Vista - Tips, Tricks & Tweaks

I'm running Vista within VMWare, so no aero effects for me.... Is there a way to turn off the "hover" effect on desktop icons in the "Windows Vista Basic" theme?

Using Vista ultimate 64 (RTM) and can't get either

a. remove the name from the recycle bin

b. remove the arrow overlay from shortcuts

to work.

I have copied the blank.ico to the windows directory and applied the req ... nothing. Robooted (from power down) and still nothing. Any ideas?

These tricks worked on Vista Ultimate 32 ... but seem not to work with the 64 bit.

New: Windows 2000 Style Shut Down Dialog Box

Is it safe to say that watching the first post here will include all tweaks?

Most of them,.. I'm at the post limit so I had to leave some out.

Awsome! That worked great! Thanks alot :)

You're welcome! :)

I've tried to copy the MSvcr71.dll file to the System32 directory but it won't let me overwrite the old version. How would I do this? (I've tried taking ownership of the file & also tried deleting the old version).

There's no need to overwrite the file if it exists (it's probably in use by another program).

+ I've updated the programs so they aren?t dependent on dll's.

Also is there any way I could map it to activate by using a different mouse button? (single click with a thumb button on the mouse).

No problem,.. which functions do you want on the other buttons/combinations?

thread pinned[/i]i>

Thanks for the pin!:happy:y:

I was like, wtf,.. where did my thread go?!:laugh:h:

I'm running Vista within VMWare, so no aero effects for me.... Is there a way to turn off the "hover" effect on desktop icons in the "Windows Vista Basic" theme?

I'll ?? into :). :)

Using Vista ultimate 64 (RTM) and can't get either

a. remove the name from the recycle bin

b. remove the arrow overlay from shortcuts

to work.

I have copied the blank.ico to the windows directory and applied the req ... nothing. Robooted (from power down) and still nothing. Any ideas?

These tricks worked on Vista Ultimate 32 ... but seem not to work with the 64 bit.

Did you copy the IconX:\Windows whX is the drive where you installed Vista?

I've tested them on 32 & 64 bit,.. anyone else has these problems?

for those having a problem with removing the shortcut icon overlay, you may want to check out this article

http://vistarewired.com/2007/03/03/removin...-arrow-overlay/

FxVisor uses the same registry trick & my Icon -> FxVisor directory -> Empty.ico (=hidden)

I installed Vista Ultimate earlier this week and this thread has been a great deal of help. Thanks to everyone! Usually I know an OS inside out before installing it on my desktop but curiosity got the better of me. The MTSwitcher is one of my favorite tweaks. Using the mouse to cycle through 3D Flipped windows is fantastic for me.

There is a Yahoo widget for XP (don't remember the name of it) that allows you to cycle through shortcuts horizontally, vertically, and wheelly (is that a word? - it cycles in the shape of a circle/arc/wheel something like the options in WMC). I'm curious to find out if there is the ability to tweak Vista so that the shortcuts (in a sidebar fashion) can be cycled through and selected with a mouse instead of sitting static on the desktop. It sounds more like a gadget but I haven't seen anything yet.

Enjoy!

The MTSwitcher is one of my favorite tweaks. Using the mouse to cycle through 3D Flipped windows is fantastic for me.

I've updated MTSwitcher + renamed it to UltiMouse Task Controller. :)

It does'nt block the Right Click Drag anymore + I've added some new functions:

Double Click Middle Mouse Button -> Window Switcher (Flip3D)

Back Button + Scroll Up/Down -> Cycle through programs on the Taskbar*

Forward Button + Scroll Up/Down -> Maximize/Restore selected program/window

Forward Button + Middle Mouse Button -> Close selected program/window

Middle Mouse Button + Back Button -> Minimize selected program/window

Middle Mouse Button + Forward Button -> Restore last Minimized program/window

Back Button + Middle Mouse Button -> Task Manager

Double Click Back Button -> Minimize All

Double Click Forward Button -> UnMinimize All

* When you release the Right Mouse Button it activates the selected program.

More info & download @ Post #1

Did you copy the Icon to X:\Windows where X is the drive where you installed Vista?

I've tested them on 32 & 64 bit,.. anyone else has these problems?

FxVisor uses the same registry trick & my Icon -> FxVisor directory -> Empty.ico (=hidden)

Yes, I put your file in the c:\windows directory (which is where windows is located) and it didn't work ... BUT FxVisor did work ... Even though it does the same thing.

Yours worked fine with my Vista Ultimate (32bit) load ... but couldn't get it to work with 64 bit.

Make User Account Control (UAC) Stop Blacking Out the Screen in Windows Vista

Windows Vista Business/Ultimate Users:

To get to the configuration screen for this, type in security to the start menu search box. You should see the Local Security Policy as the top search item.

In the Local Security Policy window, browse down to Local Policies \ Security Options

Over in the right hand part of the window, scroll down near the bottom and find the item titled ?User Account Control: Switch to the secure desktop when prompting for elevation?

Double-click on the item, and change it to disabled and then click OK.

Note: This does make your system slightly less secure, so be warned.

Windows Vista Home Users:

For Windows Home users, you will need to open up regedit via the start menu search box. Browse down to this registry key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]

You should see a key called PromptOnSecureDesktop. Double-click this and change the value to 0

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...-windows-vista/

New: Customize / hide the Favorite Links list

@ Slimy: Thanks,.. added to first post. :)

Yes, I put your file in the c:\windows directory (which is where windows is located) and it didn't work ... BUT FxVisor did work ... Even though it does the same thing.

