One finger salute to Vista

note:-

Dont want to steal away this thread - starters topic but..

1) I spoke from my own experience, i downloaded vista cpp edition (rc2) 3.7 gb 64 bit edition on my "broadband" 256 kbps pipe for a week . i called all my friends to tell i got vista dvd and all should signup for their keys and get a copy from me.... i was totally excited wiping (rock_hard_nipples_excited) out my xp install and getting this vista on it . but as said earlier, the cool factor just wore out in moments, it felt too fragile... things looked half baked and as i am following vista since its longhorn days missed half of the features that were pulled out of this default installed , i cud not be arsed to go install the addons.

2) Dont turn this discussion neowin-style "oh-noes-you-never-even-used" and "but-its-got-amazing-look" bitch fest. this bitch fest is why i almost left visiting neowin.

I ushuly save my vista discustions for The vista forums, whitch I mod over there (oh i know how scary, tech dude mod'ing haha :p) people are so munch nicer over there, there isnt any lame crap like we sometimes get over here....

they are just give me give me give me they have no patence., if microsoft rushed vista out you'd be complaing that things arn't working right and that they rushed it out to fast..

Who are they, who is rushing, who have no patience? You mast rush and see your doctor. Microsoft is rushing to pick up your money from Christmas check (much to late again) they are pushing, pushing, pushing betas every week this year (changes was mostly removing features from the project) and we (all of as) have really a lot of patience and waiting for this (blooded Windows XP with couple of features and extremely hug of hardware and software together) last 5 years. For that amount of time we should get complete new Windows from stretch. And yes, almost forget, each of these left features is extra ~$100. O mama, that is so cool.

Firstly. I am so glad I didn't have to spend money to buy this turd operating system. Sure it was a gift from Microsoft for beta testing, but its a evil nasty product.

-Applications generally don't run as quick as Windows XP.

-File copying from DVD drive to Hard Disk is speed retarded.

-Lots of my games don't work or work at what seems is 30% slower than under Windows XP.

-My wife goes to www.tvpolonia.com and Internet Explorer dies - repeatedly.

I'm not even touching Windows Vista until after SP1 is released.

I have gone out and spent lots of cash and built a Core2Duo PC with 4GB DDR2 and while Vista itself boots and runs ok - application compatibility / Internet Explorer 7 reliability and general quirks mean I'm bidding farewell to vista while giving it a one finger salute.

Trust me I know how you feel, but I would be quite happy if I just had your problems with Vista.

These are all the problems I have have (1st post) https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...517676&st=0 and problems many other people have.

The only major problems I still have with Vista is standby don?t wor:(:(, my network connections die when copying large files so I have to re start and recently ICS keeps failing after I resume my computer from hibernation.

If anything applications seam faster in vista for me, maybe because my XP install was quite old but I do agree file copying is ridiculously slow... especially over a wireless network compared to xp.

As for games don?t even expect to play them until ATI and Nvidia release none beta drivers for Vista, saying that I can run Age of Empires 3 as good as it runs in XP on Vista but games like Counter Strike, Quake 4 and UT 2004 are a no go.

I think the problems are all down to drivers because many people don?t have half the problems I have, yet a lot of people have problems I don?t have? most are small but they add up and get annoying.

Bottom line: Vista is mostly a joke. MS has all but publicly admitted that it was a developmental disaster. I'm not excited about it at all, and certainly won't be upgrading.

What a load of crap. Point me at something where we said Vista was a "developmental disaster." Total load of crap.

Vista is by far the best OS we've ever shipped. It's a HUGE leap from XP and comparable to the Windows 2000 release in scope versus its predecessor.

There were challenges along the way, no doubt about it. There were hard cuts and a lot of lost time and effort, which I and others feel happened due to a lack of proper planning. But most of the people responsible learned from those mistakes and MS gained a ton in R&D during that time. None of those mistakes affected the quality or worthiness of the Vista release. The schedule, yeah. But the quality and value of the end product? Heck no. There are thousands of reasons why Vista is a better version of Windows than Windows XP. Is any one of them alone worth the upgrade? Maybe Search, and probably Security. Other than that, maybe not. But you don't buy one feature or one overhauled OS component or one bug fix. You're buying innumerable fixes and updates and hundreds or thousands of new features. And biased as I may be, I think there's no question that it's worth it.

