• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

One finger salute to Vista

thagame    0

where are these issues coming from. i havent had a single crash and i have been testing since alpha. I went to your wifes tv site and it loads just fine.

Tech_Dude_5000    0

yup exactly what i said a few days ago. People have to understand how things works, but apparently they are too lazy to do it.

they are just give me give me give me they have no patence., if microsoft rushed vista out you'd be complaing that things arn't working right and that they rushed it out to fast..

Astrum    10

I think it is not a big deal to run Windows XP nowadays with all flashing websites optimized. I would understand somebody saying "Vista is wreckage, back to FreeBSD!"

"Back to XP" is obvious. Your favorite USB2-driven beer holder will be perfectly cool and the minesweeper will not give up any frame.

NightmarE D    203

I think AxelStone needs to step out of this thread

He already said in a seperate thread I read earier that he's a BSD user and only uses Windows for gaming I believe.

In that thread, you made it pretty obvious with each of your posts that you're nothing but a Linux/BSD fanboy that will bash Windows any chance you get. But you use it for gaming? Isn't that against all the laws of Linux fanboy nature?

I think you just love seeing yourself on the internet IMHO

Oh and since you make yourself out to be this hardcore gamer and you use Windows for gaming. Don't forget that DirectX 10 will be Vista only. Meaning any DirectX 10 game will require Vista to play it and you'll most likely be buying it in the future ;) I can see your answer already "I'll just stop gaming on Windows and switch over to consoles" :rolleyes:

The only reason you decided to defend this guy is because he doesn't like Vista. Plain and simple and pretty damn obvious. You can also drop the "I'm the high and almighty one who knows all" attitude.

-----------------------------------------------

BTW, about this thread, it sounds like everything you hate is caused by driver and application compatibility issues. That's not Microsoft's fault ;) Blame the other hardware/software makers for that.

+mram    290

It sounds like people have problems with driver support again.

Gee, this never happened with Win3.1, Windows 95, Windows 2000 or XP. Gee, history never repeats itself.

And for those who can't hear the wit and sarcasm: The point is that IHV driver support is historically abysmal upon the new release of any OS that has changed it's fundamental driver model (Vista is one of those, big hint), and historically generally most people can't tell the difference between good driver support and the OS itself "being just wrong and fundamentally broken."

"OMGZOR my video card sucks!!!1 Microsoft can't write a decent OS!!"

Answer: Does your video card manufacturer have a supported, up-to-date, non-beta, released video card driver for that card? The one that comes with the OS is rudimentary, and not designed for all functions (meaning, it doesn't support the full range of features of every card, like complex graphic functions or high resolution monitors).

"OMGZOR my hard drives suck!!!1 Microsoft can't write a decent OS!!"

Answer: Does your motherboard manufacturer have a supported, up-to-date, non-beta, released IDE/SATA/RAID driver for that interface? The one that comes with the OS is.... yadda yadda...

Etc etc.

Yes, XP may appear to run better for you. So what. Don't blame the OS for hardware vendor LACK of support... because they've had 5 years to code something decent for XP.

SkinAddict    1

People bitched about XP and said "Oh i'm sticking with 98 " XP sucks too childish, no drivers blah blah blah and now look at them. they are using XP and are bitching about vista... few years they will use vista and bitch about vienna.. and the cycle goes on...

I love how everyone leaves ME out of that Cycle... that really says something for M$'s largest failure in the companies History. For all those people that have complained about how long Vista has taken to hit the market, did you REALLY want another WinME? :no:

Jexel    0

where are these issues coming from. i havent had a single crash and i have been testing since alpha. I went to your wifes tv site and it loads just fine.

I find that hard to believe and a rather bold remark.

Gurudesign.no    0

I have been running Vista as my primary OS for some time now, and I have had no problems. Runs faster then XP SP2. The only thing that I have noticed, is that some Adobe applications are not compatible with aero. Another thing is my extigy soundcard, but that's creatives fault. They will not support it under Vista.

Knight85    0

All this talk about drivers... Have the people who have had these problems EVER stopped to think about the billion devices that have suddenly become available to the average consumer since Windows XP came out? I personally used to think that a couple USB ports were MORE than sufficient a few years back and here I am now: I have a 7 port USB hub along with my computer ports and I am OUT OF PORTS!... already. I don't own stupid things that are just taking up space... printer, scanner, mouse/keyboard, external hard drive, MP3 player.... the list just grows.

