• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Which Vista Edition is Right for Me? (Basic/Premium/Business/Ultimate)

micwa    2

I've bought Ultimate. The Ultimate extras sound neat. The only two known extras are: Motion Desktop and Hold 'Em according to Paul Thurrott. :)

xDayan    3

gonna buy Ultimate.

SMH    0

I'm still unsure of which version of Vista to choose. Will either be Home Premium or Ultimate, found this website selling Vista at a reasonable price although I may opt to get it from uni, will have to check on prices when I return after Christmas break.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/search_resul...mp;string=vista

Koolslacker    0

Ultimate Edition.

NoneAvail    3

Home Premium. Atleast because one my friends brought a new computer that he is taking to Turkey so since it doesn't work over there, I took it. :)

Now I have 2 Home Premium Rebate offers. :)

+Fahim S.    1,088

I want IIS, so I have to buy Business or Ultimate? WTF is that about, I thought they were meant to be envouraging more people to develop :confused:

_sphinx_    0

I already ordered Premium

Darko_1    0

I'd probably go with Vista Ultimate since i use my computer extensively for work and play.

drunk_monk    0

Is there any disadvantages or restrictions to buying the OEM version than the standard version for Vista Ultimate. Why such the big price difference?

The Dark Knight    271
Is there any disadvantages or restrictions to buying the OEM version than the standard version for Vista Ultimate. Why such the big price difference?

an OEM licence lives and dies with the machine it is first installed on. ur only allowed touse it on the first machine u installed it on. if u upgrade that machine, u should buy a new licence, thats why it is so cheap.

Retail on the other hand allows unlimited activations, and u can upgrade as much as u like. though of course, u can only use it on one machine at a time.

thagame    0
the first page of this thread has 1337 access warnings, sorry but i just had to add this :blush:

what about it?

I think he meant WGA crap :)

Then i guess he should buy it and have no issues. lol

mikey    0

Just got Vista Business from MSDNAA so i guess i'll be using that unless i can get ultimate for freeeeeeee

Pingachevsky    0

Does Ultimate also have the features of Enterprise? You know, the MUI, VPC, SUA, and "Cornerstone"?

petroid    5
Does Ultimate also have the features of Enterprise? You know, the MUI, VPC, SUA, and "Cornerstone"?

Except for MUI, nope!

Orange    123

I'm thinking of upgrading to Vista and my pc i'm on now i brought in december 2006

It's only a Pentium 4, 3GHz HT with 1GB of memory and a 256MB Geforce 7600GT card

How ever i am buying another gig of memory for this pc. My pc has a little sticker saying Vista capable.

So will my pc be ok for it.

Slimy    14

Yes, your computer will run Vista fine. I've made some small updates to the first post.

dagamer34    2

My university is getting Ultimate, I just don't know when or for how much. And so the wait begins...

mattmatik    76

If I buy MCE2005 from Newegg and get the free upgrade voucher to Home Premium, what are the limitations? Is Home Premium going to be OEM or will it be the retail?

edit: Nevermind. Newegg only has XP Home or XP Professional retail that comes with the voucher. The problem is that you only get Vista Business Upgrade with either one. Hmmmm...I'll have to see what my university gets I guess.

Edited by soLoredd

red.    108
Just got Vista Business from MSDNAA so i guess i'll be using that unless i can get ultimate for freeeeeeee

My brother is doing the same and giving it to me. there's no ultimate at the moment. i'm not sure if i should install business only to find out that ultimate is available or wait to see if i can get ultimate.

i just want to make sure, i won't have to do a clean install will i? i can upgrade without the upgrade version?

bob3160    0

Vista Feature Comparison Chart:

VistaFeatureComparisonSmall.png

Click image to enlarge.

theyarecomingforyou    10,425
Retail on the other hand allows unlimited activations, and u can upgrade as much as u like. though of course, u can only use it on one machine at a time.

That's not true. You are limited to 10 unique activations (meaning when you change motherboard/hard-drive) and are only allowed to transfer a retail copy ONCE. So, basically, there is very little difference. Save yourself the money and go for OEM - if you upgrade your computer then just say that your computer was upgraded by the manufacturer (read: OEM) under warranty and then you'll be up and running again. If the retail version was completely unrestricted then I'd recommend it, but that is sadly not the case.

BoDEAN    68

Looks like most people are in the same boat, trying to decide between Windows Vista Home Premium and Windows Vista Business. About a 60 dollar difference in price. One turnoff with the Home basic is its compared to Windows Media Center (ew.) Never did like that OS>

Business says " dual processor (two sockets) support," I guess the Home basic doesn't take into account Dual Core processors?

Evilpig    0
915.gif

Sockie    0

I purchase Ultimate, I wanted all the goodies that Ultimate Extra's brings. More specifically Dreamscene.

PS. That's a silly cartoon. Can't run OS X on a PC.

sianlee    0

does anyone know what the ultimate extras are? and what they do?...... I REALLY want home premium... but im not into that buisness side of it. So hence ultimate is too expensive and i woudlnt use it. But, being the type of person that I am, i would buy it just for the label - stupid i know :p but its bragging rights.