You don't have to agree. But get off your high horse and stop deriding the endless blood, sweat, and tears that went into making Vista happen.

I think AxelStone needs to step out of this thread

He already said in a seperate thread I read earier that he's a BSD user and only uses Windows for gaming I believe.

In that thread, you made it pretty obvious with each of your posts that you're nothing but a Linux/BSD fanboy that will bash Windows any chance you get. But you use it for gaming? Isn't that against all the laws of Linux fanboy nature?

BTW, about this thread, it sounds like everything you hate is caused by driver and application compatibility issues. That's not Microsoft's fault ;) Blame the other hardware/software makers for that.

Whoever said I'm a linux fanboy, if you didnt notice in that thread I called the whole "linux initiative" in that stupid. My MAIN system at home is Win2k and at work WinXP. I manage winboxes every day at work. I use BSD when its USEFULL, everything has its place. The place Vista seems to appear is crammed down our throats.

As far as driver compat... Should "microsoft certified" driver work? Just my impression. course with alotv "tech savvy" Internet users... they could be updating/changing from them immediately due to lack of research. Although I have already experianced similar filecopy/OS quirck out of Vista Enterprise, and yes... microsoft released it for download to enterprise clients ?last month? I dont remember exactly, also I thought it was funny we had to call them up for the Vista PE deployment disk.

What a load of crap. Point me at something where we said Vista was a "developmental disaster." Total load of crap.

Vista is by far the best OS we've ever shipped. It's a HUGE leap from XP and comparable to the Windows 2000 release in scope versus its predecessor.

There were challenges along the way, no doubt about it. There were hard cuts and a lot of lost time and effort, which I and others feel happened due to a lack of proper planning. But most of the people responsible learned from those mistakes and MS gained a ton in R&D during that time. None of those mistakes affected the quality or worthiness of the Vista release. The schedule, yeah. But the quality and value of the end product? Heck no. There are thousands of reasons why Vista is a better version of Windows than Windows XP. Is any one of them alone worth the upgrade? Maybe Search, and probably Security. Other than that, maybe not. But you don't buy one feature or one overhauled OS component or one bug fix. You're buying innumerable fixes and updates and hundreds or thousands of new features. And biased as I may be, I think there's no question that it's worth it.

You don't have to agree. But get off your high horse and stop deriding the endless blood, sweat, and tears that went into making Vista happen.

Rofl one of the areas you work for "search" how cute. The whole reason I said that was to point out the "bias".

Apparently in your magical land you dont realize, unlike fanboys... Consumers dont care about your blood, sweat, and tears. They want it to work, be secure, and without effort. Dont like it? Want to argue that? Its reality. Even if not possible, thats what they want first. Oh, they want it to be pretty to.

I forgot to mention, anyone useing "MSDN Subscription" releases... Many of times I've had developers load a copy of 2k or XP on thier system from MSDN and have issues, they'd even request another disk. Use the one from my Action pack and it works great. The "MSDN" version may not always be the final files, even though its stamped RTM.

You're all jumping the gun. Much like everyone that bought first revision Xbox 360's, Playstation 3's etc.

You can easily compare previous and current Windows versions to the latest/past console releases.

We're they really worth it right away? No, not for most people. They had many problems on the hardware/programming level and on the game end.

Did first gen Xbox 360 games take advantage of everything available to them? No.

Do first gen Windows Vista drivers take advantage of everything available to them at this point? No. A lot of companies have yet to release official (non-beta) Vista drivers, or drivers for Vista at all.

We're there hardware/programming problems with the consoles? Yes.

Are there problems with Vista code it self? Yes. Just like every operating system on this planet. There are always bugs to work through after initial releases and through the operating systems entire life cycle!

Those of you that currently enjoy Vista, keep using it. Report any bugs/problems, hassle your hardware vendors for proper driver support. Those of you that have tried it and had problems? Don't use it until it gets better support for everything you want to do.

Eventually it will get polished in to a very nice operating system. Just look at the past Windows launches, they all had problems.

Right now you're all jumping the gun. The operating system hasn't even been officially launched for home use. So hold your comments till later in it's life cycle.

Operating systems are like fine wine. They only get better with age. :)

Just switched back from Vista RTM to XP SP2. It is so good to be back.

