Getting iMac 24"

Does anybody else have an issue with having to wait for the airport menu to initialize in the menu bar, i.e: a longer wait than expected for the options to appear?
My 20" C2D doesn't have that problem.

I'm ordering mine along with a macbook...

iMac 24-inch 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (might upgrade to 2.33, I don't think its worth it but if I have the cash..)

2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB

NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB SDRAM

500GB Serial ATA drive

Wireless Keyboard and Mighty Mouse

I just need to order a damn desk for it. Anyone suggest anything? It just pretty much needs to be a big table. I don't need shelves.

i today looked into a gravis store which is a german reseller and they had all three, the 17", the 20" and the 24". i knew that 24" is huge and i knew that in comparison, 17" is small but what i saw today was just mind blowing... seeing the difference in real really gives you a whole new feeling to that.

man these 24" are so beautiful, the resolution and the screen itself is amazing, the unit is freaking thin and so quiet... just an awsome machine.

if i wasnt obligated to buy a portable, id defenately go with a 24" imac, since somehow it appears pretty cheap, the 24" with C2Duo 2,16, superdrive, 1 gb ram and a 250 gb hdd is "only" 1.929?.

I'm not gonna bother doing a review. It took about 3-4 days from Shangai. Played some more games on it, the machine is a beast (for an PC in this form factor, all things relative of course). The machine is silent as well, even when under full load. I'm encoding a DVD with both cores being utilised so it's 100% load and the machine is as responsive as when it's under zero load. Not to mention no fans have come on and it's still absolutely silent. Ear to the machine I still can't hear it over the faint hum from the powered up speakers, even when it's completely silent surroundings it's almost impossible to hear the fans.

tmlv5.jpg

Has bootcamp worked fine with it?

You suffered from any backlight bleeding or dead/stuck pixels?

Cheers

I'm quite interested in this aswell. I've read a couple of other posts of people who weren't able to install XP on the 24", but i'm not sure how widespread that problem is.

Also... did you get the wireless Mighty Mouse and keyboard? If so did you have to connect a wired mouse and keyboard during the xp install?

Thanks

I think they all come from Shanghai in China... I don't understand why mine came to alaska and then to memphis in USA... maybe just to stay in the USA, but damn... that is so stupid. It coul have taken less time if it came directly from alaska to ottawa..

Mine showed up pretty quick since I live in Alaska and yes they seem to be all coming from Shanghai. My wife's iPod came from there as well.

To answer the shipping questions. Track a package you order. Obviously Apple is an American company, so will naturally use American shipping sources. Those are major US airline/shipping hubs...especially Memphis. Shipping carriers (USPS, FedEx, UPS, DHL) ship long distance via air, and the packages are ultimately dropped at the closest hub and trucked to the location from there. Hope this answers why it seems like things have to go around your elbow to get to your a**hole!

Also... did you get the wireless Mighty Mouse and keyboard? If so did you have to connect a wired mouse and keyboard during the xp install?

Thanks

I have ordered the wireless set with mine, so i will see when i have it all installed :)

dude u should get the 500 GB HD since its gonna be the only one on the comp.

and i know this is off topic but how long does it take to transfer from paypal to bank? and how do u go about doing the transfer? sorry for askin this but now I tooo wanna buy a 24" iMac its soooo beautiful!

i was thinkin of switchin my whole life on computers to apple, changin my desktop and laptop all together. After seeing BF2 being played on an iMac is sickkkkkkkkk!

i was also wonderin wat kind of users use iMacs? cuz im torn between a MacPro or an iMac

I know this is a topic mostly about iMacs but I just thought I'd join in with my own little addition.

I'm a first time Mac owner (long-time admirer and lover from afar) and I went with the big guns right outta the chute.

Ordered my Mac Pro on Oct. 2nd

Specs:

2.66 GHz Quad Xeon

2GB 667 DDR2 FB DIMM ECC-4x512

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB

160GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s drive

2x16x SuperDrive DL

Airprt Extrm & BT 2.0+EDR

FedEx says Wednesday!

The wait has literally been the hardest thing in my entire life and I'm barely being sarcastic. I've been watching videos on YouTube and looking at pictures on Flickr just to stave off my jitters and feed my excitement.

I'd love to hear any other new Mac Pro owners comment on the machine. Absolutely anything!

Keep posting your new purchases, this is a good topic!

I have ordered the wireless set with mine, so i will see when i have it all installed :)

Great thanks. I'll be looking forward to reading about your experiences. If at all possible, it would be great if you would comment on the tft-panel quality also (backlight bleed, homogenity, dead/stuck pixels etc.)

Thanks again

XP installed fine, I didn't have to use a wired keyboard and mouse. One thing though, after first boot and install of the drivers from the Boot Camp driver CD it restarted and I lost my bluetooth keyboard. I'd entered an administrator password in the installation and as such I couldn't type it in. I didn't have a wired keyboard either so I just reinstalled over the top, good thing the install is only 15-20 mins.

Sometimes the wireless keyboard doesn't connect automatically either and you have to flick the switch off then on quickly to get it to connect.

No backlight bleed, no dead pixels. Never had a dead pixel on a Mac, guess I'm just lucky.

No backlight bleed, no dead pixels. Never had a dead pixel on a Mac, guess I'm just lucky.

Thats the only issue im worried about, hopefully mine will be like that :)

XP installed fine, I didn't have to use a wired keyboard and mouse. One thing though, after first boot and install of the drivers from the Boot Camp driver CD it restarted and I lost my bluetooth keyboard. I'd entered an administrator password in the installation and as such I couldn't type it in. I didn't have a wired keyboard either so I just reinstalled over the top, good thing the install is only 15-20 mins.

Sometimes the wireless keyboard doesn't connect automatically either and you have to flick the switch off then on quickly to get it to connect.

Ok, thanks for the feedback. Just ordered the 24" with 2GB ram, 256MB GFX and wireless goodness. Lets hope i'm as lucky as you :)

Thats the only issue im worried about, hopefully mine will be like that :)

ye, It was something that I was worried about and it came true :(. I am going to get in touch with apple this week and see what the can do. The guy in the store said they would take it back, not taking that as gospel though.

I think the 24" is too big for me. Actually I believe it may be the 1920x1200 resolution. The 20" and 1680x1050 is just right. I use 20" ACD's at school and I came to realize that 20" is fine, so the extra 4" and graphics card may be a waste of money. Plus, it's $400 cheaper...

God, I can't type for anything today.