NHL Hockey Thread

On a brighter note, Montreal lights up Jose The-Odor for 8 goals!

Yeah, thanks for reminding me. I just hope the avs stick with Budaj, he is the only goalie we got who can win us a game at the moment.

Budaj is going to be a good goalie in the future, and he has The-Odor's sucking going in his favour. He will see a lot more games. I think the 'Lanche got payback last night. They lit up the Kings pretty good.

The Leafs majorly out-shot the Habs and dominated play for most of the game but allowed them to come back and tie the game. We were lucky to get a shootout win.

Watching the Leafs play is in no way relaxing.

So after a month of hockey, what does every one make of the season so far? What has been the biggest surprise of the season? And the biggest disappointment?

Even though i am an Avs fan i have been secretly rooting for the Thrashers, i would love to see them make the playoffs for the first time which i believe they will.

Speaking of the Avs im glad they are doing ok without Rob Blake and Alex Tanguay (so much for him adding some offence to the flames :))

So after a month of hockey, what does every one make of the season so far? What has been the biggest surprise of the season? And the biggest disappointment?

Even though i am an Avs fan i have been secretly rooting for the Thrashers, i would love to see them make the playoffs for the first time which i believe they will.

Speaking of the Avs im glad they are doing ok without Rob Blake and Alex Tanguay (so much for him adding some offence to the flames :))

Ottawa and Detroit are less dominant than I expected (or maybe just what I am used to). Sure, Ottawa dominated the Leafs pretty well last week but...

Pittsburgh has to be my biggest surprise. I'm surprised they didn't sent Jordan Staal back to junior.

The biggest disappoint has to be the defending Stanley Cup champions. I know they couldn't resign everyone but hey..

No, actually the biggest surprise has to be Philadelphia. What happened to them?

And.. now that I'm thinking of it.. With all the front office changes why didn't the New York Wang-nuts get off to a much worse start than they did?

The Calgary HITMEN have more offensive punch than the Flames, and I live in Calgary.

Kolzig already got pulled. He allowed 3 goals on the first give shots.

Kolzig already got pulled. He allowed 3 goals on the first give shots.

Ha. Brent Johnson goes in net and shuts down the rest of the game.

Washington comes back to score four straight goals to beat Ottawa 4-3.

Go figure.

Raycroft was interviewed on the ice immediately after the win and the interviewer reminded him that this, his eight win, ties the total number of wins he had last year (a horrible season for him).

Raycroft replied: "Yeah, thanks for bringing that up." :D

Oh dear, the avs gave up 4 goals in the 2nd period and lost against LA 6-5. 3 guesses for who was in goal for most of the game.......Although i shouldn't be too hard on him, he has had a few good games recently.

Theo sucks man. I had to suffer with him in Montreal. For every amazing game he had, he countered it with 2 or 3 horrible ones. Theo can't handle pressure and is by far the most inconsistent goalie in the NHL.

Biggest surprise so far for me: Evgeni Malkin. I heard about how good he was, but I never thought he was THAT good. He reminds me of Lemieux with his big frame, stick handling and vision.

Can't say I'm surprised about much else. The Laffs are doing much better than I thought they would. I never thought Ottawa was going to go anywhere really. Alfredsson is the biggest joke in the NHL. The guy is a complete tool. But I never thought they'd be bottom 3 in the Eastern Conf.

Out west looks pretty much like I thought it would, except for Colombus doing worse than I though. The LA Kings are going to have an incredible team in a couple of years.

DENVER (AP) -The Colorado Avalanche traded forward George Parros to Anaheim on Monday in exchange for the Ducks' second-round pick in the 2007 NHL entry draft.

The deal includes an option for Anaheim to swap third-round choices with Colorado in 2007.

The Avs claimed Parros off waivers from the Los Angeles Kings on the eve of the season opener Oct. 3. He played in two games for Colorado after missing the first nine games with a bruised shoulder.

Colorado now has three second-round picks in next year's draft.

Source

ANAHEIM, Calif. ? The Anaheim Ducks announced today that the National Hockey League (NHL) club has acquired a third-round draft choice in either the 2007 or 2008 NHL Entry Draft from the Boston Bruins in exchange for left wing Stanislav Chistov. The club will also have the option of exchanging its fourth-round selection for the Bruins fourth-round selection in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.

Chistov, 23 (4/17/83), has appeared in one game this season with Anaheim, going scoreless. In addition, he has appeared in three games with the Portland Pirates, Anaheim?s primary development affiliate in the American Hockey League, earning 1-0=1 point.

The 5-10, 200-pound forward has played in 136 career NHL games, earning 14-34=48 points with 80 penalty minutes. A native of Chelyabinsk, Russia, Chistov played in the Russian Super League last year. He earned 11-21=32 points in 47 games with Metallurg Magnitogorsk.

He was drafted by Anaheim in the first round (5th overall) of the 2001 NHL Entry Draft.

Source

3 second round picks in next years draft for the avs? Sweet:) :)

You read my mind, Fred... Although the name Parros sounds familiar for some reason.

I remember hearing a lot about Chistov before he was drafted. Shame he didn't come through.

I'm glad Detroit's doing better with Hasek between the pipes, too.

• 2 weeks later...

that should be interesting. i remember when hitchcock coached in my hometown for the kalamazoo wings. we also had that female goalie :)

what was her name? meanot rheaome? something like that.

Gino Reda's Plus/Minus - Nov. 23

First, a plus to Buffalo Sabres forward Daniel Briere for bailing out the new guy.

Rookie Mike Ryan's NHL debut took a major dive last night when he fired the puck into his own net. But during the intermission, Briere promised Ryan they'd get it back for him and win the game. Briere then went out and scored the winner.

"He did deliver on his promise," said the 26-year-old Ryan. "I think I jumped about four feet off the ground on the bench when he scored.

http://www.tsn.ca/tsn_talent/columnists/gino_reda/

What! The Capitals-Leafs game tonight isn't on TV!!! Grrr. Okay, it isn't on FREE tv. Bloody LeafsTV.

Edit: As I type this, Wellwood just scored to make it 1-0.

Edit2: Now it's 2-0. Peca just scored.

Maple Leafs' White charged

Canadian Press

11/24/2006 1:54:32 PM

TORONTO (CP) - Toronto Maple Leafs defenceman Ian White has been charged with driving while disqualified.

The 22-year-old rookie had his licence suspended for a year in September when he was convicted of impaired driving.

The Winnipeg native was stopped and charged Saturday with the latest infraction.

"He's recognized and readily admitted that he's made a mistake," Leafs GM John Ferguson said Friday. "He's committed to making sure of making better decisions going forward."

Calls to Toronto police were not immediately returned.

White had a goal and seven assists in 23 games this season heading into Friday night's match against the Washington Capitals.

He was selected by the Leafs in the sixth round (191st overall) of the 2002 NHL entry draft.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=185704&hubname=nhl