Vista - Tips, Tricks & Tweaks

Useful hotkeys to know:

CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER = run an executable with elevated privileges from the Start menu. For example, press the Winkey, type "cmd", press ctrl+shift+enter (then ALT+C or click Continue) to run an elevated command prompt. Note: Unfortunately (and for security reasons) this doesn't work for shortcuts, just executables.

WINKEY + 1 (through 9) = launches the corresponding shortcut on the Quicklaunch bar.

WINKEY + SPACE = bring all Gadgets to the foreground

WINKEY + G = Selects the next gadget (or last one, if your focus is in another app)

Also - Saved Searches (aka Search Folders or Virtual Folders) are very powerful. You can copy/paste or drag and drop a Saved Search anywhere on your machine just like a folder. You can also drill into it in the Open dialog. And if you're a developer, you can make your application aware of Search Folders. For example, a friend of mine wrote a Gadget that displays photos from a Search Folder. So any photos he tags a certain way show up in the sidebar gadget. This is very powerful for synchronization scenarios among other uses.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the thankyous and the stars! :happy:

Sweet, I love the vista orb clock

I've updated the Vista Orb Clock + added the Sidebar Patch (32-bit only).

Added some Tips & Tricks from Tim Sneath:

? Deleting the Undeletable

? The Coolest Command-Line Tool in Windows Vista

? Running a Command Prompt During Setup

I've updated the Vista Orb Clock (again): added new clocks + fixed the 'Clock name' colours and positions.

Someone should move this thread over to the Vista Support forum before it dies with this entire beta subforum.

Great thread. Does the minimalistic sidebar work for x64? I don't want to brick my install over something as mundane as the sidebar. And are there any apps to cycle wallpapers in Vista? (ie timed sequence/random photos from a set directory) Thanks.

Someone should move this thread over to the Vista Support forum before it dies with this entire beta subforum.

I've PM'd dreamz about it. :)

These tweaks are very handy , especailly the remove shortcut arrow and hibernate to shutdown button :) thanks herby!

You're welkome! :)

Great thread. Does the minimalistic sidebar work for x64? I don't want to brick my install over something as mundane as the sidebar. And are there any apps to cycle wallpapers in Vista? (ie timed sequence/random photos from a set directory) Thanks.

It only works for x32, you can try to edit it with XN Resource Editor, it should support x64 resources.

I've attached the png's.

I can't test it atm -> don't forget to create a backup!

Replace RCData -> 4000.png, 4001.png, 4002.png, 4004.png, 4005.png, 20027.png, 20030.png, 20031.png, 20032.png & 20033.png with blank.png, 20028.png with 20028.png & 20029.png with 20029.png.

SBx64png.zip

Does any1 no how to fix a disabled(grey out) "Folder and Search option" in Organise from explorer?

I dont no how it has been disabled. Thx

I have no clue but I'll look into it. :)

-> replaced the "Minimalistic Sidebar Patch" with Windows Sidebar Styler (Post #1).

In previous Windows versions you can enable/disable the Volume Icon in "Sounds and Audio Devices",

in Vista you can toggle it in the "Notification Area" tab in "Taskbar and Start Menu Properties":

Right click on the Taskbar and select Properties, click on the "Notification Area" tab, uncheck/check Volume and click on Apply.

If you want to access the Mixer and the other functions, you can use these shortcuts:

? Master Volume Left: SndVol.exe -f 0

? Master Volume Right: SndVol.exe -f 49825268

? Volume Mixer Left: SndVol.exe -r 0

? Volume Mixer Right: SndVol.exe -r 49490633

? Playback Devices: control.exe mmsys.cpl,,0

? Recording Devices: control.exe mmsys.cpl,,1

? Sounds: control.exe mmsys.cpl,,2

So, control.exe mmsys.cpl,,0 gets me here:

1.jpg

But i'd like a shortcut that brings me here:

(used to be the advanced tab in windows xp sndvol.exe, but

for mysterious microsoft and or creative reasons isn't the case with Vista)

2.jpg

Anyone?

My tip for you, try using the taskbar like this, it's bliss:

tip.jpg

greetings, lowlandsrouter

Edited by llr

Maybe Brandon or someone else at MS can answer this question for me.

I've just started my Tier II training for Vista Consumer Support and we were wondering if there is any plan for an ifilter to search inside .pdf files. We've parking lotted this question with our MS contacts, but they haven't got back to us yet.

Cheers

I haven't seen this TIP yet, thought I'd throw it out there.

By default Windows Vista Business does not install the GAMES (solitare, freecell, etc.)

To install,

1. Open Control Panel

2. Click on Programs

3. Choose "Turn Windows features on and off"

4. Wait for list to show, install away

Anyone know of a way to get the IE7 icon on the desktop without it being a shortcut?

I noticed if you switch the Start Menu to Classic, it adds it to the desktop, but takes it away as soon as you change it back :(

I'm having a problem with the RecycleBin.zip file which is supposed to allow an unnamed recycle bin. When I save the file it saves as a blank document, there's nothing there.

I didn't have the problem when I was using the Vsta beta, now that I'm using finished Vista Ultimate I can't get the file.

I'm having a problem with the RecycleBin.zip file which is supposed to allow an unnamed recycle bin. When I save the file it saves as a blank document, there's nothing there.

I didn't have the problem when I was using the Vsta beta, now that I'm using finished Vista Ultimate I can't get the file.

Just right click on the recycle bin and pick "rename" type in ALT + 0160 (don't put in a + key just hold ALT and then type in 0160)

Then you will have a recycle bin with no text, just blank.

Edited by quick

Just right click on the recycle bin and pick "rename" type in ALT + 0160 (don't put in a + key just hold ALT and then type in 0160)

Then you will have a recycle bin with no text, just blank.

Thanks but that's not working. I right click on the recycle bin, choose rename and the recycle bin name gets highlighted but when I hold down the ALT key and type on 0160 it doesn't type. It only types if I don't hit the ALT key and then it just reverts back to the name recycle bin.

Anyone know of a way to get the IE7 icon on the desktop without it being a shortcut?

I noticed if you switch the Start Menu to Classic, it adds it to the desktop, but takes it away as soon as you change it back :(

Add Internet Explorer to Vista's Desktop (FxDeskie 1.2) :)

Try right click -> Save Target As...

Good First Post :) Thanks

:happy: