Prizes!

Things are starting to pop up on the internet about this and I am sure this is just the beginning.

I haven't seen anything about this besides here on Neowin and over at Unfiction.

I haven't seen anything about this besides here on Neowin and over at Unfiction.

I'm not going to link it, because it has private information about you and your family. Including your parents name's and street addresses along with phone numbers. I am sure all of this information is publically available to anyone that knows how to look.

Good luck

I'm not going to link it, because it has private information about you and your family. Including your parents name's and street addresses along with phone numbers. I am sure all of this information is publically available to anyone that knows how to look.

Good luck

If that's true... Wow. Just Wow. People are unbelievable.

Jason personally I have no problem with you cheating the system even if it makes my chances of winning smaller. The way I see it's all fair game even if you are breaking the rules. I think if you see an opportunity, you have to grab it. If you play fair all the time, you will never win or get anything. Honesty and fair play may be noble but in this life it doesn't get you very far. But I'd like to point out that it was mighty stupid of you to disclose your identity and your intentions on the internet.

I wish you luck nonetheless and hope you learned your lesson. If you must cheat, please don't tell others about it, for your own sake.

And can someone plz PM me that URL with winners. I promise not to distribute it anywhere. I just want to look myself up.

And can someone plz PM me that URL with winners. I promise not to distribute it anywhere. I just want to look myself up.

Can anyone PM me if there was anyone from Wisconsin on that list?? The letter wouldn't be going to where I live so it would be great to know if I was getting anything. "I'm in College"

The way I see it's all fair game even if you are breaking the rules. I think if you see an opportunity, you have to grab it. If you play fair all the time, you will never win or get anything.

That may be true for many aspects of life, but in the business world, especially in regards to legal matters such as this, lying and breaking rules won't get you anywhere. Microsoft and AMD have to report the information provided to them on their own taxes, and could potentially get in trouble for falsified tax information if it were found to be incorrect. The liability is basically transferred to you when you affirm that everything is correct, but it could still easily cause more trouble than what it's worth.

... If you play fair all the time, you will never win or get anything. Honesty and fair play may be noble but in this life it doesn't get you very far.

Honesty is ALWAYS the best policy!

If you play fair all the time, you will never win or get anything. Honesty and fair play may be noble but in this life it doesn't get you very far.

Okay so anybody who wins a contest or becomes a millionaire is a fraud??

Get your facts straight before you let **** out of your mouth.

By Jason playing unfair, it didnt give him any advantage to anyone else. It was the luck of the draw.

Everyone else who was valid had the same chances as him.

So technically, if Jason wins and we loose, theoretically we should be able to sue for loss of a chance to win (those of us eligaible anyway).

??????

Not that it would be a reasonable thing to do, but someone might...

problem is had he played fair he wouldnt of had the chance at all lol. This issue doesnt bother me that much. His legal guardian has sign for him and just cause he posted that he won on Neowin doesnt mean that they can prove that he actually played even if its his nick on the website. His father could of been sitting there next to him the whole way through. The bottom line is that the prizes are supposed to go to the smartest in the world lol thats certainly not happening haha.

That may be true for many aspects of life, but in the business world, especially in regards to legal matters such as this, lying and breaking rules won't get you anywhere. Microsoft and AMD have to report the information provided to them on their own taxes, and could potentially get in trouble for falsified tax information if it were found to be incorrect. The liability is basically transferred to you when you affirm that everything is correct, but it could still easily cause more trouble than what it's worth.

That's a good point of course, I didn't consider the exact legal implications of all this.

Honesty is ALWAYS the best policy!

Right...

Okay so anybody who wins a contest or becomes a millionaire is a fraud??

Get your facts straight before you let **** out of your mouth.

By Jason playing unfair, it didnt give him any advantage to anyone else. It was the luck of the draw.

Everyone else who was valid had the same chances as him.

Obviously I didn't mean anybody. I was just saying that if you follow rules your entire life and pass opportunities simply because you would have to cheat here and there, you may not get very far. This certainly applies. Why don't YOU get your facts straight! If Jason didn't lie about his age, he would not get to play at all! So he would have zero chance on winning. I guess it would have been smarter to put his father's name during registration. This way he could keep the prize and not worry about legal implications.

everyone can stop asking whether a package is heading to them, the list has every package listed as signed for and delivered. That means if dhl hasnt showed up at your house they arent in route according to the disscussed link. The only exception to this is a package to sydney. Thats it folks

everyone can stop asking whether a package is heading to them, the list has every package listed as signed for and delivered. That means if dhl hasnt showed up at your house they arent in route according to the disscussed link. The only exception to this is a package to sydney. Thats it folks

It had 8 names. I was under the impression there were like 490 prizes.

You're talking about the 15 first place winners and grand prize winner, right? We are still waiting on:

? Devices (75): a Windows Vista Ultimate, and one of the following: an Xbox 360,

Zune, or iRiver Clix.

? Software (150): Windows Vista Ultimate, or Office Ultimate 2007.

? Games (250): three Games for Windows game titles

Do you know where it was going to? Not COINKIDINKY-ly (lol, D-Cipher... :D ) to Frankfurt, Germany? *Hoping*

HEHE.....hope you win! :) ..(me too, lol)

Meanwhile, Microsoft's budget for marketing Vista in general was something like $300M+. This contest, I'm sure, cost probably a percentage point of that. Think of it this way: there's a point of diminishing marginal utility. They could make the prizes bigger. And have more of them. But it won't help *that* much more, and it's just money spent better elsewhere. So they look and see what has the proper balance of really good prizes and return per dollar spent and I think the trip to space itself as a prize was a smart way to handle that. They could've easily just given away a million dollars, but that's nowhere near as exotic and unique.

My 2 cents.

Edited by Rob
Legal stuff

You guys were awesome solving puzzles, not so awesome understanding each other. :p

1. People keep asking if they were on the list of 15. No you werent, because they are already delivered, except for one to Sidney Australia. So no, you did not win a first prize. yes, you may still win one of the lesser prizes.

2. Rob was talking about a previous issue, I dont think he called about this one, you partially quoted him and took him out of context, I think.

3. No matter wha tlegal mumbo jumbo the kid and his dads lawyers come up with, he already admitted that he was the one playing and not his dad. Webpages are recognized as evidence in court, thats all they need. I think they will still give it to them, but if they dont it will be a good(albeit expensive) learning experience. Remember at 15 when you thought you knew everything? :p

I've made that Flickr photo private. Who would've thought that tracking number needed to be blacked out too?

Adults.

Just kidding Jason, to be fair Im learning about the way these sweepstakes work too, along with many of the rest of us. And I really think you were trying to help us when you made your posts.

I think they will still give it to them, but if they dont it will be a good(albeit expensive) learning experience. Remember at 15 when you thought you knew everything? :p

It's MK's decision to give it to me or not. According to you guys, they know the situation.

What do you mean it will be "expensive" if they don't give it to me?

It's MK's decision to give it to me or not. According to you guys, they know the situation.

He means it will be expensive for you, to the tune of the several thousand dollars the prize is worth.

Opportunity cost and all.

:-)

You may have won one of the gaming rigs, valued at over 8 grand. I think youll get your prize anyway because its easier for them to do that. I believe it all depends on whether people complain, and how much.