Vista - Tips, Tricks & Tweaks

There is no "Save Target As" option when I right click on the recycle bin.

Not on the Recycle Bin,.. I ment on the download link. :D

Which file saves as a blank document?!?

Not on the Recycle Bin,.. I ment on the download link. :D

Which file saves as a blank document?!?

When I right click on "RecycleBin.zip" I get the following options:

Open link in a new window

Open link in new tab

Bookmark this Link

Save Link

Send Link

Copy Link Locations

Properties

When I click on Save Link" it saves a blank white icon to my desktop and when I click on it I get the following message"

Windows cannot open the file "index.php" (why that is what the link says I don't know"

To open the file Windows needs to know what program you want to open it with.

When I right clicked on the recyclebin.zip file when I used Vista Businees it opened without a problem. Now I'm using Vista Ultimate, I don't know if that has anything to dowith it though, it shouldn't.

Thanks for your help by the way!

When I right click on "RecycleBin.zip" I get the following options:

Open link in a new window

Open link in new tab

Bookmark this Link

Save Link

Send Link

Copy Link Locations

Properties

When I click on Save Link" it saves a blank white icon to my desktop and when I click on it I get the following message"

Windows cannot open the file "index.php" (why that is what the link says I don't know"

To open the file Windows needs to know what program you want to open it with.

When I right clicked on the recyclebin.zip file when I used Vista Businees it opened without a problem. Now I'm using Vista Ultimate, I don't know if that has anything to dowith it though, it shouldn't.

Thanks for your help by the way!

Hmmm,.. what happens when you select Open Link in New Window or Open Link in New Tab?

Hmmm,.. what happens when you select Open Link in New Window or Open Link in New Tab?

Clicking on open link in a new tab did it! Strange that that's what fixed the problem,

Thank you!!

As the OS is booting press F8 as if you are entering the Safe Mode menu, go to Disable Driver Signing and for that session driver signing will be deactivated this will allow you to use ... unsigned drivers. For instance Windows XP drivers in Vista. Some drivers from Windows XP do work in Vista but they may cause instability so only use this tip if you really need it.

I'm having a problem with the RecycleBin.zip file which is supposed to allow an unnamed recycle bin. When I save the file it saves as a blank document, there's nothing there.

I didn't have the problem when I was using the Vsta beta, now that I'm using finished Vista Ultimate I can't get the file.

this is very simple, right click on the recycle bin then left click rename now press space bar now left click on the desk top. your done! :whistle:

I am having a problem with MinUnMinAll

I copied the .exe to the c:\ and put a shortcut into my quick launch but almost every time I have to click on it twice for it to work - not a quick double click but two single clicks.

Anyone else have this problem?

Edit: And once it finally shows the desktop, it takes about 3 clicks to open something in the task bar ie. FireFox

Edit 2: How can I restore the original Show Desktop shortcut? Because I deleted it after putting the shortcut to MinUnMinAll there.

Sometimes you need to press twice, because one of your windows is already minimalised. It first brings up all windows (first click), and then brings them down (second click)

Does someone have the same program, but then only with a minimalize functionality? So a Minall instead of a MinUnMinall?

Some people have had signing in issues with Windows Live Messenger...

Here is a fix :)

Hmmm, could that be the reason my router goes absolutely crazy when I use utorrent too? No UPnP, manual port forwarded, same problem with Azereus too, router drops the connection and resets like crazy, literally like once every two minutes. Only when bit torrenting, never does it any other time.

Hmmm, could that be the reason my router goes absolutely crazy when I use utorrent too? No UPnP, manual port forwarded, same problem with Azereus too, router drops the connection and resets like crazy, literally like once every two minutes. Only when bit torrenting, never does it any other time.

You could always give it a try, nothing to lose really.

Anyone having a problem with most recently used programs not being remembered? I unchecked the box, then rechecked it later and Vista still doesn't remember commonly used programs.

For some strange reason I have a new folder showing up in the control panel. Does anyone know how to reset the control panel to the default configuration or to remove the new folder? Thank you.

controlpanelrr0.th.jpg

Does anyone know how to hide a drive? I have a drive that I want to hide (like we used to be able to do using TweakUI).

Thanks!

Im using TweakVI Basic ( Free) to Do this

get it at www.totalidea.com

Getting all network devices and storage devices to show

If like me you have other devices on your network, such as another PC running Linux or Mac, or some remote storage you might find vista will not see them in the network or refuse to connect to them.

This happened with my mac, were vista saw the mac on the network but would not let me login to it.

So to get these devices working do the following:

Click on the Start Button and in the search bar key in secpol.msc and then hit enter.

When the Local Security Policy editor has loaded, expand Local Policies (on the left side) and select Security Options.

Scroll through the list (right side) and locate "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level." Right click on this setting and select Properties.

Change the setting to "Send LM & NTML - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated"

Hit OK and your NAS will work again.

Read Here