. You know why you can't climb those ladders on every ship ? It personnally annoys me a lot. Anyways I read in an article they took the ladder climbing feature out because of space reasons.

We can safelly* assume that the next GTA will need more space than a DVD9 unless its smaller than San Andreas.

That's interesting. I didn't know that. Link?

Also, GTA:SA on the PS2 is 4.19GB. So unless they were restricted to single layer DVDs, I find it hard to believe that they 'ran out of space' and took the feature out and maybe used that excuse as a convenient scapegoat (if what you claim is true). What's more plausible, however, is that there was some sort of memory space/bandwidth issues in the previous generation, a problem that won't/shouldn't be present in next-gen consoles.

So can we safely assume that the next GTA will need more space than DVD5? Maybe. More than DVD9? Highly unlikely unless the GTA guys suddenly went FMV-happy. :p

Something doesnt add up there. :D

I'd also like to see the link to that. Not being able to climb a ladder in a ship and blaming it on disk space doesn't make much sense :\

Also, GTA:SA on the PS2 is 4.19GB. So unless they were restricted to single layer DVDs, I find it hard to believe that they 'ran out of space' and took the feature out and maybe used that excuse as a convenient scapegoat (if what you claim is true). What's more plausible, however, is that there was some sort of memory space/bandwidth issues in the previous generation, a problem that won't/shouldn't be present in next-gen consoles.

So can we safely assume that the next GTA will need more space than DVD5? Maybe. More than DVD9? Highly unlikely unless the GTA guys suddenly went FMV-happy. :p

I heard SA uses DVD9, but doesn't fill it up.

It'd be interesting to see the size of the map of Saint's Row, which has better graphics than GTA:SA. That obviously fits on a DVD9.

It'd be interesting to see the size of the map of Saint's Row, which has better graphics than GTA:SA. That obviously fits on a DVD9.
I doubt it would be much more. Side note: I didn't think Saint's Row looked that great anyway. :p

I doubt it would be much more. Side note: I didn't think Saint's Row looked that great anyway. :p

Well, it doesn't look like Toy Story, but it is a leap forward from the GTA graphics. Remember that GTA looks like it does (and is fiercely defended) because of it's free roam characteristic. If it has a bigger map than GTA, apparently it has more variety in NPCs and more variety in dialogue from the NPCs, I haven't heard about the variety of vehicles, and on and on. If Saint's Row can deliver all that under DVD9, expecially if you consider how much over DVD5 would it be, then you can extrapolate how much GTA IV may or may not need. Definitely not 50Gb, though.

Here is what I could find http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtop...p;#entry3488153

Again, That wasn't my source, I read this in an EGM Afterthought of the game. It also had a Halo and Metroid Prime Afterthoughts in the same magazine. I can't recall wich month though as I don't own that issue.

As for the formats consult this link. http://www.gtasanandreas.net/overview/

EDIT: The issue was #187 January 2005

egm_jan_cover.jpg

A snippet of the interview here, http://egm.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3136910

Electronic Gaming Monthly magazine has done an article about Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas in its January issue (number 187). The article appears in the "Afterthoughts" feature.

EGM interviewed Terry Donovan (CEO, Rockstar Games), Sam Houser (President, Rockstar Games) and Dan Houser (creative director) about the development process behind San Andreas. The feature also includes a "10 things you didn't know about San Andreas" bit which uncovers the known easter eggs, strange references, neat tricks and even has the fake picture of bigfoot.

Edited by -Anthony

Yeah, Sony's formats haven't done too well as of late :pinch:

Sony formats haven't been doing too well as of late? They haven't been doing great with them for 20+ years.

Here is what I could find http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtop...p;#entry3488153

Again, That wasn't my source, I read this in an EGM Afterthought of the game. It also had a Halo and Metroid Prime Afterthoughts in the same magazine. I can't recall wich month though as I don't own that issue.

As for the formats consult this link. http://www.gtasanandreas.net/overview/

EDIT: The issue was #187 January 2005

egm_jan_cover.jpg

A snippet of the interview here, http://egm.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3136910

DVD5!

DVD5!

:rofl: :rofl: :yes:

@-Anthony: From your own link...

The "code" for climbing ladder doesn't exist in San Andreas and it doesn't take much space in San Andreas. Probably a few KB large and that is it. If you want a mod that makes you "climb" (teleports) you up or down the ladder, I might be able to make one for you.
And considering the game was 4.19GB (on a DVD5) then surely they still had room even for that 'code'. Edited by magik

Yeah, its case of it being removed cos it was causing problems with the engine I should think, since there are ladders in the game, just that you can't use any of them.

Why remove something cos of space, but then keep the part that would use the most space? (the actual ladders) And climbing wouldn't be hard to do at all really... so I would probably say they're just there for decoration.

One or the other. Email them and find out perhaps? :)