The OFFICIAL Longhorn (ALPHA) Thread

ok heres my experiences with installing Longhorn.

downloaded the file in 1hr @ 200 K/sec from Irc. (not saying where, so dont ask)

burnt the .iso to cd, went perfectly.

thought "u beaut!" and then proceeded to make a backup of the .iso to my harddrive using isobuster. this again worked no problems.

so yes, i thought to myself ok this is goin well, might install it now... so i bunged in the cd, and autorun started, so i clicked on "install longhorn". yay! it asked if i wanted to install a fresh copy, or upgrade, i wanted to keep my settings etc, so i clicked upgrade.... copied files from the cd.... then rebooted..

weee was goin excellent so far i thought!

rebooted, started the install program, then stopped.

"please insert your Windows XP Profressional CD then press Enter to continue"

WTF?

I put in the XP cd, pressed enter, it copied files... hm strange i thought.... stopped.

"file idwlog.blah missing, continue, retry, exit"

WTF?

ok ill click retry, maby the cd is hot... nup, same msg... hmmm clicked continue... more files copied from the cd.... stopped.

more files missing!

arrrghhh, pressed esc bout 402340924890 times to continue installing... doesnt help...

files are missing, ALOT OF FILES...

exited the setup

rebooted

no OS.

great... fresh reinstall of XP...

tried again using the setup from the hard disk

same deal..

guys, i suggest you DONT download this just yet... files are missing, and its a poopter trying to reinstall your configs from backups...

soo heres what i say in summery

its all good until you click "setup"

:angry:

Mate you did it wrong, check out when u use the setup options to make sure you set it to Copy all files across during installation, otherwise yes you WILL get that error :/

bug:

i get this error:

"an error occured copying file 31x5lc04.dll.mui to C:\$WIN_NT.~LS\I386\31x5lc04.dll.mui.

The file is missing, contact your system admin"

retry, skip file, exit setup."

me thinks i got a shonky copy of the file... it was from #betas...

so if your in queue to get it, DONT. its a poophouse copy it seems

ok heres my experiences with installing Longhorn.

downloaded the file in 1hr @ 200 K/sec from Irc. (not saying where, so dont ask)

burnt the .iso to cd, went perfectly.

thought "u beaut!" and then proceeded to make a backup of the .iso to my harddrive using isobuster. this again worked no problems.

so yes, i thought to myself ok this is goin well, might install it now... so i bunged in the cd, and autorun started, so i clicked on "install longhorn". yay! it asked if i wanted to install a fresh copy, or upgrade, i wanted to keep my settings etc, so i clicked upgrade.... copied files from the cd.... then rebooted..

weee was goin excellent so far i thought!

rebooted, started the install program, then stopped.

"please insert your Windows XP Profressional CD then press Enter to continue"

WTF?

I put in the XP cd, pressed enter, it copied files... hm strange i thought.... stopped.

"file idwlog.blah missing, continue, retry, exit"

WTF?

ok ill click retry, maby the cd is hot... nup, same msg... hmmm clicked continue... more files copied from the cd.... stopped.

more files missing!

arrrghhh, pressed esc bout 402340924890 times to continue installing... doesnt help...

files are missing, ALOT OF FILES...

exited the setup

rebooted

no OS.

great... fresh reinstall of XP...

tried again using the setup from the hard disk

same deal..

guys, i suggest you DONT download this just yet... files are missing, and its a poopter trying to reinstall your configs from backups...

soo heres what i say in summery

its all good until you click "setup"

:angry:

yes the blokes who made the nfo are idiots, you have to extract the cd to a folder on your hdd

and install it from their, do upgrade only :)

is that image from running the setup from your hard disk or cd?

im getting told different things here :|

no your not listening to me, you cant install from the CD, you have to extract the contents to a folder on your root hdd,

then run the install and do upgrade, it will install, 1/2 - 3/4s way into the install you might get a file error, just click cancel and it should be ok

no your not listening to me, you cant install from the CD, you have to extract the contents to a folder on your root hdd,

then run the install and do upgrade, it will install, 1/2 - 3/4s way into the install you might get a file error, just click cancel and it should be ok

Yes for an upgrade its not the best idea to run from CD but i can't understand why anyone would want to upgrade?

