NHL Hockey Thread

It's such a shame hockey isn't as big in England as it is in North America. I would love to be able to learn how to play hockey and play a few games, but there is no where for me to learn. Oh well.

I played hockey with a guy from Vietnam that immigrated here when he was 19. He started to play the game after moving here. I think he was a better skater than me too.

Anyway, my point was that it is never too late. What about ball hockey?

foto2.jpg

Anyone catch the Vancouver game last night? Luongo is literally blowing my mind with his play since Christmas. He's making the most insane saves I've ever seen night after night. It's scary to think where Vancouver would be without him. Probably close to last in the West, but instead they are first in the division and 3rd seed in the west because of his stellar play. If he keeps this up, he's MVP of the league, no question. After years and years of terrible goaltending in Vancouver, it's so awesome to finally have a world class goalie like Luongo :D

Holy hell, the Montreal-Pittsburgh game last night was amazing. Even though the Habs lost it was a fantastic game. I hope they can keep up that intensity for sunday.

It was a good game.

The Habs had a good first half season, but they have to be concerned that Sheldon Souray is their leading goal scorer. :shifty:

I have tickets for the Leafs-Sens game tomorrow, and am going up to Ottawa this afternoon. The only drawback to eliminating a team from the playoffs four times in five years is that team gets very pumped up for every game they play the Leafs (in the regular season) -- and the Sens fans, wow, they really hate us. Too bad the feeling isn't mutual, but it makes for an amusing atmosphere at their arena. The last game I saw in Ottawa was before the lock-out; the Leafs were losing 5-1 and came back to win in the 3rd. I hope this one is as exciting as that game, and the Habs-Pens game last night, regardless of who wins.

Anyone else wanna make some predictions?

Based on the last two seasons, the Cup finalists are among the hottest teams in the 2nd half of the season or two teams that nobody expects to go all the way. Since the 2nd half has just began and I don't expect the Flyers or Blues to go to the finals I will pick them as my Cup finalists!

Brodeur is having an awesome year and I think he could carry just about any team to the finals right now. I like New Jersey's chances. As of Feb-2nd I'll say NJ will beat Anaheim in the finals.

Did anyone watch the Leafs-Sens game on TV? It seemed like we (Leaf fans) were a lot louder than the home team crowd, but I could be mistaken because maybe it was just the section I was in that did not have many vocal Sens fans. How did it sound on TV?

The first time I cheered for Toronto and they ****ed it up and gave Ottawa a point! I couldn't really tell though, I wasn't really paying attention to the fans.

Did anyone watch the Leafs-Sens game on TV? It seemed like we (Leaf fans) were a lot louder than the home team crowd, but I could be mistaken because maybe it was just the section I was in that did not have many vocal Sens fans. How did it sound on TV?

That's nothing, when Montreal plays in Ottawa, you can't even hear the Sens fans. Here's a video from a couple months back when the Habs beat Ottawa 6-3 in Ottawa...

btw, great 2 games against the Pens. Crosby is so talented, but I hate his guts. What a puke. All he does is dive, and whine. Totally classless player.

That's nothing, when Montreal plays in Ottawa, you can't even hear the Sens fans. Here's a video from a couple months back when the Habs beat Ottawa 6-3 in Ottawa...

btw, great 2 games against the Pens. Crosby is so talented, but I hate his guts. What a puke. All he does is dive, and whine. Totally classless player.

I am not trying to defend Crosby or anything but he still leads the NHL in points.

That's how it was before the game too, sans the french accents.

Crosby is an intense player. I don't see many hockey players that keep their on-ice dissatisfaction to themselves rather than "whine." The spotlight is always on him so it's more obvious. I'd probably "whine" too when I'm getting butt-ended with a hockey stick off the draw [Maxim Lapierre] and there is no penalty call. Off the ice he seems classy and quite level headed.

What are the on-ice actions of a classy hockey player anyway? Sheldon Souray jumping Colby Armstrong from behind and giving him the poor-mans Todd Bertuzzi because Armstrong pulverized Koivu with a perfectly clean hit? :p

I am not trying to defend Crosby or anything but he still leads the NHL in points.

Never said Crosby wasn't the best player in the league... I think he is.

That's how it was before the game too, sans the french accents.

Crosby is an intense player. I don't see many hockey players that keep their on-ice dissatisfaction to themselves rather than "whine." The spotlight is always on him so it's more obvious. I'd probably "whine" too when I'm getting butt-ended with a hockey stick off the draw [Maxim Lapierre] and there is no penalty call. Off the ice he seems classy and quite level headed.

What are the on-ice actions of a classy hockey player anyway? Sheldon Souray jumping Colby Armstrong from behind and giving him the poor-mans Todd Bertuzzi because Armstrong pulverized Koivu with a perfectly clean hit? :p

I was referring to Crosby's dive. He embellished the "butt end" and the incidental high stick. He got a high stick... complained about it on the ice and after the game. sh-- happens in the NHL. It's not a wuss sport, 'accidents' happen. Crosby knows better and should stop the holier than thou act. And it's not just this game. He's always got opening his mouth, complaining and whining to refs. Don't give me that intensity garbage, because if he was intense, he wouldnt have laid on the ice like a sac of bricks after the high stick. Nor would he have skated off like he needed crutches for getting clipped in the face. I don't remember his mentor Lemieux doing half the whining he did. Lemieux would score goals with 4 men on his back. His actions on the scoresheet spoke volumes about him as a player.

