OMG, I got a warning! Now what?

Quick question.

Now the site has been upgraded, what's happened to the warning levels?

See here

On the update, members can only see their own warning status bar on their profile. In posts they have been removed, the thinking behind this was to relieve possible stress certain members might have while posting, because their warn status is right there after each post they make. Staff will still be able to see every members warning status on every forum post that's made.

Are the warning counters active ?

I think its been more than 6 months since the last one of warnings, yet I am still @ 100% (most of which were absolute BS)

PM Sent

I was wondering:

Do null warnings reset the 6-month warning? If they do, just ignore my post :)

If not, I think auto reduction isn't really working for me... I don't like that little warning bar on my profile.

Greets,

Ambroos

• 6 months later...

Apologies if this has already been asked elsewhere - either in this thread, or somewhere else on the forums (I did try searching, couldn't find an answer), but I just tried to change my username / display name, and got the following error message:

[#1011] You do not have permission to change your display name.

Anyone have any ideas why? I've changed it once in the past, and wouldn't mind changing it back to what it used to be.

Apologies if this has already been asked elsewhere - either in this thread, or somewhere else on the forums (I did try searching, couldn't find an answer), but I just tried to change my username / display name, and got the following error message:

Anyone have any ideas why? I've changed it once in the past, and wouldn't mind changing it back to what it used to be.

You were kind of being maybe a little bit of a douche, so someone warned you. Like myself have been warned, feels weird saying that, like I was a fat little kid and sneaking sweets before dinner. And now nothing is as much fun as it used to be, because you can't do all the fun **** you used to, like change your forum display name or **** on that hooker you killed. Whatever the case may be, it's not the same, and won't be for around six months.

Not so much of a douche as disagreeing with an Admin (lets not go there) - and posting said conversation on the forum. I figured it might be something like that - Oh well, not to worry.

Cheers for the info :)

• 2 months later...

I keep forgetting about this, but I cannot seem to report spammers by pressing that report button on their profile.

As I understand it, this is because I have been warned twice.

I am not sure whether six months have passed since the first one, that is probably the case.

Now my main issue about the second one,

1. I have got an e-mail about it, saying that it was about trolling. Cool... 'right, ' get it.

2. The issue was that the link was not a functional one, i.e, something like neowin.net/forum/..._st_650

Plz do check links for validity.

I have a suggestion about this warning system, wouldn?t it be nice to see (just for the user who got the warning) for what reason they got the warning for. I mean I have few warnings but I have no freaking idea what I got the warning for in the first place, so it doesn't teach me as a neowin member about what not to do in future.

I know we get a message the reason I got warning for, but I don?t keep the message for six months. And if I get another warning in-between that's 12 month sentence

• 1 month later...

I have a suggestion about this warning system, wouldn’t it be nice to see (just for the user who got the warning) for what reason they got the warning for. I mean I have few warnings but I have no freaking idea what I got the warning for in the first place, so it doesn't teach me as a neowin member about what not to do in future.

I know we get a message the reason I got warning for, but I don’t keep the message for six months. And if I get another warning in-between that's 12 month sentence

That's not a bad idea except that, since staffers always assumed the notes would be private, then there is the possibility of something embarrassing coming to light. Especially if a member started off on a bad foot but has since reformed their ways. They may not want to hear of what we used to think about them. :D

While I'm sure that 99.9% is fine, I wouldn't want to be the one to skim through all that data to prevent embarrassments...

The best solution, for now, is to PM a Supervisor and ask them to PM you a summary of dates and a short summary. If you want a fully detailed copy of a warning PM then we should be able to find that for you as well.

Edit:

[PM Sent]

• 2 weeks later...

I'm confused as to where I can even see my warning level... :s I don't see it in my profile or in my posts... Can a mod please tell me at least an estimated time until I can change my display name?

I still wish I could change my username... My username is some old fake name I used to start fresh on Neowin after acting retarded several years ago on Neowin when I was like 12 years old lmfao. I'm 17 years old, I've changed, and I feel like these warnings are ridiculously long...

Like what is the point? I feel like I've gone to Neowin jail! I want to change at least my display name because as you can see in my sig, I have a new name to go along with my blog that I started a couple months ago. It's almost like a brand to me - my brand. I'm sick and tired of this display name, and until I get a new display name, I'm not going to switch any of my other Neowin info (avatar, personal picture, about me, etc). I'm not being picky, it just seems like something so simple that I should be able to do and it's like something impossible...

meh i heard the moderation used to be worse somehow.

all my posts except like 61 of them are from 2010. i won my sub from a contest.

i've adblock, stardock and apple are offlimits to have an opinion on here, but tbh, i've stated contrary/unpopular opinions on all 3 and not been warned.

i do notice that apple threads do seem to be more heavily moderated than non apple threads.

my issues with what happens here are pretty minor.

i haven't been warned for being reasonably critical of something, i haven't been warned for accidentally breaking the word filter(not sure if i've done this one), that's a whole lot better than some sites/networks.

if people are getting warned for calling other people trolls/fanboys or grammar naziing them or personal attacking them for their font or for recomending a certain product or w/e, i haven't seen it deter the people who do it the most often. and i have seen people leave neowin because of this kind of behaviour.

I feel like its pretty hard to get a warning if you just think before you post. You know, not say something you wouldn't say to your parents. :alien:

You are absolutely right. In all my time in neowin, i had 2 maybe 3 warnings.

I'm confused as to where I can even see my warning level... :s I don't see it in my profile or in my posts... Can a mod please tell me at least an estimated time until I can change my display name?

You used to be able to find your warning level by clicking on your username (which takes you to your profile). Your warning level would be seen under your member photo. However, since the upgrade I can't see mine anymore, although maybe that's because I don't have one. Maybe a Moderator could clarify this for us.

I still wish I could change my username... My username is some old fake name I used to start fresh on Neowin after acting retarded several years ago on Neowin when I was like 12 years old lmfao. I'm 17 years old, I've changed, and I feel like these warnings are ridiculously long...

If you go to the settings section (highlight your username that appears in the top right corner of the site - next to the search bar - and select "settings") you can find an option there that says "change display name." However unless I'm mistaken you can't change your display name if you have a warning level. I also believe that if you feel that your warning level hasn't decreased after the 6 month period you can PM a Moderator and they can look in to the matter.

Like what is the point? I feel like I've gone to Neowin jail! I want to change at least my display name because as you can see in my sig, I have a new name to go along with my blog that I started a couple months ago. It's almost like a brand to me - my brand. I'm sick and tired of this display name, and until I get a new display name, I'm not going to switch any of my other Neowin info (avatar, personal picture, about me, etc). I'm not being picky, it just seems like something so simple that I should be able to do and it's like something impossible...

It's more a slap on the wrist than jail time if you think about it. Sure, you don't get the privilege of being able to change your display name while you have a warning, but I think the reasoning for this is so that the Moderators can keep track of a repeat offender more easily. A display name gets associated with a poster in the same way that a person in real life gets associated with their name. Sure, in both cases there are still records of the person changing their name, but it potentially takes more work following the person's history if they are allowed to switch their name after every infraction. Well, that's the way I see it at least.

i've adblock, stardock and apple are offlimits to have an opinion on here, but tbh, i've stated contrary/unpopular opinions on all 3 and not been warned.

They're not off-limit, per se. Discussion on the subjects are allowed, but it has to be reasonable like with any subject.

i haven't been warned for being reasonably critical of something...

Exactly. Reasonable criticism is perfectly fine.

They're not off-limit, per se. Discussion on the subjects are allowed, but it has to be reasonable like with any subject.

Exactly. Reasonable criticism is perfectly fine.

load of cr@p, i make a note about how when i had adblock running (on this site), the mini-spy was working next thing you know i was banned for 14 days! PLEASE EXPLAIN THAT ONE!

load of cr@p, i make a note about how when i had adblock running (on this site), the mini-spy was working next thing you know i was banned for 14 days! PLEASE EXPLAIN THAT ONE!

Sorry, I'll clarify.

To the best of my knowledge, you can discuss the use of ad-blocking software (it's pros, it's cons etc.). However, pointing out that you're using Ad-blocking software to block the ads on Neowin is obviously bad form.

Sorry, I'll clarify.

To the best of my knowledge, you can discuss the use of ad-blocking software (it's pros, it's cons etc.). However, pointing out that you're using Ad-blocking software to block the ads on Neowin is obviously bad form.

lol

If I see something anything remotely questionable then I'll look in their warning history. If we have previously warned somebody not to do "behavior X" and then go and do it again then I have little sympathy for them. I've they have done it repeatedly in the past then I have no sympathy for them. Warnings are learning opportunities. If members choose not to adapt then they'll eventually need to find another forum.

• 3 months later...

if people are getting warned for calling other people trolls/fanboys or grammar naziing them or personal attacking them for their font or for recomending a certain product or w/e, i haven't seen it deter the people who do it the most often. and i have seen people leave neowin because of this kind of behaviour.

This seems to be a big problem lately. Post any opinion that disagrees with another, and the trolling name calling comes out. I think it should be seen as a personal attack and warned as so. If you think someone is out of line, report them for it and let the admins handle it. But lately, the word troll has been tossed around a lot.

Opinions will differ, but that is what keeps conversations alive and, when reasonably discussed, gives a good side to both views. But when some start to throw around the word troll because they feel the persons opinion is invalid and can not come up with anything nice to say, something needs to happen to stop it, or threads just get derailed.

This seems to be a big problem lately. Post any opinion that disagrees with another, and the trolling name calling comes out. I think it should be seen as a personal attack and warned as so. If you think someone is out of line, report them for it and let the admins handle it. But lately, the word troll has been tossed around a lot.

Opinions will differ, but that is what keeps conversations alive and, when reasonably discussed, gives a good side to both views. But when some start to throw around the word troll because they feel the persons opinion is invalid and can not come up with anything nice to say, something needs to happen to stop it, or threads just get derailed.

I thought calling people a "fanboy" was against rules. I got warnings for doing so years ago but I see people do it all the time. Their posts are not removed and nothing is done about it. One of my biggest gripes with Neowin is the inconsistency with warnings and how certain things are handled.