UEFA Champions League Thread

UEFA Champions League 2006-07  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the UEFA Champions League 2006-07?

• Barcelona
    • Chelsea
    • Bayern Munich
    • Liverpool
    • Real Madrid
    • Manchester United
    • Arsenal
    • AC Milan
    • FC Porto
    • Celtic
  2. 2. Who will be the top goal scorer?

• Thierry Henry
    • Frank Lampard
    • Wayne Rooney
    • Andriy Shevchenko
    • Ronaldinho
    • Kaka
    • Klose
    • Steven Gerrard
    • Ronaldo
    • Lionel Messi

they should get rid of the away goals rule. make matches more exciting, rather than the home team playing defensively.

I completely agree, it does not make for a better game at all, but credit to Liverpool for bringing the game to us when they could have played 9 in defence.

No I think the away goal rule should definitely stay. ;):p

Rafa's tiptop tactics were spot on again tonight. Defense was so organised. Should have put the chances away but overall. PLEASED. There's still three stages to go and as much as I enjoyed the Victory tonight it's just a peice of the puzzle.

Did anybody see the fights between Valencia and Inter? Crazy kids.

Shame Arsenal didn't make it through, should have scored more than one goal but then again PSV should have gotten at least one penalty probably two. Nice to see 3 English teams in the last 8 though. :)

While I hope that Man Utd. will lift the trophy this year, based on their current form I can't see them making it past the next round.

As of now, I feel that Liverpool are in pole position followed closely by Bayern or Valencia.

However, we all know how quickly things can change in football.

While I hope that Man Utd. will lift the trophy this year, based on their current form I can't see them making it past the next round.

Based on their current from? They've been playing really well lately IMO, what is it that makes you think they haven't?

Based on their current from? They've been playing really well lately IMO, what is it that makes you think they haven't?

I think Man Utd have been playing poorly recently, but they are still getting the results. I think they will struggle with Rooney and Smith there only fit strikers.

I think Olympique Lyonnais was one of the best team of the moment, but they play very bad vas As Roma on the last match :(

If they had play same as CL begining, I think they could win the CL 2007.

I think Man Utd have been playing poorly recently, but they are still getting the results. I think they will struggle with Rooney and Smith there only fit strikers.

To me that's the sign of a good team, although I don't think they've played that poorly and I think they are probably the team that looks like they have the best team spirit and understanding between each other in my opinion, as well as Liverpool, obviously they will suffer after losing Larsson though.

Anyhow, here is the draw.

Quarter-final draw

AC Milan v Bayern Munich

PSV Eindhoven v Liverpool

Roma v Manchester United

Chelsea v Valencia

(First legs to be played on 3/4 April and second legs on 10/11 April)

Semi-final draw

Chelsea or Valencia v PSV Eindhoven or Liverpool

Roma or Manchester United v AC Milan or Bayern Munich

(First legs to be played on 24/25 April and second legs on 1/2 May)

I honestly feel Liverpool can win the Champions League again this year.

We played PSV in the group stages, we drew 0-0 away and won 2-0 at home. We can beat them and fare better than Arsenal in the quarter finals. Then we would have Chelsea or Valencia in the semi's, and we all know what happened last time we played Chelsea in the Champions League semi final (see here and here), Valencia would be a good team to play as well due to Rafa's affiliations, and then knowing how things turn out in football we will end up playing Man Utd in the final. I can feel it in my water!

Lets not get ahead of ourselves though, PSV is the next step and as long as we do not get complacent I am pretty confident :).

Not bad draw...Liverpool have a mega chance imo in making it 6...if they get the right results its theirs I think. :)

I honestly feel Liverpool can win the Champions League again this year.

We played PSV in the group stages, we drew 0-0 away and won 2-0 at home. We can beat them and fare better than Arsenal in the quarter finals. Then we would have Chelsea or Valencia in the semi's, and we all know what happened last time we played Chelsea in the Champions League semi final (see here and here), Valencia would be a good team to play as well due to Rafa's affiliations, and then knowing how things turn out in football we will end up playing Man Utd in the final. I can feel it in my water!

Lets not get ahead of ourselves though, PSV is the next step and as long as we do not get complacent I am pretty confident :).

any team at this point can win i think.. i dont think many people expected a final in 04 with porto-monaco.

anyway, i'm hoping for a milan-liverpool final, with obviously a milan win! :)

• 2 weeks later...
any team at this point can win i think.. i dont think many people expected a final in 04 with porto-monaco.

anyway, i'm hoping for a milan-liverpool final, with obviously a milan win! :)

keep dreaming. GO REDS! we can win it again this year, already toke out last years champs

You have to admit that they haven't been playing as well lately as they did for most of the season. Their performances have been rather average since that win against Spurs.

The reason I'm wary of their chances in the Champions League is that they have been rather average outside the Premiership. They haven't been near their best in either the FA Cup or the CL (except for that last match against Benfica). Unless their performance in Europe matches that in the Premiership, they'll have a hard time advancing, especially if they beat Roma.

The reason we won all those matches, aside from a good deal of luck and some brilliance i.e. Ronaldo, is because while we have been rather poor going forward, we have been great defensively, thus allowing us to snatch those late wins. That performance against Bolton at the weekend should signal a return to form, though.

• 2 weeks later...

dammmm howd we through a lead away twice against bayern.

played so well offensively and threw chances away

martyn, congrats on the win

Pretty good result 3 goals from home. Hope this means Liverpool still go after PSV with another thump in the next leg.

I hope Man Utd win tomorrow. I think they got the bottle to win against Roma. But at the moment Ronaldo and Rooney aren't getting goals in Europe that much. Rooney got nothingi in europe since 2004.

So it will be a tought test, but as I said before, they got bottle.