Vista - Tips, Tricks & Tweaks

Try Windows + M :)

If you want to toggle it you can try MinUnMinAll or Win+D.exe (post #1).

i used the MinUnMinall tweak cause it toggles...i put it on my quick launch so all i have to do is hit Win + 2 (it's the second shortcut) I'm starting to like vista for the win + # shortcuts

i used the MinUnMinall tweak cause it toggles...i put it on my quick launch so all i have to do is hit Win + 2 (it's the second shortcut) I'm starting to like vista for the win + # shortcuts

Yep,.. it's a great feature. :)

Updated the Vista Clock: added the clock from Date & Time properties. :)

+ Tested the Shortcut overlay patch on Vista 64-bit (RC1 & 2).

Very useful things Herby, as usual great work! (added to neowin's unofficial guide)

Thanks,.. your Disabling Services guide is very useful too (added to the list). :)

Some great tips, thanks.

Can I ask, if I delete the hibernation file do I lose the Sleep ability? I had problems with recovering from Sleep in RC1 and I think it was because I had allowed Disk Cleanup to delete the Hibernation file.

Most Tweak programs remove the arrows by renaming or removing the IsShortCut String Values from the registry.

Windows uses this value to track links, if you remove or rename the IsShortCut value lots of programs and features that use links won't work correctly -> in Vista the shortcuts in Favorite Links, Media Center and in the Games Explorer won't work anymore.

Thank you! People on this forum and others are always recommending that others delete the IsShortcut key to remove the shortcut arrow. I always have to correct them, and tell them that there can be negative consequences, but no one ever listens.

Add "Show & Hide System Files" to the Context Menu from all folders

The files in the zip file below add a new Context Menu Item to all folders (also works in XP).

When you select it, it will Unhide or Hide the System & Hidden Files and refresh the directory.

A ToolTip will confirm if the files are hidden or unhidden.

Install: Copy SuperHidden.exe & msvcr71.dll to your System32 directory and merge "Add SuperHidden.reg".

Uninstall: Remove SuperHidden.exe from your System32 directory and merge "Remove SuperHidden.reg".

SuperHidden.zip

Will this work on Windows XP? If not, do you know a way of acomplishing this on XP? Thanks.

Well, my first post wasnt worded properly. After I posted that I tried "winword" in the searchbox, and it returns the word entry also, so I'm guessing that the start menu index also taps into other resources such as the run dialogue. However point still stands that they are different things which achieve similar functionality through different methods.

And yes, the start menu does work for run commands too.

The start menu performs a simple, fast "grep" style search over the start menu itself - then does an indexed search to show you documents, e-mail, etc.

However, it also functions just like the "run" box but NOT using the index or any searching.

Essentially, if the command typed into the start->search box can be ShellExecute()'d, it will be. Basically exactly the same as the Run box (except for the history as you mentioned).

I used Xteq Xsetup in Vista, but I only used it to set a couple of non-dangerous things. I wouldn't want to mess around to much in case some things have changed in the registry. I set the x-mouse functionality where the window focus is always under the mouse and a couple of other things with it.

Some great tips, thanks.

Can I ask, if I delete the hibernation file do I lose the Sleep ability? I had problems with recovering from Sleep in RC1 and I think it was because I had allowed Disk Cleanup to delete the Hibernation file.

No problems here (RC2) :)

Thank you! People on this forum and others are always recommending that others delete the IsShortcut key to remove the shortcut arrow. I always have to correct them, and tell them that there can be negative consequences, but no one ever listens.

Yup,.. some must learn it the hard way. :wacko:

Will this work on Windows XP? If not, do you know a way of acomplishing this on XP? Thanks.

You quoted the answer... :)

are there any programs like tweak-xp that work with rc2 x86 + x64?? tweakVI (by tweak-xp) only works on 32bit version :(

Not yet afaik. :/

NeoSmart Technologies' EasyBCD is a better bet than VistaBootPRO. It can do many more things, it doesn't crash, and works on every single build of Vista... much better.

Thanks,.. great tool, but it doesn't have more features + VistaBootPRO has never crashed on me.

I've updated the "Remove the arrow" tweak, on some systems the dll caused a slower Shut Down.

I've replaced the dll with the icon and modified the reg file, see the ReadMe + post #1 for more info.

