NHL Hockey Thread

Hey, NHL season started where is the thread for it?

So how about the defending champs losing 4-0 to the Devils last night. I thought it was going to be a damn good game, turns out I was wrong. Carolina played horrible and Devils just kicked there ass in every possible way.

Panthers absolutly destroyed Bruins last night, which I wasn't expecting. 8-3. Ouch bad way to start a season.

Cancuks beat the Blue jackets 3-2 and was a the beast game I watched out of these three listed. Good hockey.

But the best game I saw last night was Kings Vs. Ducks. This game was fast paced, good plays, rough and I just loved watching it. Defiently one of the better games and looks like the Ducks are a pretty decent team this year. Ducks won 4-3.

I laughed when DiPietro gave in 6 goals over 2 periods (9.00 GAA) in his first game after signing a 15 year contract.

Then I cried when I remembered I had him in my pool.

It was a internal cry though. Very suitable for a manly man.

Hey Fred, how about the Habs/Leafs game? I'll give it to ya, we had no business winning that game at all. I think the solution to the Raycroft riddle is to shoot up high.

Leafs look pretty good though. Good speed, good passing and boy can that Peca shut down a teams top line. After Higgins-Koivu-Ryder (our top line) scored a total of 4G 4A in the season opener against Buffalo, Peca made it incredibly difficult for our top line to go to work again.

Went to the Thrashers game last night for the 6-0 routing of the Panthers. Good game. I was also at the season opener against TB, I was ****ed that we lost in the shootout. Kovalchuk can't get a goal in a shootout to save his life. However, if it is regular game play and he gets a one-on-one, he never misses. I don't get it.

We are now 1-0-1.

What was it the Flyers vs. Rangers game that went to like 13th round of shootouts? It was crazy, i kept expecting them to score but by the 6th round, I was like someone go 5-hole and where did the goal go through? 5-0. I knew it. hehe

Blue Jackets are going to the playoffs this year.

I like the Blue Jackets. They're what good drafting can do to teams. They have a good young team. I wouldnt be surprised if they made it to the playoffs.

What was it the Flyers vs. Rangers game that went to like 13th round of shootouts? It was crazy, i kept expecting them to score but by the 6th round, I was like someone go 5-hole and where did the goal go through? 5-0. I knew it. hehe

Yup. If im not mistaken, there was only 1 goal scored in the 13th round (27 shooters) and I think the only goal scored was the last one, which was the winner.

Rangers/Capitals hold the record for 15 rounds. Thats when Malik did the thing between his legs.

Im glad the Avs managed to finally win a game after losing their first two in over time. Im also glad that Svatos and Wolski have started picking up a few points so early in the season, we really need to offence now that Tanguay went to Calgary.

Hey Fred, how about the Habs/Leafs game? I'll give it to ya, we had no business winning that game at all. I think the solution to the Raycroft riddle is to shoot up high.

Leafs look pretty good though. Good speed, good passing and boy can that Peca shut down a teams top line. After Higgins-Koivu-Ryder (our top line) scored a total of 4G 4A in the season opener against Buffalo, Peca made it incredibly difficult for our top line to go to work again.

If the Leafs don't suck this year it will be because Raycroft returns to his Calder year form.

I noted that Schafer (SJ) cleared waivers. I guess the Leafs won't be moving Tellqvist then as there doesn't seem to be a market for backup goaltenders right now.

The problem is they don't even want to clear him because they would like Pogge to get the majority of starts in the AHL. Meanwhile, he's taking a roster spot.

Oh well, there's always the ECHL. :p

The Avs have always had great drafts. Svatos was standing out during the playoffs a couple years back. I can remember a few games he came off the bench for some wicked slapshot goals right into the upper right corners. Wolski has always been pretty impressive in the minors, so I'm glad he's finally getting a chance to prove his NHL skills.

I've come to the conclusion that Yahoo doesn't know crap about hockey.

They have John Pohl 2nd on Toronto's depth chart at centre:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/teams/tor/depthchart

He isn't particularly young, he isn't particularly good either. He was one of those players that were "on the bubble" during training camp.

Wade Belak isn't Toronto's #4 defenceman even with Kubina out. Tellqvist is not our backup. He's being shopped while J.S. Aubin will get the odd start.

Wow. Detroit 9 Phoenix 2, i would not like to be Coyotes fan right about now. Glad to see the islanders get their first win, too bad DiPietro wasn't in goal. :laugh:

A decade of Coyote ugly

Phoenix's 10 years of skating in the sands of futility

Oct. 13, 2006. 01:00 AM

DAMIEN COX

For this season, Phoenix Coyotes are wearing large patches on the right shoulders of their jerseys with the slogan "Decade in the Desert" to commemorate the passage of time since they made the move south from Winnipeg.

Well, the Coyotes might want to pick it up a bit, or it's not hard to see that slogan being mocked and twisted around a bit.

