NHL Hockey Playoff Thread

Is the Stanley Cup broadcast everywhere in 4:3 or is that all we get in the UK? It seems it would be so much better in wide-screen or am I missing the reasoning behind this?

It's in HD on VS and NBC... I've noticed the resolution/quality is much better on VS/NBC than on the Canadian CBC

It's in HD on VS and NBC... I've noticed the resolution/quality is much better on VS/NBC than on the Canadian CBC

I'll flip to HDNBC next time and have a look. I can't stand their overall production but I'll look specifically at the image quality.

CBC broadcasts of HDTV but I've heard before that they don't use the maximum resolution (I assume they use 1080i rather than 720p or vice-versa).

CBC.ca is streaming Stanley Cup games on their website but that is probably a lower quality than regular 4:3 TV.

I don't have HDTV but is everything in HDTV broadcast in true wide-screen then and not just a stretched 4:3 picture? It's not the picture quality that is a problem in the UK, just the aspect ratio so I was wondering if it was the same everywhere.

I don't have HDTV but is everything in HDTV broadcast in true wide-screen then and not just a stretched 4:3 picture? It's not the picture quality that is a problem in the UK, just the aspect ratio so I was wondering if it was the same everywhere.

There is one HDTV channel in Canada (The Score) that takes a 4:3 signal and stretches it to fit the 16:9 ratio and they only do it when they don't have proper HDTV content. I hate it. If I wanted to stretch the image to the maximum width or if I wanted to zoom in so that some of the top and bottom were cut off then I would use my HDTV remote. I do not want this done at the broadcast level.

Most other HDTV channels either display full HDTV content or they deliver 4:3 content with bars on the sides. The only advantage over normal channels in those cases is that the station logo gets moved off the picture and onto the black bar area.

In Canada, CityTV, OMNI (Multicultural) and CBC French television do quite a good job of presenting mostly HDTV content. All of their original programs like news, talk shows, cooking shows, etc... PBS, Discovery Canada and National Geographic Canada do excellent jobs at displaying HDTV content. The main US networks only do HDTV content during prime time (that probably has more to do with my local affiliates than anything else). CTV and Global pretty much only air HDTV content when they pick up US broadcasts during prime time. I don't watch that much prime time TV myself.

NBC has their white filter turned way up, presumably so that the black puck is more visible. On CBC the ice looks more natural (more greyish/bluish).

I don't otherwise notice a quality difference between the two. They are different, to be sure, but I don't find one to be "better".

I also laughed at the Pizza Pizza ad on the boards in Anaheim. While, Pizza Pizza has a few locations outside of Ontario, they are confined to Canada only.

I was just thinking something as I watched the missed penalty shot, the last 3 Canadian clubs in the Stanley Cup Finals were defeated by teams based in the US. These were not losses to say, original 6 clubs, but losses to Tampa Bay, Carolina and Anahiem. I would have never thought that would happen. I mean these arent exactly hockey towns. