Vista RC2 Problems --- Post Your's Here

Only had a few problems with previous builds but this thing is just BUGGY to heck!!!

No Drivers at all it seems like now! No Aero, bad system performance and currently up to 33 problems that there are no solutions for..! WTF!!!!!!!!!!! :no:

If this is what to exspect then this thing needs to go back to the drawing board, and I say that as a complete Vista fanboy!

But how can this be? 5744 is marked as RC2 right? RC2 should be better that RC1 right? Then why are people talking of going back to RC1?

Junk

i love my XP install customised drivers, programs et al just 192 mb footprint!

vista is a very frustrating child, no matter how lovingly you adopt it, it behaves poorly compared to older brother XP and no amount of spanking brings any results.

my adoption of the kid called vista stands repudiated now!

Junk

i love my XP install customised drivers, programs et al just 192 mb footprint!

vista is a very frustrating child, no matter how lovingly you adopt it, it behaves poorly compared to older brother XP and no amount of spanking brings any results.

my adoption of the kid called vista stands repudiated now!

Running both on same computer with just 512 MB of RAM. Vista is more flexible with memory - after hours of work (mostly Office, IE, Matlab and similar) Vista would jump from 450 MB to just 260 or so...

XP will never going back so low.

I would say: good work on memory handling. But a lot of problems with drivers :(

Guys don't look at the amount of memory being used by Vista! The OS does a lot of prefetching to make the OS faster. Who cares if it uses 80% of your memory, memory isn't there to NOT use it. When applications need more memory the OS will release more.

RC2 is working quite good here. Had some issues with an old soundcard though, a need a new (DX9) videocard for the Aero looks, but for the moment basic will do.

i installed the 64bit version here. Audigy drivers don't work and solitaire wno't run and tell me there's no graphics despite the fact i have a 7800gt and the correct driver installed.

How is iTunes 7.0.1 on this release? How do I get Aero back? :no:

Why use that bloatware, when you get a free, purdy WMP 11 with Vista? Seriously, WMP can handle large libraries, iTunes 6/7 NOT!.

hwo about in the final stage fo the installation it just goes black on my screen and i got a multi coloured line going accross and after loads of hard drive activity it just restarts and goes back to the same problem, never had this in any build, how on earth is Vista meant to go RTM in this state

Did you do a Clean install, or an upgrade from a previous build or from XP?

It looks like there might be a problem with video drivers loading at boot-time, or some driver that appears to be corrupted - especially if you're seeing that multi-colored line

At Boot, see if you can get to the bootloader section and try to force it to do a logged install. Then, you might be able to see where the boot-up is broken. I had a similar problem on earlier builds where I had also installed Alcohol 120 and then did an upgrade to a newer build - SPTD.SYS kept on causing my upgrade/install to fail.

--ScottKin

Working here (as usual). [Response to complaint of Ultramon install failing]

Agreed, it will install but "working" isn't a word I would use to describe it.

Having taken a look on here it is worrying to notice the constant slip of Vista compatible releases... :(

A bit of a shame really... and I for one have not been able to track down a replacement that comes close.

Imagine a Windows OS where you can stretch the taskbar over multiple monitors natively... Is it that freaking hard Microsoft?

Agreed, it will install but "working" isn't a word I would use to describe it.

I`m not complaining. The only problem is black text on SmartTaskbar but I can live with it (icons are visible). I`m using keyboard shortcuts to move windows between screens, so lack of additional buttons is no problem for me too.

it is worrying to notice the constant slip of Vista compatible releases...
Wait after the launch, till February 2007, then worry. For most software companies there is no Vista OS by now.

hey err... i heard there was a intellipoint/intellitype 6.1 beta on connect. Anyone mind maybe uploading it for me? =\ im having horrible experiences with my kb + mouse.. i cant beleive ms's own software wont even work on vista

Wait after the launch, till February 2007, then worry. For most software companies there is no Vista OS by now.

Im worrying now.

To say that most companies are not looking to develop a fully compatible version of their software until release is plain rubbish.

Maybe all will be well and Ultramon will come out in time, maybe it wont and I will have a brand new OS with a broken taskbar... Either way getting a beta out asap can only be good.

I can't get AERO ......i got it in all builds ...since beta 1 ...until 5728 ....in 5744 i don;t get it anymore ...

i have an GeForce FX 5200 ...my AERO score is 2.0 ....and Gaming performances 2.5 (i think i need 3 at least for the ugly aero to work )

Strange, Windows Vista Build 5728, all works fine for me with GeForce FX 5200. Graphics (Aero) at 3.0 and 2.6 for Gaming graphics. This RC2 drop all GeForce FX 5200 for Aero? :o :|

Wow, I was expecting RC-2 to be a lot better then RC-1. From what I can tell from all the posts it is better in most cases, but it also worse in other cases :wacko: considering I got problems in RC-1 I think I better not download RC-2 as it will probably make them worse...are MS serious about it going RTM soon?? I hope they fix most of the problems Vista seems to be having otherwise Vista gonna have a short life..cause I dunno how many people will buy it how it is waiting for MS to release patches to make it work properly? :unsure: I'm definitely waiting till I get a new computer to get Vista, hopefully by then Vista will be a lot better and should have better driver support by then.