Yours worked fine with my Vista Ultimate (32bit) load ... but couldn't get it to work with 64 bit.

Hmmm,.. probably has something to do with the environment variable,.. I'll ?? into it.

This is a good link for IE7 keyboard shortcuts: http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/attachment/715071.ashx

This will allow you to run WMP11 64bit as the default :)

For what it's worth, you can switch to use 64bit WMP as default on Vista x64 by running:

unregmp2.exe /SwapTo:64

and switch back to using the x86 as default using:

unregmp2.exe /SwapTo:32

There's other ways to do that, but that's probably the simplest way I'm aware of.

Edited by Slimy

Hey... do you know how I can edit the Shell32.dll in Windows XP to put a string so that it shows the "transfer speed" when copying or moving any file just like it does in Vista?

Hey... do you know how I can edit the Shell32.dll in Windows XP to put a string so that it shows the "transfer speed" when copying or moving any file just like it does in Vista?

I highly doubt that a string can do that and it wouldnt make any sense in Shell32... XP's kernel is not made for that?? I guess

New: Enable Advanced Disk Performance

Repartition a hard disk by using the Shrink feature

Enable or disable Secure Logon (Ctrl+Alt+Delete)

Re-added: Guided Help :)

Added: SpeedyVista - Service Guide

This is a good link for IE7 keyboard shortcuts: http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/attachment/715071.ashx

This will allow you to run WMP11 64bit as the default :)

Thanks! :)

Added both to the first post.

It's not possible, as far as I know.

Added:

? Turn Windows Features on or off

? Use BitLocker Drive Encryption without TPM chip

? Remove the arrow (Shortcut Overlay) -> 64-bit fix

Great thread!

Anyway to get a show\hide file extension in the right-click menu??

Added: Show/Hide File Extensions Context Menu Item. :)

Sorry for the delay,.. I've lost my 2do list. :/

Why is it not the default natively? Is there some drawback compared to the 32bit version?

Added more info and methods -> Post #1

Is there anyway to edit what appears on this bar in explorer (I have no idea what its called)

post-153261-1175248868_thumb.jpg

Such as removing the burn or help icon? I also notice the icons on it can be messed up sometimes.

Hey all,

Thanks for for fantastic thread! :D

I'm having one small problem which is using the minimalistic theme for the sidebar:

minimalisticsidebarcr6.jpg

Is it normally for the vertical line to appear next to the arrow pointing towards the left?

I'm just wondering as the line does not appear in the example pictures on the first page of this thread :unsure:

Added: Show/Hide File Extensions Context Menu Item. :)

Sorry for the delay,.. I've lost my 2do list. :/

I've just tried both Show/Hide File and File extensions context menu items however both of them aren't working for me even though I've put both executables in the System32 folder. I checked the registry to see if the modification has been added and they have been accordingly to the .reg file which adds the entries. I've also tried holding down shift and right clicking in various folders, unfortunately both of these context menus aren't appearing at all. Restarting didn't make a difference as well :(

Can anybody please what am I doing wrong here? :blush:

Edited by Cybertronic

Is there anyway to edit what appears on this bar in explorer (I have no idea what its called)

Such as removing the burn or help icon? I also notice the icons on it can be messed up sometimes.

I'll look into it.

Hey all,

Thanks for for fantastic thread! :D

I'm having one small problem which is using the minimalistic theme for the sidebar:

minimalisticsidebarcr6.jpg

Is it normally for the vertical line to appear next to the arrow pointing towards the left?

I'm just wondering as the line does not appear in the example pictures on the first page of this thread :unsure:

I've replied in the forum and Stanimir Stoyanov (the developer of Windows Sidebar Styler) replied that he adds it to the next version.

Meanwhile, you can patch it -> Sidebar Patch

I've just tried both Show/Hide File and File extensions context menu items however both of them aren't working for me even though I've put both executables in the System32 folder. I checked the registry to see if the modification has been added and they have been accordingly to the .reg file which adds the entries. I've also tried holding down shift and right clicking in various folders, unfortunately both of these context menus aren't appearing at all. Restarting didn't make a difference as well :(

Can anybody please what am I doing wrong here? :blush:

Try Shift + Right Click on a folder, not in a folder. :)

post-20663-1175288904.png

Thanks for your help, Herby :D

Would it be possible to modify the context menu tweak for it to appear when you shift + right click in a folder? I actually used the registry tweaks that allowed this although it appears when your right click only but now since using the shift button, it makes the context menu's less cluttered :D

Can you not edit posts on these forums after a few minutes? :huh:

To clarify my previous post, would it be possible to modify the context menu tweak to appear in the same way as the "Hidden Open Command Window Here Context Menu item" by pressing shift + right click in a folder? :blush:

Added:

? Windows Vista Service Configurations by Black Viper

? Select multiple files or folders without using the keyboard (add check boxes to file viewUpdated:

? Show/Hide System Files Context Menu Item*

? Show/Hide File Extensions Context Menu Item*

* Added the command to the Context Menu from the folder background

Can you not edit posts on these forums after a few m:huh:s? :huh:

The edit time limit is 45 minutes.

To clarify my previous post, would it be possible to modify the context menu tweak to appear in the same way as the "Hidden Open Command Window Here Context Menu item" by pressing shift + right click in a :blush: :blush:

I've updated the Context Menu Items -> added the commands to the Context Menu from the folder background.

Edited by Herby