Microsoft Xbox 360 HD-DVD Addon a Beast?

^ Agreed, Sheppard is incorrect in saying that HD-DVD based movies will always be sold for cheaper than Blu-Ray movies. That may not always be the case (as you pointed out simply by pulling up current list prices on Amazon.com). However, HD-DVD is cheaper to produce (both the Disc as well as the Player itself) and thus there is more profit to be had, which in turn is more attractive to producers.

It has to be said:

If you have an Xbox360 and the relatively large HD-DVD addon, it takes up way too much space and it looks a mess. Suddenly the PS3's size doesn't seem so bad...

Except that Sony can't make that excuse because their drive is integrated. If MS had managed to wait and produce a 360 with an integrated drive, wouldn't it be roughly the same size it is now?

Except that Sony can't make that excuse because their drive is integrated. If MS had managed to wait and produce a 360 with an integrated drive, wouldn't it be roughly the same size it is now?

People complain about the PS3's size, but ignore the fact that there's a Blu-ray drive built in. This demonstrates exactly why - all that brand new technology means the size will inevitably be big. Hypothetically speaking, if they could put the HD-DVD drive inside without increasing the overall size of the Xbox 360, then why is the addon so large?

I personally don't care, because I won't be moving anything around, but it does show that when you try to match up the technology in the 360 and PS3, things even out in terms of size. (In fact, The Xbox 360 doesn't have the PSU built in, whilst the PS3 does)

People complain about the PS3's size, but ignore the fact that there's a Blu-ray drive built in. This demonstrates exactly why - all that brand new technology means the size will inevitably be big. Hypothetically speaking, if they could put the HD-DVD drive inside without increasing the overall size of the Xbox 360, then why is the addon so large?

I personally don't care, because I won't be moving anything around, but it does show that when you try to match up the technology in the 360 and PS3, things even out in terms of size. (In fact, The Xbox 360 doesn't have the PSU built in, whilst the PS3 does)

Meh, far too many people complained about the original Xbox size, but in the end, size doesn't make a matter of difference in the world if someone actually wants the thing. People will make room if, for some odd reason or another, they don't have enough already. But just realize that just like the Xbox got made fun of for it's size, so will the PS3, but in the end, it's not a big deal.

I personally think that the drive goes well with the 360. It doesn't really matter for me though, as I don't have an HDTV, and probably won't have one for a few years. And going on that, it kinda nullifies your size argument, as 1) You can't see my PSU, and 2) I won't have an HD-DVD because I don't need one, so mine is still smaller. Still doesn't matter though - if I actually would want a PS3, the size wouldn't make any difference.

-Spenser

Don't you mean you couldn't care less?

post-2250-1154710860.png

And what everyone is forgetting is that 3 years down the road, if Blu-Ray does take off, you will be able to buy a Blu-Ray add-on for the XBox 360. The same can't be said of the PS3 if Blu-Ray fails.

And what everyone is forgetting is that 3 years down the road, if Blu-Ray does take off, you will be able to buy a Blu-Ray add-on for the XBox 360. The same can't be said of the PS3 if Blu-Ray fails.

Well, they say that, but Sony would probably have some say in whether this can happen. And you know they'll refuse...they'll just tell everyone to get a PS3 on Blu-ray player.

Power, duplicated circuit boards, etc. most likely. External CD-ROMs are bigger than their internal counterparts also. But you missed my point; the PS3 is huge without an addon. If MS had waited, I expect they would have had a similar console size with the HD-DVD drive integrated, which would still be smaller than Sony's offering.

I also don't understand the difference size would make in a console. LAN gamers carry around bigger PCs when they need to. I also don't understand why any bothers defending the console sizes. ;)

Well, they say that, but Sony would probably have some say in whether this can happen.

Wait, didn't you say that this was not Sony's format alone? What say would they have?

Wait, didn't you say that this was not Sony's format alone? What say would they have?

It is Sonys format they licence the technology and they get royalties from it, they could turn round and not licence it to Microsoft then they couldnt create a Blu-Ray addon.

Well, they say that, but Sony would probably have some say in whether this can happen. And you know they'll refuse...they'll just tell everyone to get a PS3 on Blu-ray player.

So you're saying that they'll deny a company (any company) a license to sell a Blu-Ray player because they compete with them? Do you really think Sony would want to face that PR nightmare? And do you think the Sony movie studio would want to alienate all the XBox 360 users because the gaming division wants to push some more hardware?

Say what you want but MS is behind HD-DVD. Infact I bet your even posting on a computer running Windows. I dont care how few people are willing to shell out for an overpriced console. How many computer manufacturers would stick consumers with Blu-Ray if Microsoft was to cripple support for it in Vista?

A lot of say. They lead the Blu-ray Disc Association. So even though they don't control the whole thing, they're like the CEO of the organisation.

But yeah, I guess you guys are right - looking at the other side of it, by licensing the Blu-ray addon for the Xbox 360, they're just going to get Blu-ray movie royalties.