How about "Disaster in the Desert," or perhaps, "Doomed in the Desert?"

Halfway through a four-game road trip that will take them to Nashville this weekend and then on to St. Louis, Wayne Gretzky's crew is off to a wobbly 1-3 start, including losses this week of 5-1 in Columbus followed by a 9-2 disgrace in Detroit on Wednesday night.

Ten years after leaving the great fans of Winnipeg crying in their beer, the Coyotes have failed to accomplish anything of note playing out of Arizona, either before Gretzky arrived as a part of a new ownership group partway through the 2000-01 season or since.

The Desert Dogs have missed the playoffs four times out of the past five years and lost in the first round the other season.

Yet a scan of the roster put together by Gretzky, now the head coach, and his long-time associate Mike Barnett, the GM since August 2001, reveals a team virtually bereft of the kind of eye-catching young talent usually accumulated by a losing club.

They do have hopes for Everett Silvertips centre Peter Mueller, the club's top pick from last summer's draft. In the '05 draft lottery, the Coyotes had the misfortune of drawing the 17th selection

They had the fifth pick of the '04 draft and used it to selected Blake Wheeler, a tall forward then with the Green Bay Gamblers of the U.S. junior league. It was a reach and, while Wheeler might yet pan out and is playing for the University of Minnesota, players like Ladislav Smid, Rostislav Olesz, Andrej Meszaros and Travis Zajac were taken later in the first round and are already in the NHL.

In the rich '03 draft, meanwhile, the Coyotes didn't pick until 77th. Their top pick from '02, defenceman Jakub Koreis, is beginning his third year in the AHL.

The year before that, they took speedy Fredrik Sjostrom 11th and he has developed into a serviceable checker. The next two picks, however, were defenceman Dan Hamhuis and forward Ales Hemsky.

Getting blasted by the Red Wings two nights ago would have been at least slightly acceptable if it had occurred with a Penguin-like horde of promising youngsters in the lineup.

Instead, there was 39-year-old Jeremy Roenick and 34-year-old Owen Nolan, both looking ancient. Neither has scored this season. While Roenick is supposed to be playing a defensive role, he's a team-worst minus-five.

Goalie Curtis Joseph, also 39, had a dreadful night in Motown and was lifted after two periods. So far this season, Joseph's save percentage is a worrisome .855.

Only seven players remain from the team that started last season and only three players drafted by the Coyotes n?e Jets over the past 11 years ? Sjostrom, Shane Doan and defenceman Keith Yandle ? played against the Wings.

Daniel Briere, along with Doan, was the best player the Coyotes drafted over that time, but Barnett dealt him to Buffalo at the 2003 trade deadline for Chris Gratton.

Without a cupboard of young talent, the Coyotes have tried to plug holes this season with nimble 31-year-old Swiss forward Patrick Fischer, 23-year-old former Anaheim prospect Joel Perrault and slow-footed enforcer Georges Laraque.

The Coyotes still have no true star, no prime gate attraction outside of the beleaguered man standing behind the bench.

Since finishing 11th overall in the 2001-02 season with a team built by former GM Bobby Smith and coached by Bob Francis, the Barnett-Gretzky Coyotes have finished 19th, 26th and 23rd. Even worse, the team seems to have no well-defined direction or promising future while skating in the ultra-competitive Pacific Division. Playing Anaheim and San Jose a combined 16 times this season is a daunting prospect.

At this rate and with Phoenix fans yet to fall in love with this team, they might not make another decade in the desert.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentSe...4&t=TS_Home

Leafs versus Rangers.

I'm watching it right now. As a Rangers fan, I hate it, but that was a beautiful goal from Ponikarovsky. Fred, you must be thrilled.

Not at the moment, we lost (although we still got a point from the experience).

Big news from Philly, Clarke resigns and Hitchcock has been fired. Assistant head coach John Stevens takes over as the new head coach and assistant GM Paul Holmgren takes over as GM.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2634817

Its almost like the Flyers are giving up on this season already and its been only 8 games.

Big news from Philly, Clarke resigns and Hitchcock has been fired. Assistant head coach John Stevens takes over as the new head coach and assistant GM Paul Holmgren takes over as GM.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2634817

Its almost like the Flyers are giving up on this season already and its been only 8 games.

The rumour was they would either both stay or both go. I guess they both go.

It's about time. I think it's kinda unfair to Hitchcock. Clarke gave him a slow team with no goaltending. Hitchock himself is a pretty good coach IMO. Clarke built his team as if it were the 70's again. Though they did put some competitive teams out there, Clarke didn't adjust for the new NHL and gave Hitchock the same big, slow team Philly has had. Clarke for some reason doesn't believe goaltending is useful either! The biggest mistake had to be the Lindros deal though... wow.

On a brighter note, Montreal lights up Jose The-Odor for 8 goals!