Mac OS X 'Leopard'-related Discussion

i like the new menubar aswell... i usually have wallpapers that are pretty clear in the upper part because i dont like my hard-drive icon to sit ontop of a face or whatever so its mostly like sky or something like that and for that and in my case i love it. =) looks great, imho.

sometimes it could be distracting though, i suppose.

The only time I really don't like the translucent menubar is with the Adobe apps. It doesn't look good when the white toolbar is sitting underneath it. Other then that, I love it.

In a few weeks the transparent bar will no longer annoy anyone. It'll be something else.

Me, I don't notice it as I'm too busy drooling at the rest of Leopard including the menubar.

In a few weeks the transparent bar will no longer annoy anyone. It'll be something else.

Me, I don't notice it as I'm too busy drooling at the rest of Leopard including the menubar.

+1

MenuBarIdiocy9.png

MenuBarIdiocy5.png

MenuBarIdiocy8.png

MenuBarIdiocy3.png

Just four examples of how bad the Menu Bar translucency can be for usability. Seriously, this is a bad idea.

oneMore.png

That's one more, just to make matters worse.

I can read most of those just fine. Next to that I don't understand why people insist on using desktop pictures that busy in the first place.

Anyway, I love the transparent Menu Bar. Looks absolutely gorgeous on my screen.

Also, if you don't like it you can turn it off through Terminal.

when du you really READ whats written there?

i for myself KNOW whats there, i dont know why, i just know it.

its not like "okay, i need to go to "file" and "save as" so lets see... the apple, the application name, humm... where is file? i cant seem to read it...". no, i, and i guess almost everybody else does it that way...

plus i dont see why you use that busy wallpapers in the first place but thats personal taste and someone said that before. :)?

Yeah, but can you read it with a quick glance? There's too much visual interference.

My thoughts exactly. Sure, the text is readable if you take a longer look at them, but that's not the point. The Core Image filter that the Menu Bar applies is far from perfect. It simply cannot find a happy medium for all sorts of desktop pictures. Sure, it looks excellent with flat, simple colors; but throw something more complex and it fails miserably. The new Menu Bar, because of the faux-translucency (as you can see from the one screenshot with icons, it's not actually translucent), takes a serious usability hit.

Also, if you don't like it you can turn it off through Terminal.

That's completely besides the point. One shouldn't have to resort to Terminal commands to make things right.

If I were to assume Apple's reasoning for this I'd say this would be Apple's way of "phasing out" the menu bar, or at least making it less important. When was the last time you opened iPhoto and resorted to the menu bar? Most of the commands are on the toolbars or contextual menus.

Obviously this falls short for any advanced work like Photoshop or professional editing, but this is clearly not targeted at them (us).

The way I see it: If the it is distracting in the menubar, then it is distracting altogether. If you have trouble reading text in the menubar then you should be having trouble reading text underneath your icons.

there has been a nice modification over at macthemes that makes this look that bit nicer... the plugins that is.

Linkage?

Has anyone woken their Mac up (Specifically a MacBook Pro) and had the mouse be real stuttery? (Like it's running at a lower FPS) only way to fix it is to reboot. logging out does nothing.

Has anyone woken their Mac up (Specifically a MacBook Pro) and had the mouse be real stuttery? (Like it's running at a lower FPS) only way to fix it is to reboot. logging out does nothing.

not just the mouse but my keyboard was dead, couldn't get it to work again.......I also had to reboot my computer :crazy:

~X

Yep, i have a mighty mouse and it lags so much if its been sleeping for a while. I just keep moving the mouse for about 20 seconds and it comes back to normal.