Forcing Aero Glass Effect

Wow stop with the bashing.

Some of have laptops with 915 gpus in them.

In betas of Vista these chips handled aero just fine. The problem is not that the hardware cant handle it. The problem is Intel wont get off there butts to do a wddm driver.

The hardware itself can handle it and has in the past.

That one guy is probably hacking the registry and some of the files.

I was able to get winsat to show different scores but it didnt enable aero.

In betas of Vista these chips handled aero just fine. The problem is not that the hardware cant handle it. The problem is Intel wont get off there butts to do a wddm driver.

Exactly.

How much RAM have you got? I have a laptop with Intel Integrated Graphics (6 months old) and it runs Aero perfectly. I did need to bump the RAM up tho, running 2GB of RAM to be at full-speed.

post-208592-1174341831_thumb.jpg

YES THERS IS, I HAVE THE AERO EFFECT !! i have the most hated graphics card, intel 915gm (gma 900) without a wddm (cos there aint one) and 512mb

i have included a screenshot note that 1 box isnt transparrent this is because i havnt quite go to it in the registry! i also have the windows open and close just like in aero, (p.s notice on the bottom right window it is red, i done that through the registry, i also have the aero glass borders, dont know if you can see them on the screenshot, i would like to tell you how i done all this but its long and confusing, but i am almost there in cracking the computer for the real aero!! i can also force the computer to display a system rating of any number i want, i have it set at 6 at the moment, but all i will say for now is making your system rating higher will not enable aero, i have six, and no aero, and my dads comp has a rating of 1 with 512mb ram and has perfect aero, the only diffence is he has a wddm driver, and i know how to tell the computer it has a wddm driver however winsat then decides its found new hardware, and requires you to re evaluate the computer so that it can enable aero! but it dont work cos it picks up that there is no wddm driver and tells the computer it doesnt have a wddm, and stop aero from enabling. so once i have worked everything out, i will release a reg file that will automatically put the keys into the registry and enable aero upon your next restart!!

also one more thing copying reg keys from an aero enabled computer doesnt enable aero!! this is because of winsat, winsat has the aero enabled / disabled hidden somewhere but no in the registry, the registry will say default applied, whether the computer does aero or not, because the default is written in the computer by winsat, (if you get what i mean, if not basically in this case instead of the registry telling winsat what to do, winsat tells the registry what to do

lol ... this is just transparency. 2000/XP can do this. Aero is different in that it makes window *borders* semi-transparent while also blurring the background, and it's not the full window. If it were the full window, I sure wouldn't use it. ;) I never found transparency a "cool and nifty" feature in XP ...

There's a program out there that can do this for you without doing your registry hacks. I'm not sure it works on Vista, but I know there's several that are out there for Windows 2000 and XP.

LOL @ that screenshot.

Full-window transparency has been available since Windows 2000. You're very clearly running Vista Basic and using one of a dozen available tools (like WindowFX from Stardock) to change the transparency value on complete windows.

Aero will never work without a WDDM driver. The composition engine requires a WDDM driver (which is required for D3D9Ex) in order to function.

LOL @ that screenshot.

Full-window transparency has been available since Windows 2000. You're very clearly running Vista Basic and using one of a dozen available tools (like WindowFX from Stardock) to change the transparency value on complete windows.

Aero will never work without a WDDM driver. The composition engine requires a WDDM driver (which is required for D3D9Ex) in order to function.

look i know i have full window transparency, and im working on it to get it just like the real aero,

if you would like to know what files i have been editing in the registry, take a look at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Console

and check out HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects (expand visual effects ), and look you have all the things that can have effects!! including one that says transparent glass and DWMEnabled, but they all have default applied in them, i have worked mainly with HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Console because i dont know what keys to replace default applied with. but i am trying to work it out!

these two locations are where i have been working, also note that in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Console has a few keys which people used to enable aero in earlier versions e.g EnableColourSelection and ExtendEditKey just take a look and maybe you believe me that i am actually doing it properly and not using windowfx which i downloaded after everyone mentioning it, to see what it did, and yes it does transparency, but you loose you desktop and taskbar, i ended up having to restart the computer in safe mode and restore the computer, because the whole computer became transparent to mouse clicks aswell meaning i couldnt select anything. so windowfx makes the windows transparrent like i did, but ruins everything else in the process, also it make youre computer really slow, whereas what i was doing didnt really effect my computers performance.

wow, you win! you have amazing haxor skillz, you arent going to use desktop composition if your hardware doesnt support it. its just like how you cant run directx 10 features with a directx 9 card the hardware isnt good enough.

lol he's not making any progress at all. Anyone can see those registry settings. That DLL is going to look exactly the same on another computer, it's a binary - it's always the same.