Now, multiply all of these billion devices by the different companies AND the different versions and models from the same company!!!! The list is SO long, sometimes I feel like saluting those poor nerds at Microsoft who have made the sweet little "found new hardware" popup on the taskbar so good to hear. I have rarely had the found new hardware thing fail, unless I was blatantly ignoring directions or something. Give them time. I am sure you have never stopped to wonder for even a second why no matter what you plug into your computer works almost instantaneously compared to the old days of something like Win 98 when drivers and the registry of Windows was like ET territory.

boogerjones    86

People bitched about XP and said "Oh i'm sticking with 98 " XP sucks too childish\

Yeah, but not like they're bitching about Vista.

Bottom line: Vista is mostly a joke. MS has all but publicly admitted that it was a developmental disaster. I'm not excited about it at all, and certainly won't be upgrading.

Julius Caro    55

Yesterday emule just hung and there was absolutely no way to close the damn application. Task manager was useless... sure, I could blame emule and the crap it actually is, but why wouldn't vista let me kill the process? I wasn't able to shut the computer down, or even close my user's session. I was stuck with that thing "not responding".

At first I thought Vista's way of handling application crashes was better than XP's... in most of cases, it is... but not with emule

xpablo    136

What do people expect it's WINDOWS !, goto Mac OS X or Linux if you want a reliable OS.

Vista isn't released for retail yet and it should be interesting to see what kind of 3rd party development for drivers and software there will be in January '07 for Vista.

My beefs with Vista so far are transfering files to other pc's on my Lan Vista likes to sit there and "calculate transfer time" while instead of calculating it could just transfer the file over, now i have to remotely connect to the pc and pull it off my Vista machine.

My #2 beef is Auction Sentry Deluxe doesn't work properly for Vista, I lost 2 Auctions tonite while I was sniping on eBay.

#3 My Laserjet Printer/Fax machine will not work, no drivers and since it's older than Santa Claus , I dont expect HP will be releasing Vista drivers for this and it works great and I have better items too spend money on than a new laser printer/fax machine.

#4. My BenQ Flatbed Scanner, no vista drivers I've tried all kinds and still no support.

other than that Vista is okay.

But it's MS who deserves the one fingure salute for rushing Vista out the door too fast, and breaking promises...

This could turn into another Windows ME, also Bill Gates & Stevie B deserve a 1 finger salute for the retail prices they will be gouging consumers for this OS.

kyro    2

I have gone out and spent lots of cash and built a Core2Duo PC with 4GB DDR2 and while Vista itself boots and runs ok - application compatibility / Internet Explorer 7 reliability and general quirks mean I'm bidding farewell to vista while giving it a one finger salute.

Microsoft's work is done already ... Owange.

p.s:- i feel sorry for you really. I really wish ppl pull their heads out of ..... and stop praising vista for its useless feature-to-performance ratio. if some other company had done it, it would had gone bankrupt next day. its like hummer introducing a larger SUV with enough power to run a skyscraper but walks 5 miles per hour and needs 50 gallons a mile .

1Frothy    0

Microsoft's work is done already ... Owange.

p.s:- i feel sorry for you really. I really wish ppl pull their heads out of ..... and stop praising vista for its useless feature-to-performance ratio. if some other company had done it, it would had gone bankrupt next day. its like hummer introducing a larger SUV with enough power to run a skyscraper but walks 5 miles per hour and needs 50 gallons a mile .

(Y) That's how it is! Still, Windows XP runs like a dream on this new system.

Ok now just a thought, but if 1 Adobe Flash plugin can bring Vista's IE to its knees, how many other surprises are there that people will discover?

Time for another bald statement. Vista feels very breakable very fragile. It just doesn't feel solid. I don't feel confident using it at all. So that's one "C" out of "Clear, Confident and Connected" that doesn't fit Vista IMHO.

kyro    2
So that's one "C" out of "Clear, Confident and Connected" that doesn't fit Vista IMHO.

lollllllllllll :laugh: now if we both were at bar drinking.. next one is on me :p

DKAngel    318

still sounds like everyone is moaning like little bitches,dont like it dont use it, how hard is that, but honestly vista runs great, i got bored of xp, same crap day in day out, both os's feel stable, im also lucky that i can run absolutly everything i have here with out of the box or drivers that ive found and managed to get working =]

bring on the vista goodness =]

1Frothy    0

lollllllllllll :laugh: now if we both were at bar drinking.. next one is on me :p

:pint:

This one's on me.

