One finger salute to Vista

Firstly. I am so glad I didn't have to spend money to buy this turd operating system. Sure it was a gift from Microsoft for beta testing, but its a evil nasty product.

-Applications generally don't run as quick as Windows XP.

-File copying from DVD drive to Hard Disk is speed retarded.

-Lots of my games don't work or work at what seems is 30% slower than under Windows XP.

-My wife goes to www.tvpolonia.com and Internet Explorer dies - repeatedly.

I'm not even touching Windows Vista until after SP1 is released.

I have gone out and spent lots of cash and built a Core2Duo PC with 4GB DDR2 and while Vista itself boots and runs ok - application compatibility / Internet Explorer 7 reliability and general quirks mean I'm bidding farewell to vista while giving it a one finger salute.

I have calmed down now. Happily running Windows XP SP2 again. Nice to be back to a reliable operating system (Y)

The more I think about it the more it makes sense. Windows XP is the biggest competitor to Windows Vista!

It has only been out a month or two.

How long are people going to be using stuff like that as an excuse?

"Give it time, its only been out a few months" etc etc. When I was using the Beta I always thought, surely they cant release this? So many things need sorting out. But alas, they did.

Firstly. I am so glad I didn't have to spend money to buy this turd operating system. Sure it was a gift from Microsoft for beta testing, but its a evil nasty product.

-Lots of my games don't work or work at what seems is 30% slower than under Windows XP.

I'm not even touching Windows Vista until after SP1 is released.

I have gone out and spent lots of cash and built a Core2Duo PC with 4GB DDR2 and while Vista itself boots and runs ok - application compatibility / Internet Explorer 7 reliability and general quirks mean I'm bidding farewell to vista while giving it a one finger salute.

If you really had beta tested the OS, you would have realized all your frustrations a lot sooner and probably would have given up long before now...

I think you applied for the beta, submitted a single bug report, and went back to XP so you would get your copy. Now that you're willing to try it - you're disappointed in it? You get the one finger salute right back at ya...

Vista isn't perfect (I've had a couple BSODs and pretty bad driver support experience) and certainly isn't for everyone, but don't blame ID10T errors or ignorance on Microsoft.

Not likely, since most apps run faster especially on any reasonably modern hardware. Could be driver or appcompat related.

Also not likely since the copy engine is significantly faster than XP. Not sure what could be affecting that on your system.

Probably driver related. Since Vista hasn't been released to consumers yet you can't really fault the OS for the fact that some hardware vendors don't have their final drivers released. Also you may have had better luck running newer drivers if you were using the in-box ones.

You're probably running the non-Vista version of Flash, which causes applications (including IE) to crash because of memory corruption in the Flash runtime. If you install the latest Flash 9 update from Adobe it will fix that issue.

When I was using the Beta I always thought, surely they cant release this? So many things need sorting out. But alas, they did.

Sorry, you've been misinformed. We did not release the beta...

How long are people going to be using stuff like that as an excuse?

"Give it time, its only been out a few months" etc etc. When I was using the Beta I always thought, surely they cant release this? So many things need sorting out. But alas, they did.

It's kind of hard for an OS to truly shine when so many device drivers haven't been officially released. Yes there are problems with the core of Vista, and it will require a lot of work / patches, but they have a decent base to get started with.

It's kind of hard for an OS to truly shine when so many device drivers haven't been officially released. Yes there are problems with the core of Vista, and it will require a lot of work / patches, but they have a decent base to get started with.

Huh? What problems???

(...)snip(...)

The more I think about it the more it makes sense. Windows XP is the biggest competitor to Windows Vista!

hahaha its funny because its soo true, i never thought of it in that sense but you're right. Windows XP is Vista's biggest competitor.

But i also believe once Vista SP1 is out it will pwns xp.. and when SP2 comes out it will be the experience we XP'ers are having right now.. plus more :D

Not likely, since most apps run faster especially on any reasonably modern hardware. Could be driver or appcompat related.

Also not likely since the copy engine is significantly faster than XP. Not sure what could be affecting that on your system.

Probably driver related. Since Vista hasn't been released to consumers yet you can't really fault the OS for the fact that some hardware vendors don't have their final drivers released. Also you may have had better luck running newer drivers if you were using the in-box ones.

You're probably running the non-Vista version of Flash, which causes applications (including IE) to crash because of memory corruption in the Flash runtime. If you install the latest Flash 9 update from Adobe it will fix that issue.

Sorry, you've been misinformed. We did not release the beta...

Thanks for all the info that most of our problems are Driver related... Good job, excellent Microsoft answer. Rarely will fix the problem, but by jove it could be it! We had enough "features" in vista that our organization will not be thinking about purchasing any machines with vista on them till 2009 at the earliest. Definately not until several months after SP1.

...after checking your profile... you work for microsoft... ... why all the dotdotdot? The blogs, oh the humanity the blogs... /wrist /die

i tend to think you know absolutely nothing about that which you speak of.