It doesn't matter what registry setting you're going to change. If you were ever going to make something look a little more like Aero, you would need to do what WindowBlinds does or something like it. But you won't achieve anything like the real Aero. Even if you were a programming god and wrote your own composition engine, you wouldn't be able to make it the same quality without WDDM. WDDM exists for a reason, as it was necessary in order to make the display system capable of those kinds of effects with consistent performance and quality, and to allow all applictions (especially DirectX, D3D, OpenGL) to coexist peacefully with the composited desktop.

Ah, notepad. The hex editor/resource hacker/binary editor/etc of choice for you, apparently.

This really isn't going to work, you know. Desktop composition can't run because the functions that it requires in the graphics drivers simply don't exist.

Desktop Composition communicates with the drivers in ways that only WDDM has, the XDDM drivers simply don't have the "stuff" that it was written to communicate with. It's like trying to get a cd player to play a tape....or something....

Even if you were somehow able to trick it into starting, It'd just crash the second it loaded and tried to communicate with the graphics card. The most you'd ever be able to get out of it is a screen flicker.

Edited by MioTheGreat

Uhhm, are you reading the same thread as the rest of us...? :huh:

Yeah I am actually fool. The way I see it is the guy has taken his time to get aero working on his 915 laptop, no one else has bothererd to do this. From the screenshots which I am confident are authentitic we can see that he has made some progress. There is so much negativity and no need for it. We all want one common goal here which is aero on a non-wddm card. Need to be grateful to those trying to get it working, and it is most probably possible.

Yeah I am actually fool. The way I see it is the guy has taken his time to get aero nothing working on his 915 laptop, no one else has bothererd to do this. From the screenshots which I am confident are authentitic we can see that he has made some progress at getting transparent windows. There is so much negativity misinformation and lack of understanding and no need for it. We all want one common goal here which is aero on a non-wddm card people who don't know what they're talking about to stop posting. Need to be grateful to those trying to get it working, and it is most probably sort of kind of maybe possible.

Are you serious? Semi-transparent windows do not equal desktop composition (Aero).

You can change keys in the registry all day and you will never enable Aero without LDDM drivers and a DX9 card.

BTW, I would say that calling someone a "fool" is akin to "negativity", wouldn't you.

Edited by raskren

Yeah I am actually fool. The way I see it is the guy has taken his time to get aero working on his 915 laptop, no one else has bothererd to do this. From the screenshots which I am confident are authentitic we can see that he has made some progress. There is so much negativity and no need for it. We all want one common goal here which is aero on a non-wddm card. Need to be grateful to those trying to get it working, and it is most probably possible.

Something makes me think you don't know what Aero looks like either. And no, no one has spent time on it becuase it's IMPOSSIBLE to run Aero without WDDM.

Ignorance truly is bliss... What he's done so far is added transparency to the windows. This can easily be done with plenty of applications without potentially harming the registry editor. As stated in the previous twenty posts, without the Windows Display Driver Model his efforts are futile.

Please try and keep the conversation intelligent without calling anyone names, thank you!

You people make me laugh, you are the ignorant ones. If you are not interested in gettin aero going on a 915 then **** of and stop ya bitching. If you are interested, then work with the guy to get it going.

Also I do know what aero looks like as I have it on 2 out of my 3 PCs. The screenshots that okz19 posted look more like aero than the basic theme if you ignore petty things like the minimize and maximize buttons.

And lastly I am not IGNORANT nor am I a NAME-CALLER.

Lol dumbest thread ever, whats worse people egging him on to think he's actually doing something hehe pure gold :)

Exactly! Anyone who knows anything about Vista (Like the Microsoft employee Brandon Live!) knows this poster's quest is impossible, unless he writes a custom driver for his Intel Chipset.

I'm just curious to see where this thread is going!

Care to share? As far as I know, it is NOT possible. If you, indeed, do have full Aero effect on Vista with the Intel? 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - XDDM)>, I (and MANY others on this board) would like to know how you did it. Unless that's XP with a WindowBlinds Vista theme your image shows. ;))

You're right. It's not possible.

You people make me laugh, you are the ignorant ones. If you are not interested in gettin aero going on a 915 then **** of and stop ya bitching. If you are interested, then work with the guy to get it going.

It's not possible. Way, way smarter people have tried.

Also I do know what aero looks like as I have it on 2 out of my 3 PCs. The screenshots that okz19 posted look more like aero than the basic theme if you ignore petty things like the minimize and maximize buttons.

Petty things like the fact that it's obviously not Aero and just the Basic theme with a completely transparent window? What you said above is completely absurd. The changes he made (possible on Windows 2000 and XP as well) have absolutely nothing to do with composition, the DWM, or Aero. They're functions of USER and GDI, and competely pointless to any endeavor to make the DWM run on non-WDDM hardware. If you were really going to try and do that, you'd be taking a drastically different approach and you wouldn't be futzing around in the registry to do it.