I say that because in XP, I actually feel in control of my computer.

No balloons trying to help me out, no (inconsistent!) UI forced upon me, no "startup items have been blocked" balloon that does not go away, a _real_ login screen, free RAM, longer battery life, MS Office that loads in the .001 of a second that it should, no useless eye candy (and don't even say that you can turn it off - Vista's Classic UI is a joke.), etc. etc.

My 2c.

Just switched back from Vista RTM to XP SP2. It is so good to be back.

I say that because in XP, I actually feel in control of my computer.

No balloons trying to help me out, no (inconsistent!) UI forced upon me, no "startup items have been blocked" balloon that does not go away, a _real_ login screen, free RAM, longer battery life, MS Office that loads in the .001 of a second that it should, no useless eye candy (and don't even say that you can turn it off - Vista's Classic UI is a joke.), etc. etc.

My 2c.

in vista explorer, you can turn off things such as the favorites pannel with out having to turn off aero.

I can run Age of Empires 3 as good as it runs in XP on Vista but games like Counter Strike, Quake 4 and UT 2004 are a no go.

Steam & my associated account works fine on Vista RTM, I play CS, CS:Source, Half Life, Half Life Source, Half Life 2 etc as well as random 3rd aprty mods (Snow Wars for example) all running fine on Vista, with the ATI WDDM Driver the OS provided me

ok that right there is stuped. Windows XP professtional is for busniuses, vista busnius is gonna be just like windows XP professtional, just with a diferent name.

oh and you call Luna, whtich looks childish and preschoolish mordern? :huh:

and i never said anything about looks. I do wish people will stop this crap. they judge people with out knowing them.

and i also guess my forum won't do you any good....

wow, I so did not understand that... in any case, your sig is HUGE... I think you'd benefit by reading this thread:

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?act=...f=7&t=25368

I think common sense has to prevail here or else this thread will really spiral out of control. I'm sure most users here know how Longhorn became Vista so in a way I can understand why they're a bit disappointed with the current version of Vista. Also, I'm sure most of you know that Windows Vista has only been release to business and certain individuals who've had the opportunity to receive a copy whereas the public release is only in January. So in a way, I'm going to ask, what are we complaining about?

Because you have to take into account that Microsoft is only in charge of half the process of making your computer run as it should. The other half is up to the third party developers who supply us with the necessary equipment, software and drivers to enrich our lives. It is, in a way, why your peripherals do not work as it should or have incompatibility problems on Windows Vista. I know some of you would defend Microsoft that it is not their fault that drivers are not release at the same time as Windows Vista and in a way I am going to defend Microsoft - to a point.

Creating a thread and speaking about your displeasure of Windows Vista is completely in your right, but at the end of the day, you have to look around and see the bigger picture. Why complain on a forum where we, the members, can be of little to no help for you when you can easily send an email to the manufacturer/company/corporation involved with your driver problems and ask/demand for a driver that works on your PC. A push in the right direction can go a long way into making some of your problems go away. Sure, our knowledge is in a way much more advance compared to normal users, but then again, do the normal users care about what's happening right now? As it is, they don't even know about Windows Vista let alone have it.

Also, I have to agree with malirene and Geekb0rg in a way. Windows Vista in its current form is a shadow of its former self. It could have been so much more, in fact more so than it really is. However, delays and unfortunate circumstances have made it from a must have upgrade to a viable upgrade. Don't get me wrong, Windows Vista still has quite a lot to offer to us, and the technology under the hood will help us even more in our daily lives. It is essential in a way as Windows XP is already 5 years old and it's starting to show its age. And in Windows Vista, its core is much better protected than Windows XP.

You also have to take into account that although you may find that Windows Vista is bland and boring, the general public has never heard or even see what it's about. And that is what Microsoft is really targeting. It's sad in a way as they are shrugging off the power users who enhance how Windows XP works in order to make a profit. And don't even think of saying otherwise considering that Microsoft is a corporation. But then again, you have a choice in the matter if you wish to have Windows Vista or Windows XP. If you don't like it, fine but put your criticisms in a more positive manner so we can all benefit from it.

At the end of the day, the choice is ultimately yours.

I ushuly save my vista discustions for The vista forums, whitch I mod over there (oh i know how scary, tech dude mod'ing haha :p) people are so munch nicer over there, there isnt any lame crap like we sometimes get over here....