If you watched that game, and the previous one, you'd know that the Pens were getting away with murder. Habs were getting called for everything. Hell, we were 6 penalties to their 0 for the first 2 periods. And in the previous game on Thursday, Ruutu ran Markov from behind, head first into the boards and got off free. Markov simply got up and played the rest of the game. Surely you saw Crosby trip Lapierre right after the butt-end? No penalty there either. If Crosby REALLY got butt ended as his dive would suggest, i'd have a hard time believing he'd be back up and skating right away. He's passionate but goes about it the wrong way.

I also clearly remember Crosby and his dad threatening the QMJHL that they'd jump ship to Europe to finish off his junior career because the Gatineau team was all over Crosby and the Rimouski Oceanic in a particular game. The Q president at the time fell to his knees and begged that he stay. Hmmm...

As for Souray, all he was doing was protecting the team's captain and leader. It's common practice in the NHL. I'd only expect the same on every other team if their top player was taken a run at. If Souray can't protect his captain, there is something seriously wrong with the NHL which Bettman has progressively ruined over the ages. It's kind of an unwritten rule. But anytime a player hits the oppositions top player, he is open to any return punishment. If he can dish it out, he can surely take the abuse. Generally top players arent the ones that take the grunt of the abuse, they are seen as scorers and playmakers, not checkers and grinders, so it's only natural for your bigger guys to step in. Sure Souray didn't need to throw any punches, but Armstrong already had his gloves off and was ready. How many times has Parros got into a fight because someone took a run at Selanne or Kunitz? What about Barnaby standing up for Modano. Brashear and Ovechkin in Washington, Chara standing up for Heatley and Alfy in Ottawa? The list goes on... I know the hit was clean, but it could have been seen as charging from any other angle.

btw, Armstrong landed 2 good punches in on Souray and never got a single minute of penalty time, meanwhile Souray got 2 for instigator, 5 for fighting, 10 min misconduct and a game misconduct which resulted in a 7min PP for the Pens (absolutely unheard of). As far as I'm concerned, if you start a fight or not, and land a bear fisted punch, it's still considered a fight and Armstrong should have had 5mins for fighting as well. So if Crosby wants to complain about missed calls, I have a whole list of missed calls the Pens got away with scott free.

Edited by bayrider

Wow... the Canadiens place Samsonov on waivers. There are so many things wrong with this. If anyone cares, I'll tell you why. Right now I need to catch my breath.

Only in a salary cap NHL could that happen. I assume Samsonov gets paid a ton of cash and they assume no team would want to assume that salary. The Leafs should claim him. Seriously, we need a winger and since Peca is out for a while we have some salary cap room.

I can't beleive how poorly the Canadians have been performing. They have a bunch of great players who are more or less doing absolutely nothing. They can play amazing, and often do but they are not playing full games since January, just parts of them. And Huet is falling apart quickly. What the hell is going on?

I can't beleive how poorly the Canadians have been performing. They have a bunch of great players who are more or less doing absolutely nothing. They can play amazing, and often do but they are not playing full games since January, just parts of them. And Huet is falling apart quickly. What the hell is going on?

Habs were playing the first half of the season beyond their capacity. They were working too hard, but winning games. Now they're worn out. There's no confidence and our rookie coach is starting to show a lot of signs that he isn't capable of getting this group back on pace. There's just no confidence. anymore. If they're down by 1 goal, they fold. The goalies aren't confident that their work is going to help the team because the offense isn't producing, meanwhile the offense has no confidence in the goalies and the D. It's a vicious cycle. It's gotta end soon.

quit yer whining. try being a ducks fan. at the rate they're tanking, they'll prolly have a fight on their hands just make the playoffs. :x same ol' ducks...

Anyone catch the Vancouver game last night? Luongo is literally blowing my mind with his play since Christmas. He's making the most insane saves I've ever seen night after night. It's scary to think where Vancouver would be without him. Probably close to last in the West, but instead they are first in the division and 3rd seed in the west because of his stellar play. If he keeps this up, he's MVP of the league, no question. After years and years of terrible goaltending in Vancouver, it's so awesome to finally have a world class goalie like Luongo :D

Yeah man, that was a great game! Bobby Lu FTW!

quit yer whining. try being a ducks fan. at the rate they're tanking, they'll prolly have a fight on their hands just make the playoffs. :x same ol' ducks...

Don't worry about the Ducks. They're only now recovering from majour injuries to their best players (Pronger, Beauchemin, Giguere and Niedermayer). These guys are built for the playoffs. Don't put too much stock in their play right now.

Stars aquire Nagy for Tjarnqvist and 07 1st round pick

Interesting trade, i wonder how well Nagy will do in texas.

Usually good players do well after trades, so Nagy will probably do well for the rest of the year. He has great potential, as has been shown in previous seasons (not doing so well right now), and could do very well paired with some of the Stars' players.