I agree it is all about the drivers now and allot of manufacturers won't be developing any until RTM or public release in Jan, and then patches and critical updates until the end of time.

Just a note to all in this thread:

Clearly, 90% of the problems listed here are due to hardware drivers that don't seem to be working properly or failing to install. Most hardware manufacturers are actually hard at work, trying to get their drivers stabilized against the new driver model for Vista; hence, when upgrading to a new build, there may be differences in the drivers you have been using and what the current or new Beta-drop requires.

If you are experiencing problems along the lines of driver install problems or problems with existing devices after an install, here is a fairly successful path to follow:

1) In Device Manager, uninstall all of the devices that you are having trouble with. If Windows asks you to reboot, select "No" and continue to uninstall any devices that have driver problems.

2) When you're done with Step 1, Shut-down (DO NOT RESTART). When Shutdown is complete, disconnect (if possible) the device or devices that you are having problems with. Restart without those devices connected - this ensures that the hive (I mean, Registry) is in a somewhat-cleaner state. If there aren't any other issues with hardware, do a Restart.

3a) If you do have Vista Drivers for your devices, once you've restarted and booted back into Vista you can start installing those drivers: my suggestion is to do it one device at a time. Follow the "Finish" directions from the driver installer: If you are asked to reboot, don't ignore it and do the reboot. The reason for this is, that if you just plugged-in or connected the device in question without the system migrating the new drivers into their proper places, you might end-up with a combination of Vista's base-level drivers and the optimized drivers from the hardware vendor

3b) If you don't have drivers for your devices (and I know this is going to sound stupid), PLEASE check with your hardware manufacturer's website. If there aren't any at this time, please remember (and this might sound rude or harsh) that this is STILL a Beta OS. Hardware manufacturers that value their customers WILL have drivers available at PUBLIC / CONSUMER Launch; The reason that I say PUBLIC / CONSUMER is that many of the devices that those of us who are not business customers use will not likely be used, active or installed in business-class systems, so they will have very little trouble getting their systems migrated to Vista. Consumer versions of Vista won't be available for purchase until late January / early February 2007.

4) After EACH new device re-installation, reboot your system - even if the re-installation doesn't ask for it.

5) If you do have drivers that worked in a previous build, there is no guarantee that they'll work in the next build. If they do work, pat yourself on the back and congratulate yourself for being lucky. This IS happenining less frequently as we approach RTM, but there will always be problems - and those problems will virtually go away as more drivers become available.

Hope this helps!

--ScottKin

How come when I press Ctrl/Alt/Del I get a screen with buttons like Lock this computer and Switch user? Is there a way to change it so Task Manager shows up when pressing Ctrl/Alt/Del?

Push CTRL-Shift-Esc at the same time. that will do the same thing to get the task manager too.

I have load clean installs for for beta 2 RC 1 and 5728 (best One) and now 5744 on 2 computers - RC 2 5744 now with both computers will not shut down and when installing they hung up 2 times each, What in the world is MS thinking as this is the worse build of all. By the why the locks when in sleep mode too. I never had any of these problems with the earlier builds.

Vista maybe ready in 2008

To say that most companies are not looking to develop a fully compatible version of their software until release is plain rubbish.

They will develop and will release. AFTER the launch of OS.

Beta, RC, RTM... it means nothing to them. There is NO system for them by now. I`m not saying it is especially good attitude but it is a fact. So wait 3 months and don`t worry now. :)

Did you do a Clean install, or an upgrade from a previous build or from XP?

It looks like there might be a problem with video drivers loading at boot-time, or some driver that appears to be corrupted - especially if you're seeing that multi-colored line

At Boot, see if you can get to the bootloader section and try to force it to do a logged install. Then, you might be able to see where the boot-up is broken. I had a similar problem on earlier builds where I had also installed Alcohol 120 and then did an upgrade to a newer build - SPTD.SYS kept on causing my upgrade/install to fail.

--ScottKin

how do i force a log?

so far i have tried multiple things, isntalling VISTA RC1 and upgrading twice, i have tried 4 clean installs, and all of them have same problem,

i get to the last restart at this stage with it completing the installation

dsc00306eg8.jpg

and then after the restart where i would usually stick in my username and stuff i get this

dsc00305ob9.jpg

any help greatly appreciated