I had to say this: of course people would be nice there. They're all fans over there so how can they say anything bad without resulting in a ban or some sorts? Of course over here, you get the pros and cons of Windows Vista as that is what we would really like to hear. Not the halo/god effect that Steve Jobs is using on Apple. And I prefer it if I know what I'm dealing with rather than be left in the dark about eventual problems. And since we have many people here using Windows, Linux and Mac, this means that ultimately, the battle is about our choices in the way we run our computer.

EDIT: Your signature by the way is too big, shrink it or remove it.

I think some people forget how hard it is to program, especially when dealing with a language such as c++ or Java. That's why I won't criticise people who program something for a living, as I myself know how hard it is. Yet I find it funny that they can complain about how expensive the OS is yet still pay an exuberant amount of money to get a graphic card to run a game, when in the first place you need a stable OS to run it.

Scirwode

Edited by Scirwode

This threads pretty pointless. Firstly all the issues by the 1st post were driver related. It's not MS's fault if several big name companies have been fluffing about with their driver support. Infact it's one thing thats really frustrated me not justn ow but it's also the reason I could never use Windows x64, because too many of these multi million dollar companies can't be bothered investing money into the drivers.

As for the look of the OS thats PURELY subjective. some users will love it, some will prefer lunar and yet many still love the look of Windows Classic. Personally I dont like the look of OSX at all. Basically any arguement on the look as a whole is going to be quite subjective and really just down to personal taste. Don't like it? Use something other than the default theme or better yet install Windows Blinds or something of equivalent nature.

Vista will be a good OS. It's unfortunate many companies havent been more proactive in releasing drivers, I've had alot of issues with getting network drivers for certain devices for instance but hopefully they will be out by 31st of Jan. But it seems a bit late for a Beta tester to be complaining about this and even if not, as a Beta tester you should at least be able to acknowledge the fact the problems lie not with MS but the Drivers by the manufacturers.

i wont be switching any time soon either, tried a few beta's of vista and a;; seemed to negate a few hardware upgrades. i don't like resource pigs at the best of times, even worse when its the os.

I have used xp since just before its official release and the worst i had to do was modify 1 reg key to fool a driver install into thinking it was going on 98.

i agree that driver support is pi55 poor at the moment, but even so their has been plenty of time to get these issues sorted out at least to a more acceptable degree, its not like Vista was dreamed up and coded over a weekend, everyone has know of its existence for a long time now.

my system is far from a dog so don't even attempt to blame my hardware to excuse Microsoft for a poor performance.

Vista would be ok for my granny, she couldn't do any damage to it and has time to spare waiting for it to do things.

"People bitched about XP and said "Oh i'm sticking with 98 " XP sucks too childish, no drivers blah blah blah and now look at them. they are using XP and are bitching about vista... few years they will use vista and bitch about vienna.. and the cycle goes on..."

THIS IS THE MOST REPEATED SENTENCE I SAY TO MY FRIENDS..

They used to yell MS when it released XP...they said they will stick to 98..But now they dont want to go back to win 98, even if it is given FREE...

So, Vista will be OK in 2008 in desktop...But i am not going to wait so long..bcos my 2.66 dual core & 1gb ram, 256mb nvidia 7300 is Enough for Vista for me...

Who said games run30% slower, i daily play nfs most wanted & nfs carbon...its great!!

Firstly. I am so glad I didn't have to spend money to buy this turd operating system. Sure it was a gift from Microsoft for beta testing, but its a evil nasty product.

-Applications generally don't run as quick as Windows XP.

-File copying from DVD drive to Hard Disk is speed retarded.

-Lots of my games don't work or work at what seems is 30% slower than under Windows XP.

-My wife goes to www.tvpolonia.com and Internet Explorer dies - repeatedly.

I have gone out and spent lots of cash and built a Core2Duo PC with 4GB DDR2 and while Vista itself boots and runs ok - application compatibility / Internet Explorer 7 reliability and general quirks mean I'm bidding farewell to vista while giving it a one finger salute.

Well I must to be agreed with you... Restoring all my baked up info from one HD to another took ages (40 GB's in about 2 hours??? somethings not right)... And I almost loosed one of my HD's...

