One finger salute to Vista

Just for the record I am not a linux or Apple fan

Whats annoying is that, seemingly within the Vista 'zealot' camp, as soon as you express a liking for either of those products, your opinion is immediately discredited. If anything, I think it puts you in a better position to give an opinion as you know what else is out there and how well (or badly!) other products work. I do love Apple stuff, and I have used Linux for a long time. Its impossible not to look at a distro like Ubuntu which really has had a spectacular year and has become such a powerful and easy to use distro and then look at something like Vista which came in late and sorely lacking a lot of promised (and desirable features) and not want to say a few negative words that the worlds largest software company has made a few mistakes along the way!

Brandon Live

I must say I'm pretty impressed with you vs 9 pages of trolls, you're doing really well :D

But I gotta add...I've never had a problem with Vista :s All these weird bugs you people speak of, I've never had any of them, my Vista remembers windows sizes etc :)

You people must have done something to your copies.. :s

-Rich-

hello! this is the time for the drivers to come out... god people just can't wait they want everything done right now... if you don't like it don't use it

I'm not talking about drivers... I know that there is no Open_Gl compatbility right now and other softwares (and hardwares) are not compatible yet... But I'm saying that Vista it's a big change (really big change) and it's not ready to take it at least until they can give a better support to it...

I runned in a lot of troubles when I was trying it out... I almost even loose one of my HD, and I'm sure it was Vistaa faults...

Still can't believe nVidia haven't got an official set of RTM drivers out yet.. over 2 months since their last official release :|

Still can't believe nVidia haven't got an official set of RTM drivers out yet.. over 2 months since their last official release :|

That would explain why some things like UAC prompts and going to the "control+alt+supr" menu still have this "black-screen-flash" for a split of a second. It's annoying.

But I don't understand how anyone could say, with a straight face, that Vista was/is a success.

A success?? It hasn't even been released to the general public!!

How about we wait 12 months and then we can see if it has been a success or not.

How can we judge it know when drivers are still beta drivers??

Your english fails...

Prove that its slower please when the final drivers are released...You expect beta drivers to give the best performance ever? Maybe your logic is as bad as your english...

thought neowin was a tech forum where people came to discuss tech stuff instead of grammar... anyway, who cares about a noob druid's opinion... I certainly dont

Edited by ntoledo

all I can say is for those to keep a good grip on their jar of Bill Gates Vasaline,because the real test will come after the 30th when Vista is in the hands of the 'retail' and 'businesses' (volume lic) customers. Money talks and free copies walk.

A success?? It hasn't even been released to the general public!!

How about we wait 12 months and then we can see if it has been a success or not.

How can we judge it know when drivers are still beta drivers??

not even an antivirus prog runs smoothly in vista..... oh i see... there are no drivers yet...

Hell Yeah! That jar of Bill Gates Vaseline is the better word for all the Vista Zealots who are so into an abusive relationship! They will even bend backward and show where the sun comes up to Bill Gates any given second! Its a bunch of tree hugging B.S. when you guys go into denial saying " What problems? Vista rocks my world baby!!!!" Admit it the lot of you have had some issues with Vista you just wont admit to it. Thats call living in an abusive relationship mixed in with some sorry ass denials! Grow up and speak the truth and it will set you free!

same here... :rolleyes:

not even an antivirus prog runs smoothly in vista..... oh i see... there are no drivers yet...

Windows Live One Care 1.5 - if other AV vendors are not capable of producing Vista compatible AV - it is their problem, not MS'.

Hell Yeah! That jar of Bill Gates Vaseline is the better word for all the Vista Zealots who are so into an abusive relationship! They will even bend backward and show where the sun comes up to Bill Gates any given second! Its a bunch of tree hugging B.S. when you guys go into denial saying " What problems? Vista rocks my world baby!!!!" Admit it the lot of you have had some issues with Vista you just wont admit to it. Thats call living in an abusive relationship mixed in with some sorry ass denials! Grow up and speak the truth and it will set you free!

What denial are you talking about? Yes I had problems with Vista, but I'm smart enough to see if it's Vista's or thrid-party's fault. Game not working (in my case it is F.E.A.R.) - is game engine and video driver issue, not Vista's. Thats the only issie I had with Vista - every other program I use works just fine.

What do people expect it's WINDOWS !, goto Mac OS X or Linux if you want a reliable OS.

Go bait somewhere else...

Vista isn't released for retail yet and it should be interesting to see what kind of 3rd party development for drivers and software there will be in January '07 for Vista.

My beefs with Vista so far are transfering files to other pc's on my Lan Vista likes to sit there and "calculate transfer time" while instead of calculating it could just transfer the file over, now i have to remotely connect to the pc and pull it off my Vista machine.

It is doing something... It's copying while it's calculating...

My #2 beef is Auction Sentry Deluxe doesn't work properly for Vista, I lost 2 Auctions tonite while I was sniping on eBay.

Not Vista's fault. Ask the Auction Sentry people why they haven't fixed it...