Thanks for all the info that most of our problems are Driver related... Good job, excellent Microsoft answer. Rarely will fix the problem, but by jove it could be it! We had enough "features" in vista that our organization will not be thinking about purchasing any machines with vista on them till 2009 at the earliest. Definately not until several months after SP1.

...after checking your profile... you work for microsoft... ... why all the dotdotdot? The blogs, oh the humanity the blogs... /wrist /die

Well, it's not his fault that you people like to whine without knowing where the problem comes from. Those are mostly driver related problems and probably the majority of the posts ranting about Vista here are because of drivers.

You can only like it or dislike. They aren't enforcing you to switch, but in the long term you will have lots of benefits from using Vista. You can buy it tomorrow or in two years. That's your choice. But don't come here crying about something that was released to MANUFACTURERS so almost every goddamn problem like those ones is fixed when it releases to the masses in January. :p :laugh:

Um, can you repost that in English?

Well, it's not his fault that you people like to whine without knowing where the problem comes from. Those are mostly driver related problems and probably the majority of the posts ranting about Vista here are because of drivers.

You can only like it or dislike. They aren't enforcing you to switch, but in the long term you will have lots of benefits from using Vista. You can buy it tomorrow or in two years. That's your choice. But don't come here crying about something that was released to MANUFACTURERS so almost every goddamn problem like those ones is fixed when it releases to the masses in January. :p :laugh:

You people? Yeah, I'm not one of those internet retards that you may normally run across. (IE: User: "I'm having a problem with X_". Retard:"Did you try reinstaling windowz yet".) If most of the problems were driver related... which I must only figure Microsoft employees use that term way to loosely... why are the drivers in vista "Microsoft Certified" drivers then. Off that pont...

Lots of benefits? Says who? Bullcrap, I can see money pouring out just from support costs of instructing users on the ins/outs of it. Lets not get into its copycat security that has its "quirks" and "oh you have to do that, then that, why?, dunno, just has to work that way for "security". Yet a 12 year old online finds a way to bypass that. I'm speaking metaphorically about vista with that... but with WinXP... heeh, yeah that situation did happen.

I havent ever bothered with the WQL yet, I found WinXPs "support" far from exciting. Especially with oddball stuff like Win32_Provider operation. Some guys online found some trick to it to have read/query access to WMI... supposivly, wonder if vista would have a similar problem.

My main qualm? Marketing crap, it isnt the greatest thing since sliced bread, or even buttered toast. I have something they can butter, it isnt my toast. They want to charge 400+ strong for an OS throughout its shelflife? screw that, no wonder Microsoft is pulling in billions... well that and strongarming forcing negotiating every PC manufacturer to purchase an OS liscense for every PC AND Server they sell to get "incentives".

I know the guy didnt ask for it, but I gotta defend him. He gave his take on it, if enough people give thier pro/con to it, makes it easier for others to make an informed decision if they want it or not.

If you really had beta tested the OS, you would have realized all your frustrations a lot sooner and probably would have given up long before now...

I think you applied for the beta, submitted a single bug report, and went back to XP so you would get your copy. Now that you're willing to try it - you're disappointed in it? You get the one finger salute right back at ya...

Vista isn't perfect (I've had a couple BSODs and pretty bad driver support experience) and certainly isn't for everyone, but don't blame ID10T errors or ignorance on Microsoft.

I logged 500+ bugs. I wasn't there fore the free ride.

I had high hopes for the RTM build - and I had not run it until now. But now that I have, I am more sure than ever that Windows XP is the way to go.

Are you realy that stuped? :huh: Of course vista won't work right right away. They are still making drivers to work with vista.Do you think making a driver or a software program would be that easy? complete it in an hour? NO. It takes time, days if not weeks. Espeshy for Drivers and major software update versons

All i can see is you are the "give me give me give me. i want i want i want" type... and that won't get you far in life. :rolleyes:

If you want to get XP SP3 have fun waiting for it. it wont come out till 2008. and then it might feature things foud vista SP1 or vista SP2. (ie; WMP 12 IE8 or heaven forbid WMP13 and IE9 ;))

Basically if the moron companies would release drivers some of our issues would be solved. I am by no means saying Vista is Perfect ( the world knows its not) but what I am saying is that lots of companies probably already have drivers ready, they're just holding them until Jan 30th, (or whatever that release date is).

They don't really realize that there are already people out there running the software that could use the drivers NOW, and not in February.

People bitched about XP and said "Oh i'm sticking with 98 " XP sucks too childish, no drivers blah blah blah and now look at them. they are using XP and are bitching about vista... few years they will use vista and bitch about vienna.. and the cycle goes on...

People bitched about XP and said "Oh i'm sticking with 98 " XP sucks too childish, no drivers blah blah blah and now look at them. they are using XP and are bitching about vista... few years they will use vista and bitch about vienna.. and the cycle goes on...

yup exactly what i said a few days ago. People have to understand how things works, but apparently they are too lazy to do it.

Why the **** are you bitching about it? You got it for FREE and it's not even out to the general public. So no **** it will have problems.

When it gets OFFICIALLY released, it will be fixed in a hurry.