I wonder what Microsoft gets out of selling the HD-DVD addon...surely it's not only the revenue from selling the addon itself.

I wonder what Microsoft gets out of selling the HD-DVD addon...surely it's not only the revenue from selling the addon itself.

It's to offer next-gen format movie playback capabilities. (Something Joel doesn't seem to be able to grasp :p )

Why should Microsoft bother? Well, of course, because their closest competitor is offering similar functionality, it would be foolish not to offer this addon.

It's to offer next-gen format movie playback capabilities. (Something Joel doesn't seem to be able to grasp :p )

Yes, but not games, as you don't seem to grasp. So that article you re-posted regarding the comparison Blu-Ray and HD-DVD still doesn't belong in the Gamers forums. ;)

Yes, but not games, as you don't seem to grasp. So that article you re-posted regarding the comparison Blu-Ray and HD-DVD still doesn't belong in the Gamers forums. ;)

I already explained it to you, please, stay on topic. :)

Pot, meet kettle.

Yes because referring to a completely different post is related to this topic. ;)

Honestly I think the PS3 will sell because you will still have some die hard sony fans, whether the format flops or not wont be because of the console. If anything I see both formats being used just like with the dvd+-R war that went on. I wont be one of those people to get a ps3 till the price drops below $300, it was hugely overpriced at launch and this one will be too. Now what will kill the PS3 is if they end up having a ton of defective consoles. One of my best friends got a ps2 at launch and all it did was literally eat games, it would cause the games to land in the tray while still spinning and be scratched. He went thru about 3 ps2s during the past few years because of this same issue. He finally got lucky when the slimline came out and has not had any problems since then.

Honestly I think the PS3 will sell because you will still have some die hard sony fans, whether the format flops or not wont be because of the console. If anything I see both formats being used just like with the dvd+-R war that went on. I wont be one of those people to get a ps3 till the price drops below $300, it was hugely overpriced at launch and this one will be too. Now what will kill the PS3 is if they end up having a ton of defective consoles. One of my best friends got a ps2 at launch and all it did was literally eat games, it would cause the games to land in the tray while still spinning and be scratched. He went thru about 3 ps2s during the past few years because of this same issue. He finally got lucky when the slimline came out and has not had any problems since then.
Yea, I agree. I really don't see either of these formats really failing. It's not like a world of a difference (physically) with the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD as was with Betamax and VHS. I think both formats will co-exist, especially since there are already early reports of manufacturers creating dual-lens/dual-format (HD-DVD and Blu-Ray) players.

However, in terms of gaming consoles for this coming generation, I think that the margin of victory will be very minimal (as opposed to PS2s lead versus Xbox/GameCub this gen). Whether it is Microsoft or Sony or Nintendo on top is irrelevant because I think overall the market-share will be fairly even. What will be interesting is the next-next-gen, however. :p

Yea, I agree. I really don't see either of these formats really failing. It's not like a world of a difference (physically) with the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD as was with Betamax and VHS. I think both formats will co-exist, especially since there are already early reports of manufacturers creating dual-lens/dual-format (HD-DVD and Blu-Ray) players.

However, in terms of gaming consoles for this coming generation, I think that the margin of victory will be very minimal (as opposed to PS2s lead versus Xbox/GameCub this gen). Whether it is Microsoft or Sony or Nintendo on top is irrelevant because I think overall the market-share will be fairly even. What will be interesting is the next-next-gen, however. :p

The early reports of manufacturers creating dual players was one manufacturer (LG) who has announced they cancelled the plans for dual format players. http://www.dvd-recordable.org/Article2872.phtml

I don't care how big it is as long as the damn thing puts out at 1080p so my TV can have a good time.

will not put out 1080p.. the Xbox 360's hardware cant support it.

now.. for the PS3 and Blue-Ray... its can display its Blue-Raly DVD's and its games are displayed in 1080p..

The 360 can only reach 1080i

This thread needs to be cleaned. Ontopic, I don't plan to adopt an HDTV anytime soon, and I think these formats are 1-2 years ahead of their times.

I don't see why anyone really cares about whether or not a console can play a movie. If history repeats itself then the hd-dvd and blu-ray playback will look awful compared to a stand alone player. The ps2, xbox, and x360 are pretty bad when it comes to dvd playback. And if you disagree then you don't have a good enough tv to see the difference between a good and bad player and will have zero use for a blu-ray or hd-dvd player ;).

Also, there is no way of determining the impact that the ps3 will have on blu-ray movie sales. I agree that it's likely that blu-ray movie sales will spike around the launch of the ps3. UMD sales spiked when the psp was still in it's infancy. But it didn't last. Blu-ray does have a higher chance of lasting, but the ps3 will most likely have sub-par movie play-back and like others have mentioned cost near 1000 in packages. No one that is buying the format for image quality (something the current non-WB transfers lack anyways) will be buying a ps3 for movie playback.