#3 My Laserjet Printer/Fax machine will not work, no drivers and since it's older than Santa Claus , I dont expect HP will be releasing Vista drivers for this and it works great and I have better items too spend money on than a new laser printer/fax machine.

Again, not Vista's fault. Demand support from HP for it or get a new printer. (BTW, Apple drops hardware support all the time, too.)

#4. My BenQ Flatbed Scanner, no vista drivers I've tried all kinds and still no support.

Again, not Vista's fault. Again, complain to BenQ for not writing drivers.

other than that Vista is okay.

But it's MS who deserves the one fingure salute for rushing Vista out the door too fast, and breaking promises...

What promises did they break? And how is 5 years 'out the door too fast'?

This could turn into another Windows ME, also Bill Gates & Stevie B deserve a 1 finger salute for the retail prices they will be gouging consumers for this OS.

Don't you have Windows already? Buy the upgrade version, it's cheaper...

Actually, most Anti-Virus applications run just fine under Vista. Newer versions of NOD32 run just fine, newer versions of AntiVir supposibly runs fine, etc. If your favourite AV vender doesn't run, just wait for them to release a newer version that works on Vista. If they don't release a newer version that works with Vista, obviously your favourite isn't a good choice ;).

What are you on about? Even Avast, which is FREE works fine under Vista. If a few crappy companies can't figure out how to program themselves out of a wet paper bag, that's not Vista's fault. Remember, the FREE AV programs all seem to work fine with it. :)

This thread is pathetic. There isn't even a civil debate going on here, people are just fighting. Well -- **** Vista, **** Linux, and **** Apple. Go spend your breath fighting for something that matters. No one needs to see this operating system allegiance zealot ****.

Windows Live One Care 1.5 - if other AV vendors are not capable of producing Vista compatible AV - it is their problem, not MS'.

unfortunately it is our (read it users) problem...

unfortunately it is our (read it users) problem...

OK, obviously you don't like MS' antivirus... Hell, write a letter to your favorite vendor and demand Vista support! What does Microsoft have to do with it?

I'm happy with OneCare, and don't need anything else.

I dont care how pretty vista is, it will always be inefficent. 700mb of ram to run an OS?! I think not (usually xp uses about 500. 200 physical and 300 swap. I saw a screenshot a few pages back that had 300 physical and 400 swap). Perhaps all that ugly glassy stuff is necessary to get work done. Name one good thing that vista has that other OSes don't.

700 mb to run Vista, uh no mines only use 400 which is not much more than xp did, and if you dont like glass thats you not Microsofts problem, they added it for the good of the non tech savy users. If you dont want all the extra stick with 2000 or xp.

I dont care how pretty vista is, it will always be inefficent. 700mb of ram to run an OS?! I think not (usually xp uses about 500. 200 physical and 300 swap. I saw a screenshot a few pages back that had 300 physical and 400 swap). Perhaps all that ugly glassy stuff is necessary to get work done. Name one good thing that vista has that other OSes don't.

Vista includes UAC while XP does not, Vista includes outbound protection with it's firewall while XP does not, etc

Vista includes UAC while XP does not, Vista includes outbound protection with it's firewall while XP does not, etc

Well you can get outbound firewall additions for free / nearly free for XP.. and as for UAC. Well yes, it does add on a certain layer of protection but i'd argue that its already been done in countless other Operating Systems for a long time (certainly OSX and Linux have done this for a while) - and that a well patched machine with a competent user wouldn't need the level of protection offered by UAC...

Looks like that unless they go out and create an Operating System to compete... these debates will always be created.

Sadly, people will just chuckle at the non-support/crap graphical features at it... so who cares.

My two sense is this. Vista is far more superior than that of any operating system out of Redmond so far. The security is larger in scope than that of XP.... and although the "eyecandy" is there, you can turn it off... but it makes for a better professional feel having the advantages of the Vista core features.... add that with Office 2007... and you have quite a package. I cannot wait for users to switch on my end, it not only makes their job easier, it helps cut down on the mangerial cutthroats that occur with statistics and stuff.

OK, obviously you don't like MS' antivirus... Hell, write a letter to your favorite vendor and demand Vista support! What does Microsoft have to do with it?

I'm happy with OneCare, and don't need anything else.

the antivirus thing was only an example... I use avg free which now has the version 7.5 installing fine in vista... however after each boot appears a message saying it could not initialize its service... great....

What are you talking about? Those numbers don't mean anything - especially since the numbers reported in Task Manager changed completely betwene XP and Vista. Yes, there are a lot of new features and services in Vista that will use some system resources. For example, my feature - Search - clearly uses some amount of memory and disk space (and some idle CPU time and I/O). However, if you install WDS 3.0 on XP you'll get exactly the same thing.

Beyond that, Vista is extremely good at making use of added system resources - like large amounts of memory. Why anyone would complain that Vista is actually making use of resources that went to waste under XP baffles me.