Surely you just make a new partition with partition magic or something and install longhorn with the CD as a "New Installation" using the options I have shown in the pic. That way you can truely tell if Longhorn is any good

That Longhorn alpha is just a Win.NET kernel with an modded UI, either it's an experimental UI or a WIP UI. There aren't any real new features, like an overhauled kernel, WinFS or GDI+ based on D3D DDI.

ok trying it with install files on c: (my current windows drive) as suggested, and upgrade...

if that dont work then ill try it as posted in the pic.

thanks all

still same error messages, files missing.

thanks anyway guys, but it seems like the file i have is corrupt or things were taken out on purpose.

File Information: [File Name: Microsoft.Longhorn.Build.3683.ISO ? File Size: 529.66MB ? 529 MB (555,393,024 bytes) ? Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC): AD89AB31]

Size on disk: 529 MB (555,425,792 bytes)

I had .net on drive c: and xp pro on drive d:

I extracted the iso to a folder d:/LH and ran the set up. I choose new installation, and then set it to go to temp /windows and prompt me for formating options.

It copied the setup files, and then rebooted. I then was able to format from the longhorn extracted iso, drive c: and installed to it.

The install went fine. A command prompt window pops up and does additional little things, no errors till the end. The error logged said all was installed OK, but a few files weren't signed by microsoft.

Then Longhorn did its new little set up, the only thing new is the music. After it was all set it detected both and did proper dual boot menu.

Longhorn works pretty well. Turning off WFS and not using the side bar keeps things smooth.

IE 6.5 will crash whenever you download a file from the web. You need to destroy as much of IE 6.5 as you can and make the reg adjustments so you can install IE6, or install another browser such as Phoenix.

Some of the new ideas in this build don't work, as they need some registry toying. One of which is the calendar view under pivot points in the explorer menu of any folder.

Setting your folders to a default list or icon view also helps keep speeds smooth. The side search bar in all the folders also only works when WFS is running.

Sygate firewalls will not run on Longhorn. Not sure about others, as I haven't tested any besides sygate.

There are a number of small enhancements that make it usable.

In some screen-shots you see a photos folder with a top heading with a picture of a girl.

The folder start-pages such as this are not complete, and microsoft has merely added mock up images. The icons under here such as "burn dvd" are not actual icons or functional, but rather just pics.

The my contacts folder in the start-menu is also in operable.

In all if you just want to see what possible new ideas might make it into Longhorn, give alpha build 3683 a try. If you have patience and spend time overhauling some parts and tweaking it, then it could be used daily.

But this alpha is more one for your OS collection. Some of the avalon components are neat code wise.

If your serious about OS's technology and design, get a hold of a copy and have a good long hard look trough it, as its obviously Microsoft's first step and yields some interesting ideas.

No doubt though Longhorn will change as the builds continue to update un-till it eventually hits gold.

i have the iso burnt and everything, and i'm going to use this buggy thing just like i used the buggy old xp, and upgrade through the leaks. as of now, i read the longhorn for noobs thing on xbetas, and says something about changing it to be a boot disk? is this not already bootable? i'm backin up my must have files and will reformat, and i'm expecting to do a clean install? any final warnings or bits of advice?

:no: yea its not worth the trouble, only do it if ur gonna format anyway cause i found it to be .... crap i know its a prealpha and all but ouch

i've been needing to reformat, less than a gig left. i think i'll try LH out, and if it ****es me off enough i'll format and install XP. will i have any trouble trying to format and installing XP over Longhorn? will it give me the same error i got when i put win 98 cd in with xp installed? saying i have a newer version of windows or whatever.

so by the reading posts here.. seems that everyone is going to go and install Longhorn.. well i'm donwloading it now... will install it on vmware or maybe use it as my full OS :p

im running lnoghorn rite now :woot: :woot:

its pretty good and pretty fast on my computer :) the only thing thats slow is file browsing and i know how to fix it but i dont want to disable it :no: