UEFA Champions League Thread

UEFA Champions League 2006-07  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the UEFA Champions League 2006-07?

• Barcelona
    • Chelsea
    • Bayern Munich
    • Liverpool
    • Real Madrid
    • Manchester United
    • Arsenal
    • AC Milan
    • FC Porto
    • Celtic
  2. 2. Who will be the top goal scorer?

• Thierry Henry
    • Frank Lampard
    • Wayne Rooney
    • Andriy Shevchenko
    • Ronaldinho
    • Kaka
    • Klose
    • Steven Gerrard
    • Ronaldo
    • Lionel Messi

I'm not really botherd about who wins. But this ref is rubbish. Slight touches and stumbles will result in a free kick or a yellow card.

This will lead to some intresting goals.

What a result for Liverpool! I was worried they'd get slaughtered after the first 15mins but Barca just couldn't really pull it together like they able to and Liverpool played well. Shame Liverpool's goals didn't come in the second half though, I would have won ?170.

COME ON YOU REDDDDDDDDSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

WOOOHOOOOO

2 away goals to take with us to the fortress that is anfield. wahey!

although, the camera action in both games (liverpool and chelski) were shoddy and so was the refereeing!

Well, ref was ok, good result for liverpool, camera work was appauling, but the worst of all was barcelona, i am truely dissapointed, i thought they were meant to be a football team, not a bunch of fairy's, seriously, UEFA need to sort out this diving, if the play goes down and there is no contact, they should recieve a one match suspension for every time it happens, there are enough cameras to form a decision, we need to come down hard on this diving cos its spoiling the game, football - contact sport, not any more!

The referee was terrible, he would not let play flow and 80% of the decisions he made where wrong. Did anyone else think the Spanish camera men did a crap job as well? You could not even see the ball half the time.

Bellamy was a legend with his Golf club celebration :D

indexphpactiondlattachtnr6.png

73385455gz7.jpg

I forgot to mention, Carra was my man of the match!

Well, ref was ok, good result for liverpool, camera work was appauling, but the worst of all was barcelona, i am truely dissapointed, i thought they were meant to be a football team, not a bunch of fairy's, seriously, UEFA need to sort out this diving, if the play goes down and there is no contact, they should recieve a one match suspension for every time it happens, there are enough cameras to form a decision, we need to come down hard on this diving cos its spoiling the game, football - contact sport, not any more!

Right, and how exactly do you determine whether there was contact or not during a game? In fact, how do you define contact? Bearing in mind these players are running faster that most of us can imagine.

Obviously there are some cases in which diving is blatant (C. Ronaldo anyone?), but you have to appreciate the skill and pace in the game, and the slightest hint of physical contact will bring a player down. And yeah, they will make a meal of it, wouldn't you?

Seriously, the subject has had it's fair share of discussion, and I think for the time being we just have to accept it's part of the modern game. I'm sick of all these announcers whining on about modern players being soft, modern players diving. The game has evolved.

Get over it.

As for the game, well I'm hugely disappointed as a Barca fan. Terrible performance.

Obviously there are some cases in which diving is blatant (C. Ronaldo anyone?), but you have to appreciate the skill and pace in the game, and the slightest hint of physical contact will bring a player down. And yeah, they will make a meal of it, wouldn't you?

You have to admit, barca went down a lot tonight, and liverpool aint the most physical team, and it wasnt as tho there was a lot of skill making most of your players go down so easily! :rofl:

for an example of the shoddy refereeing, in the chelski game, essien (i think) tackled i think Assuncao right by the half way line touchline, got the ball cleanly, in the second half, was an amazing tackle i reckon, and although the player went down, took the ball cleanly from him...and gave a free kick.... was shocking

also, i swear the camera men were blind and were operating under radio - "left a bit, down a bit,right,etc etc" was really really poor!

• 2 weeks later...

well, great match as martyn said, hope the REM conection (ronnie; eto'o & messi) work it and get home with the win and the pass

Get in there! Liverpool are through! I hardly have any nails left now, I was crapping myself all the way through, especially in the last fifteen minutes just after Barca scored. Liverpool played very well and we controlled the game, just as we did during most of the game at the Nou Camp. The atmosphere at Anfield was fantastic and I think it really helped lift the players at the end of the game when we started to get a bit heavy legged! I think we where unlucky not to win though, we hit the crossbar twice and we should of scored when Valdes made two great saves and then Puyol cleared off the line, but I knew Barca would end up scoring as it just had to be a nervy finale, there was just no other way!

Carra was IMMENSE!

You'll Never Walk Alone