Wen I restarted my system and get the desk of Vista suddenly the processor and all the computer started to sound like if it was at full charge and then my HD freeze... Happyly I saved my HD conecting it when the system was starting... Before that, the HD didn't even appear recognized by the BIOS of my motherboard...

Trully, I think Vista was not ready for shipping...

PD: I was running an evaluation copy for almost 2 weaks with just problems more than solutions...

Trully, I think Vista was not ready for shipping......

hello! this is the time for the drivers to come out... god people just can't wait they want everything done right now... if you don't like it don't use it

Wow this guy is a big Flame Boat. He is more worse then a 13 year old hitting puberty or is he?

Anyways I dont see how you have so much trouble with vista sounds like you have a bad download of the ISO off the internet. As for the 500+ bugs reported lol yea ok. Sounds like warez to me. I have Vista on my laptop runs better then XP. I also hope you happy showing us all how intelligent and well informed you are.

While I don't have the RTM just yet, I can say RC1 was a pain on my system (I got a BSOD cycle that was ever changing, gotta love it :p). I didn't want to screw my PC up so I bought XP with the Vista upgrade (as I just bought a new PC). That's not going to stray me away from using it when it comes out though. I know for a fact my games got lower frame rates with Vista, but I'm sure it's something that both the game manufactures and Microsoft themselves will fix.

There was a complaint about file transfers too ... I can vouch for SLOW transfers. Network transfers take tons longer (I think because it scans the files more before it copies them or something?). But that's something else that'll get faster I'm sure, and like I said I've not tried the RTM just yet.

And I'm running with 2GB ram Core 2 Duo E6600.

I was worried that my RAID 0 set up with 2x250GB Western Digital Hard Disks would be a problem when I upgrade, those comments have put me off for a while.

Did you read my post? I said MS did not admit that it was a "developmental disaster." But Ballmer said in a public speech that the dev cycle that comprise Vista's creation "would never happen again." That kind of implies that it WASN'T A GOOD THING. Took forever, dropped features, false promises, etc.

And if I'm riding a high horse, then you're riding a delusional camel. Yes, everyone's entitle to their opinion and we would all expect a Microsoft employee to endlessly defend Vista. But I don't understand how anyone could say, with a straight face, that Vista was/is a success.

Better than XP? In many areas, yes. But that doesn't necessitate praise.

Edited by boogerjones

Vista runs like a charm for me, all my applications work and look at my PC specs on my signature, nothing extraordinary, I don't know what these people are talking about, I think it's mainly Apple and Linux fanboys taking the opportunity to bash Vista and Microsoft like they always do.

I'm upgrading my system to a core 2 duo and I'm putting 4GBs of DDR2 RAM soon, boy I can't wait to see how Vista will perform on that, Oh let alone Vista and Office 2007 along each other, it's just the perfect match!

I won't be touching it at all, it's an ass of an operating system.

But I think M$ did a great job at fighting piracy, coz Vista is so pointless and slow, that I don't WANT to pirate it. :laugh:

mainly Apple and Linux fanboys taking the opportunity to bash Vista and Microsoft like they always do.

Haha, NO. I have an iMac G5 and use my PC over that, any day, it is nothing but a backup system now. And to be honest, Vista really does suck and I'd rather stick with my stripped down speedy snappy XP.

I won't be touching it at all, it's an ass of an operating system.

But I think M$ did a great job at fighting piracy, coz Vista is so pointless and slow, that I don't WANT to pirate it. :laugh:

Haha, NO. I have an iMac G5 and use my PC over that, any day, it is nothing but a backup system now. And to be honest, Vista really does suck and I'd rather stick with my stripped down speedy snappy XP.

If bash something and dont explain why then you are a troll.

I am using RC1 and itsa better at a lot of things then xp.

Example with my wireless vista tells me exactly what the conenction problem is. If its my internet conenction that went down it tells me, If My wireless cant contact the ap then it tells me. My xp instalation just gives me an excamtaion point and tells me there is a problem .

Also Media capabilites seem to be greatly improved in vista.

Also I noticed much better sound quality out of my mp3 files fromvista. 9this is compaired on the same comp with vista and xp on the same comp)

Also I can access information stored on my computer much easier .

also security is far superior on vista.

all this from using a beta version of the os and not the rtm version.