Gran Turismo HD

It's just CG vids. Nothing to get excited about. Notice how they have zero gameplay footage? I wonder why... :whistle:

Sony has been doing this for years, releasing fantastic looking CG footage and getting people all hyped up. But in reality the game looks nothing like it while you're playing. I don't believe people are still falling for this crap.

It's just CG vids. Nothing to get excited about. Notice how they have zero gameplay footage? I wonder why... :whistle:

Sony has been doing this for years, releasing fantastic looking CG footage and getting people all hyped up. But in reality the game looks nothing like it while you're playing. I don't believe people are still falling for this crap.

Well, there's only a few days time to see if you're right or not.

Im not a fan boy of any console. I own a 360 and will one day get a PS3 if the right games come out on it.

What I would say though is the following, from seeing the HD trailer.

The cars are well done, lots of polys, reflections, simulated hdr lighting, but still casting a hard shadow. Very nice, but nothing new, seen on PC and 360 in one form or another. The drivers look nice, move realistically but again nothing new.

The crowds dont cast shadows, even unrealistic ones. The people look like they are floating and arent moving. The motion blur goes a little way to hiding this, but not as next gen as I would have hoped.

Trees look ok, not that detailed, cast shadows though. Lots of them.

The mountians in the background look like an image, just a nice hires one.

Grass and roads. Just hires textures and and bit of bump mapping.

The buildings look medium res models with hires textures, much like you see in gears of war when the content is loading in the multiplayer and you see the scene build up.

All in all not that impressed. It looks like most of the processing is done to draw the cars to a high level of detail. Everything else is either faked using textures or hidden with the motion blur, which isnt the best I have seen.

Does this show the power of the PS3, yes to a point. It shows the power to shift around hires textures and more polys than the PS2. The 360 run the same demo if it had to.

What I believe impresses most people is the overall photorealistic feel the game puts across. Apart from the cars, which are very detailed, most of this is achieved by textures. There is a process of 'Baking' a texture with pre calculated lighting, so it looks good and fits in with the surroundings but actually is still just a flat image the processor is moving around.

Greas of War is the perfect example for this as you can see the process the GPU goes through when loading a multiplayer game.

This has been done for years in the special effects industry to cut down on render times. Programs such as lightwave can 'Bake' a model in minutes. Look here for a quick example. I believe the enviroments were rendered in a seperate package, the textures were baked with lighing info, shadows etc. Then loaded into a lower res scene for the PS3 engine.

Basically to get a photorealistic looking game they are using photorealistic textures rather than having the PS3 calculate everything on the fly. Thats pretty much what all next gen titles are going to be like. I remember a quote from Microsoft saying they doubled the amount of onboard memory for the 360 because Epic said GoW needed it.

dont be hating just cause this aint coming to your full circle box

dont be hating just cause this aint coming to your full circle box

Im not hating, I was giving a description of how I saw the footage in relation to how it was put together. I did say it was real PS3 footage something other people dont believe.

What I was doing was describing the techniques used to make the game look so good, to some people, while I think things soon will be much better.

What I tried to do was to use my knowledge from working in the games industry (I dont anymore I now produce 3D illustrations and animations) to say how it could be done in real time.

Hold on a sec.........there in game shots?

This is the version that was just like the upscaled Ps2 version with HD textures?

How real is the ps3 version gona look.......

Well GT:HD was more then just upscaled textures, as you can see they upped the poly count on the cars a little bit ;) and it all runs very smooth at 1080p..not bad eh? still this is only a taste of GT5, if this is how good it is now, imagine what it will be like in a year or two when GT5 is due ;) :woot:

Edit: and of cause don't forget GT:HD (and future revisions of the series) have cars from Ferrari as well now ;)

post-44573-1166783504.jpg

Edited by Xerxes

I NEED A FREAKING MAC/WIN VERSION OF THAT! :p

ive always dreamed of games that look like a TV live cast... oh baby...

we dont have to wait a long time anymore :D

mmh... i just hope EA will use a new/totally remastered engine for the next NFS, the current one is way old :rolleyes:

-fm

OK, not sure if I'll get flamed for this... But the Cars didn't look right on that map, or in that game :s They looked too 'Plastic', the wheels are an example when they are skidding across the road.

OK, not sure if I'll get flamed for this... But the Cars didn't look right on that map, or in that game :s They looked too 'Plastic', the wheels are an example when they are skidding across the road.

I just watched the video and I agree with you there...not to mention the cars seem to be "floating" on the road and don't appear to have any weight. I know it's probably hard to pull that illusion off, but the previous GT's did a pretty damn good job of pulling it off (well I thought so) and this one seems to have gone a little backwards, but perhaps it's just me :unsure: Anyway, does look awesome and if I had a PS3 I'd get that the second it was released :)

Nice, but if your looking for phot realism, the stills give a 1000x better impression of that to the hd trailer, which doesnt look greatly better than its 360 rivals. looks like gt5 will be awesome doubt that it'll be this good though, yet...

I just watched the video and I agree with you there...not to mention the cars seem to be "floating" on the road and don't appear to have any weight. I know it's probably hard to pull that illusion off, but the previous GT's did a pretty damn good job of pulling it off (well I thought so) and this one seems to have gone a little backwards, but perhaps it's just me :unsure: Anyway, does look awesome and if I had a PS3 I'd get that the second it was released :)

Exactly ^, there was too much motion blur to see the scenery to make a good comparison, but the Cars looked very weird and was very noticeable to me :s let's hope it's just a bug or something.

isn't this the game where you have to spend around 1K of real money to unlock everything?

It was, but they ditched that idea, put in some cars and a track and you can downlaod it for free wile they do GT5 instead.

For those doubting how the cars will feel when they are driven then let me put you out of your misery now. Unless Polyphonic have completely screwed themselves over Gran Turismo is almost lifelike in performance to real life driving, the way the cars handle is spot on, which is what makes this game extremely hard. I'm pretty sure this will be reflected in the demo.

I just watched the trailer over and over again! I really cant see what some of you guys are saying..........cars floating........motion blur...cars looking like plastic....are you guys watchin the same trailer as me??

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?type=mov&id=15813

also would this game not be using the same engine as the last GT so it will drive the same etc..?

so where is the official word saying there is no more pay to play for this... cus thats the only reason i'm not getting a PS3 cus of that stupid idea to ruin my game...