Roll on Vista SP1.

Tech_Dude_5000    0

I love how everyone leaves ME out of that Cycle... that really says something for M$'s largest failure in the companies History. For all those people that have complained about how long Vista has taken to hit the market, did you REALLY want another WinME? :no:

right,I consider Windows ME Windows 98 3rd edtion. people need to learn that Windows ME took less then a year for the delovpement to be complete. they just took windows 98 and tweaked it a bit (ie;system restore,help and surport center,windows movie maker, and the clasic gray theme was changed slighty to a badge and title bar gradent to dark blue-light blue.) and launched it. 6 months later, XP was born

vista on the other hand took 5 years and already has tons of improvments over XP. I hate it when people judge it when they havent even used it. they just go by others opinions or crapy Jpeg screenshots.

1Frothy    0

still sounds like everyone is moaning like little bitches,dont like it dont use it, how hard is that, but honestly vista runs great, i got bored of xp, same crap day in day out, both os's feel stable, im also lucky that i can run absolutly everything i have here with out of the box or drivers that ive found and managed to get working =]

I have a nice third party theme and customised icons. Windows XP looks far more professional here than Vista. Oh wait <snap> maybe that's why there isn't a Vista Professional - because it isn't. :laugh:

I rate this topic - 1 red bar.

Tech_Dude_5000    0

XP feels so old to me.. sure windows blinds and few other tweaking programs. but that adds more to your hard drive and more ram useage.Why do that when you can get the real deal?

1Frothy    0

Tech_Dude_5000 Windows Vista isn't really that modern or cool looking, the Gee Whiz it's Cool factor wears off very quickly.

The more I think about it, Mac OS X is modern and cool looking. Vista is just transparent and loud and now with more gimmicks.

Tech_Dude_5000    0

I have a nice third party theme and customised icons. Windows XP looks far more professional here than Vista. Oh wait <snap> maybe that's why there isn't a Vista Professional - because it isn't. :laugh:

ok that right there is stuped. Windows XP professtional is for busniuses, vista busnius is gonna be just like windows XP professtional, just with a diferent name.

Tech_Dude_5000 Windows Vista isn't really that modern or cool looking, the Gee Whiz it's Cool factor wears off very quickly.

oh and you call Luna, whtich looks childish and preschoolish mordern? :huh:

and i never said anything about looks. I do wish people will stop this crap. they judge people with out knowing them.

and i also guess my forum won't do you any good....

chrispinto    12

People bitched about XP and said "Oh i'm sticking with 98 " XP sucks too childish, no drivers blah blah blah and now look at them. they are using XP and are bitching about vista... few years they will use vista and bitch about vienna.. and the cycle goes on...

This is the most sensible post of the entire thread!

The majority of the world hates "new", they prefer "old faithful things"

Tech_dude is right, in 2-3-4 years everyone will be drooling over Vista, winging about whatever version is in beta, and dreaming of XP days past (and probably laughing at how pathetic it was compared to Vista SP2 etc)

kyro    2

note:-

Dont want to steal away this thread - starters topic but..

1) I spoke from my own experience, i downloaded vista cpp edition (rc2) 3.7 gb 64 bit edition on my "broadband" 256 kbps pipe for a week . i called all my friends to tell i got vista dvd and all should signup for their keys and get a copy from me.... i was totally excited wiping (rock_hard_nipples_excited) out my xp install and getting this vista on it . but as said earlier, the cool factor just wore out in moments, it felt too fragile... things looked half baked and as i am following vista since its longhorn days missed half of the features that were pulled out of this default installed , i cud not be arsed to go install the addons.

2) Dont turn this discussion neowin-style "oh-noes-you-never-even-used" and "but-its-got-amazing-look" bitch fest. this bitch fest is why i almost left visiting neowin.

glen8    504

I have tried really hard to like Vista but it's just not happening.......

I've used the RTM for about two weeks now and went back to XP lastnight

It's just so round the houses, everything is so much effort.

I really wish they'd sorted out the beta program better. Why do I get temp folder size errors when installing the latest version of adobe reader? why does vista have a 50/50 connection rate on secured wlans? why does it keep changing monitors 2 and 3 over on my triple tft setup using bog standard drivers?

it's not all doom and gloom tho, it manages my resourses alot better and raid speed has definately increased.