New: Keyboard shortcuts

Edited by Herby

Added: Add Search Providers to Internet Explorer 7

To add a provider to the Internet Explorer 7 Instant Search box, click on this link and select one of the Web Search or Topic Search provider's.

You can also add custom Search provider's in the "Create Your Own" section on the right.

You can switch the search provider or change the Search Defaults by clicking on the down arrow @ the Search box.

The search provider's are saved in the registry, I've exported some of my favorites, just merge them + restart Internet Explorer and they are added to the list.

The zip file (Post #1) contains the following SearchScopes:

? AeroXperience Forums

? deviantART - All, Digital Art, Icons, Photography, Skins & Themes + Wallpapers (find that lost wallpa:)r :))

? Dogpile Web Search

? Event ID (Enter an Event ID number to get the description)

? Google & Google Image Search

? IMDb Search (Movie Database)

? Ixquick Metasearch & Ixquick Picturesearch

? MetaCrawler

? MSDN Enhanced Search

? Oth.Net FTP Search

? SourceForge.net

? TechNet - Event ID (Enter an Event ID number to get the description)

? The Register

? Wikipedia

? YouTube

How to get yourself some 24h time :)

start > control panel > Regional and Language Options > Formats > Customize this Format > Time > Time Format > Capitalize the "h"

Your final Time Format should be: H:mm:ss or HH:mm:ss

The difference of the two is the first will display 8 ocklock as 8:00 and the second will display it as 08:00

Added 2 new clocks to the Vista Clock gadget:

post-20663-1162126622.png post-20663-1162126629.png

+ added "The definite guide to applying wallpapers in Vista".

^ Great addition, thanks Herby! Keep up the good work :yes:
There are some really good tips here, thanks. :)
Maybe this should be made sticky? Nice work!!
How to get yourself some 24h time :)

start > control panel > Regional and Language Options > Formats > Customize this Format > Time > Time Format > Capitalize the "h"

Your final Time Format should be: H:mm:ss or HH:mm:ss

The difference of the two is the first will display 8 ocklock as 8:00 and the second will display it as 08:00

Thanks, thanks, thanks & thanks,.. nice tip! :)

Added new clocks to the Vista Clock gadget.

post-20663-1162728430.png post-20663-1162728438.png

Added Command Line Parameters for Windows Media Center + 24h time tip by Slimy. :)

Umm.. Yes it does.

See http://neosmart.net/blog/archives/273

EasyBCD lets you boot into Linux, Mac OS X, and BSD - what more could you want?

OK,.. you convinced me, v1.5 is a great build!

I've edited the first post. :)

Great thread!

Anyway to get a show\hide file extension in the right-click menu??

Thanks, I'll get on it when I have some more free time. :)

Heres a couple of my own tweaks so far:

Put Control Panel in "Computer" like you've been able to do since windows 95.. they turned it off by default in XP and removed the option from folder options in vista.

To restore it, open notepad and save this as control panel.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{1d6c6c6d-680e-4f50-a7a9-78a0a94c2c86}]
@="Control Panel"
"InfoTip"="Control Panel"
"{305ca226-d286-468e-b848-2b2e8e697b74} 2"=dword:ffffffff
"SearchHelper"="Control Panel"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{1d6c6c6d-680e-4f50-a7a9-78a0a94c2c86}\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\Windows\\System32\\SHELL32.DLL,21"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{1d6c6c6d-680e-4f50-a7a9-78a0a94c2c86}\Shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{1d6c6c6d-680e-4f50-a7a9-78a0a94c2c86}\Shell\Open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{1d6c6c6d-680e-4f50-a7a9-78a0a94c2c86}\Shell\Open\Command]
@="C:\\Windows\\System32\\control.exe"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{1d6c6c6d-680e-4f50-a7a9-78a0a94c2c86}\ShellFolder]
"Attributes"=dword:00000100
"WantsFORPARSING"=""

once saved just double click it.

Pin the sidebar to the desktop so it's still visible if you press 'Show Desktop'

Download Pinner a program I made originally for XP but works on vista. Run it and check the box next to sidebar.

If there's enough demand I'll make a program for the sidebar, one that launches the sidebar and immediately pins it to the desktop.

If anyone knows how to do these things without resorting to these hacks please tell me :p