Which Vista Edition is Right for Me? (Basic/Premium/Business/Ultimate)

does anyone know what the ultimate extras are? and what they do?...... I REALLY want home premium... but im not into that buisness side of it. So hence ultimate is too expensive and i woudlnt use it. But, being the type of person that I am, i would buy it just for the label - stupid i know :p but its bragging rights.

See the comparison in post #70.

Hi, I tried looking up how much it would cost to upgrade my current pc but I don't have that kind of cash now, or in the near future. So I want to ask if I could just stick another gig of ram in my current system if I would be ok to run Vista.

If you can't see my sig, I have a Northwood P4 2.8 with a gig of ram and a Nvidia 6800. But I still got to wait on drivers for my M-Audio card and try to figure out if my ATi TV Wonder will work with Vista.

What do you all think?

running vista ultimate on a test pc, xp sp2 on another, istalled all the extras on the xp pc, and now theres no difference between the two!! I did it for free and its stable, So whats the point of buying vista when you can make xp look and act just like it at no extra cost? By the way I know some of you will "find something different" but I can assure you there is no difference. Besides the test pc with xp is a heck of alot slower than what was purchased in order to run ultimate. The irony is that the vista pc takes longer to start! :p

Basically, yes.

As pulled from Windows Help and Support (Windows Anytime Upgrade FAQ):

All editions of Windows Vista are included on the Windows Vista disc. The software that you download after you purchase the upgrade includes a product key. This product key determines which edition of Windows Vista that you can install from the disc.

for those with little cash so what do you think download vista iso install home premium then go buy ultimate for 159 not 399...Windows Anytime Upgrade

Windows Anytime Upgrade allows a user who has purchased a specific edition of Windows Vista to upgrade to a more "advanced" edition. The user will use their Vista cd and a key that they purchase, either online or via telephone, to install the upgraded edition. The manufacturer’s suggested retail prices:

Home Basic to Home Premium = $79

Home Basic to Ultimate = $199

Home Premium to Ultimate = $159

Business to Ultimate = $139.

I am also thinking of buying home premium, then if Ultimate extras turn out to be useful may use anytime upgrade to get ultimate. The only thing is if I do reformat later, will I be able to install ultimate right away with the new key or do I have to install home premium and then install ultimate. Also I don't see where someone people are getting this 10 install limit. No where in the EULA does it say the number of times you can transfer the license to a new computer, therefore it should be unlimited.

I'm thinking of upgrading to Vista Home Premium, but one missing feature in it (that's available in Ultimate) is the Windows complete PC backup and restore. Does Home Premium at least have the system restore feature like there was in XP?

Thanks.

I'm thinking of upgrading to Vista Home Premium, but one missing feature in it (that's available in Ultimate) is the Windows complete PC backup and restore. Does Home Premium at least have the system restore feature like there was in XP?

Thanks.

It's available in all versions and turned on by default.

Here's an easy way to launch it from a command line:

http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/windows/2...mmand-in-vista/

is it true that you can only install 3 times for Vista?

completely false, you can activate it a MILLION times on the same hardware, because it remembers your serials for your hardware. On the Retail copy I think you are able to install it 3 times with new major hardware attached. Like HD, mobo etc. I am not 100 percent sure about that, please someone correct me if i am wrong.

As much as I have told myself (and this forum...multiple times) that I would wait for SP1 of Vista before upgrading, I am strongly considering Vista Home Premium just for Media Center and my xbox 360.

Does anyone know if transcode 360 is well supported in Vista yet? I see some people on the transcode 360 forums with issues...but then again, people only post when they are having issues and not when everything works great.

I don't see any compelling reasons to get Ultimate over Home Premium :/. Maybe if it were only $50 more for the upgrade, but $100 is pretty steep.

Edited by Shadrack

32-bit version only, up to 256 MB of physical memory

Vista won't even run with 256MB :laugh: ?It needs 512MB at the very least.

The limit forallb> 32bit versions is2GB>. You should add to all other versions that the Ram limitations?given ref onlyb> to the 64bit versions and that the 32bit versions aralwaysb> limited to 2GB, no matter what Vista you have.

Also, you should add the prices for the Oem versions.

The cartoon is nice, but Enterprise should not be listed as it's not for sale to end users, only for enterprises.

Vista won't even run with 256MB :laugh: It needs 512MB at the very least.

The limit for all 32bit versions is 2GB. You should add to all other versions that the Ram limitations given refer only to the 64bit versions and that the 32bit versions are always limited to 2GB, no matter what Vista you have.

Also, you should add the prices for the Oem versions.

The cartoon is nice, but Enterprise should not be listed as it's not for sale to end users, only for enterprises.

the 32 bit limit is 4 gbs, not 2

and the advisor is pretty good, it'll tell you what will or won't work properly in vista. As in verions, it doesn't matter, if it can do aero you can use whatever you want.

the 32 bit limit is 4 gbs, not 2

I don't know about windows, but on an x86 system, the RAM limitation should be 64GiB (or just 4Gib if you don't have PAE). The 4GiB limit applies to the largest possible virtual address space. The 2GiB (or 3GiB depending on configuration) limit applies to the maximum address space usable by a user process.