Where were you when the WTC was attacked?

Where were you on 9-11 ?  

528 members have voted

1. 1. Where were you when the WTC was attacked?

• at home
    • at school
    • at work
    • on the road
    • sleeping
    • other (please mention)
    • dont remember

I was at school 5th grade to be exact. Around 10 people started getting called out. 1 at a time with no one knowing what happened. We went then went to gym and on are way back our teacher had to stop in the office. When she came out she was crying no one knew why. Then when we were walking up the stairwell to our class we heard jets flying over and asked what was happening. Our teacher (who was still crying) said they must be testing or something. For the rest of the day people just kept getting called out and are teacher crying. We didnt do anything that day and noone knew what was wrong, they never told us what happened at school though. I think they felt we were too young. I got called out at 2 and on my way home my dad told me what happned. I didnt know what to think since I was so young. It didnt feel normal and the whole situation felt uncomftorbale. Later my dad was thinking about going to ground zero to help out but he could not. The next day we found out that our teachers husband works in the wtc. Luckily he was on a buissness trip in a differnt building. She then showed us a picture of him and his friends who were taking a picture. At the exact timing of the picture the first plane hit. For the next few weeks everything was awkward. Every channel was about 9/11 not one held to its regular schedule. I also remember on the day of the attacks that everything was silent outside, no one out and everyone watching tv. People watching in the sky for planes. Now when I look back I notice how terrible those days were... :(

:( I was sitting in my English class and we always watched the news in the mornings before getting to work. Well, we all thought it was a movie advertisement before realizing that it was an attack. Horrible day--I'll never forget it.

i was @ home when this all happenied and boy while i lived at the time in washington state i was ****ed and still am ****ed at are goverment for letting this crap happen. anyways anyone gonna go see the

World trade center movie next week , i think it will be good since alot of the real life charcters portrade in the film were on set and involved with it so i may go see it

I was 11 years old at the time. Still sleeping. ( it was just about 7am here on the west coast ) when i worke up to Petter jennings voice. I first thought, a preview for world news tonight. but when i got up and went to the living room, thats when i saw it. I actuly saw a LIVE shot of the second plane hit the tower. ( cause at that time, it was all live, unedited) and i was shocked. when I went to school, a girl in my 6th grade class was crying cause her dad was over in new york. by the end of the day she found out he was ok.

i can't belave five years later they already have like three movies about 9/11. i think it still is a bit to soon. with peal harbor it took them about 20 years to make a movie ( tora, tora ) and 60 years to make another one. ( peal harbor, )

Wave' date='Aug 6 2006, 12:51' post='587762855']

I was in the school library on one of the computers during a first period spare.

I remember watching it all go down on the computer while a crowd of people stood around me watching. The rest of the day we watched the television and listened to the radio seeing everything unfold. It was quite the day.

Our teacher wouldnt let us watch it on tv :angry:

When it happened i was at school but i found out like 2 hours later when i got back home and turned on Sky news :(

Same here, no teachers mentioned anything in the day.

Was in school when 7/7 happened, tried to go on Wap and London Bombings came up as homepage, then it came on radio. Most of my class' spent rest of day checking websites for latest.

Ugh that reminds me, im off to Central London on Tuesday 8/8 :huh: im a little nervous about it for once, but it won't stop me from going!.

I was getting ready to go to class, turned on the TV and it happened that CNN was on...at first I thought they were showing the 1993 bombing, when all of a sudden the first tower fell. I still went to the UNI that day since I live in the middle of the country and didn't assume to be in any immediate danger. Throughout the day friends were calling me, most of them were freaking out...didn't have to work that day either, they closed early.

My experience was quite odd to be honest. I was in school (like many other replies posted), however the way I found out was quite weird. I recall it being after lunch (again, not exactly sure) and my teacher had came into class and took his glasses off, something we rarely saw from the teacher. Anyways, he started to calmly tell us what had happened and what shocks me to this day was how accurate he was about what would happen to the world. I remember he told us that the accident that had happened would change the world and that we'll never be as free when travelling, we'll all be more suspicious when on planes, etc. I at first thought "yeah right", but boy was I wrong :-|. My mother actually picked me up that day after school and I was eager to get home and to watch the news, at which time, most channels had cancelled their shows and had switched to the "breaking news" stance. I remember clearly on the 9/11 that CNN would continually run videotapes of the planes crashing with analysts would try to explain what exactly happened. It wasn't until later on that they explained that a man by the name of Osama Bin Laden might have been the one responsible, a man I didn't know of until that day.

Interesting thread to say the least.

I had woken up and put on a New Jersey rock and roll station, unusual in the Bronx, NY I often listen to WFUV at Ford University. The station had someone on their cell phone calling in they had just seen a plane crashing into one of the WTC towers. I put the TV on. I had worked for a company on the 90-95 floors, that had left though, Envirosphere, a division of Ebasco, a Texas power plant designer and builder. The division was doing the archaeological clearance of Fort Drum, NY for the permanent relocation of the US Army 10 th Mountain Division from Camp Hale, Colorado back in 1984 or so. When I was there they were still in Jeeps, Huey's and old tanks, now in Blackhawks, Hummers, Bradleys and Abrams tanks, which fort drum was once used primarily for tank stationary firing exercise before the mobile training at Fort Erwin in the deserts of California, against then, our troops as Russians which as said always one. The property once had 10,000 people working in dairy and foundries. My girlfriend worked there in their office and were sent home one day as the sway in the wind was causing expected problems in the elevator shafts. Noticeably absent then, my neighbor a building inspector, were the lights in the stairwells, not built to NYC Building Code.

Added: It's interesting to recount that the orginal planned site for what became the World Trade Center, was in the current neighborhood of the South Street Seaport Historic District, the preferred location.

Edited by georgejmyersjr

I'm from Philly and was in Toronto on business. Someone came and told me that two planes had just crashed into the WTC, I didn't believe them. I went into a lunch area and just stared at the TV, I couldn't belive what I was seeing. I wasn't able to leave the country for 11 days, I don't think I've ever missed my family so much.

It was freshman year at college. My school is about 1 hour outside of the city so I was sorta close.

I was in my room sound asleep, my father called my cell and woke me up...I was a bit annoyed to be honest, he mumbled something about "you need to go turn on the TV", I walked down the hall half asleep and went into the MPR (multi purpose room) and flipped on the tv and literally just dropped the phone.

I am not going to rehash all of that day, but I will never forget it, ever.

Was in school when 7/7 happened, tried to go on Wap and London Bombings came up as homepage, then it came on radio. Most of my class' spent rest of day checking websites for latest.

I was doing my Duke of Edinburgh award when 7/7 happened and there were teachers travelling in cars with radio's on all day and they never told us. I found out about 6 hours later when we got back to the main camp and some people told us.

i can't belave five years later they already have like three movies about 9/11. i think it still is a bit to soon. with peal harbor it took them about 20 years to make a movie ( tora, tora ) and 60 years to make another one. ( peal harbor, )

well really only 2 the flight 93 the one in theators tho them peaple couldant be invlved that was on the flight . and now world trade center directed by alliver stone , in witch world trade center is about the human race and the characters that are in the film that are being portrayed were on the set of the film ...

here is a link to the site that has interviews with the real peaple.. http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/wtc/itow/index.html

Will Jimeno witch is potrayed in the film says in his interview Quote: When peaple say it is to Soon It is never to soon to remeber the hope and love that came out of that day , ya know i ahh hear the to Soon statement everyday to soon to soon i dont know when it is not to soon you have acually peaple who survided that day i mean this film is comming out 5 years after the attack unless i am correct i was still in the hospital ther were books being published books being done documentaries being made i dont think this film is any differant if anything this film as taken the time to do the research have acual peaple involved to make it acurate.... The Real peaple from that day have been so supportive of this film police fireman port athority , that i thank them from the bottum of my heart

I was in my last year of grade school, and we just turned on our television and started watching cnn, eventually most of the other classrooms came and watched, it was pretty silent nonetheless.

I was in French class. My teacher came in and was crying, and she started telling us what happened. At first, I remember not believing what she was saying, but I realized she was telling the truth.... I don't think I immediately realized the consequences of the day (I was only 14), but I knew it was bad. :huh:

I was in French class. My teacher came in and was crying, and she started telling us what happened. At first, I remember not believing what she was saying, but I realized she was telling the truth.... I don't think I immediately realized the consequences of the day (I was only 14), but I knew it was bad. :huh:

same but i was asked to check the news on the internet but the internet was already slow as hell :laugh:

I was in my high school math class during my senior year when the first tower got hit. I, like every one else, thought some idiot flew into it by mistake... but the television was on in my next class (english) and we watched the second tower get hit. I called my family as soon as I could (95% of my family is in NJ/NY), and I heard them describe the smoke as they watched it billow up. With such a family history in the area, it was devastating to me...

i was at home, it was about 1:30am where i am and people were talking about it on IRC when it happened...not many ppl believed it so i turned on the tv and there was live coverage of what was going on, i saw the second plane hit plus the pentagon bomb.

I was in my dorm room sleeping when all of the sudden the phone starts ringing. I was like .. "wtf .. it's 9am!!!" And then the answering machine comes on and it's my mom - she is like "just wanted to let you know that I was ok .. something something" and I was like .. "umm .. what is she talking about???" She takes the PATH Train - and the train station is right under the WTC. So in a confused half asleep state - I turn on the TV when everything started going down. It didn't really sink in. Then the 2nd plane hit and bacame worried about my mom. All the phone circuits were busy and I couldn't get through to her (she was safe btw). Then the buildings fell .. and i was like "omg" I remember when the 2nd one fell, I was thinking "hrm .. the odds of one building falling down were great enough ... but BOTH!!??" I couldnt believe what I was seeing. I didnt realize the impact of everything until a day later when pictures circulated the internet of people jumping off the buildings holding hands and crap.

I was in Digital Media & Design class when it happened.

The teacher was lecturing us about design and whatnot until a lab-assistant told the teacher that she wanted to tell her something outside the classroom. So, the teacher walked out and about 10 seconds later, we heard "OH SH**!" from our teacher. Then entire class looked toward the doorway and the teacher walked in and explain what had happened. She then tried to continue w/ her lecture but at this point, everyone's mind was focused on the WTC that we didn't pay attention to the teacher at all.

About 30 minutes later, we were told to leave the school for the day and that we wouldn't have class the following day. So, I went home and right when I was about to unlock the front door to get in, my Mom opened the door and I could hear the TV loudly and she told me that one of the buildings had fallen. I was shocked. Then, a couple of minutes later, we were watching the news and the second tower fell and we were just horrified.

Here in Orlando, Florida (major tourist attraction), we're always seeing dozens of airplanes flying above all the time. The night of 9/11, it seemed like the world had stopped or everyone had vanished because the night was too quiet and dead. It was a surreal feeling.

I have much respect for everyone (and their families) that perished in that event.

:unsure:

i didn't know until i walked into my 2nd period History class when the TV was on and it showed one of the towers after it was hit and i'm thinking.. WTF

we just sat there silent watching waiting for them to show a replay of the plane hitting then we saw the second plane hit.. we didn't do anything that day.

what i do remember thinking is how the two years i spent preparing for my future, went down the drain in 2 seconds, my dream of joining the Air Force and everything, but nope.. it was already jepordized when bush was elected, then thsi happened.

At university. I was in a class and someone came it and told us. Then the professor didn't let us out to see what was happening.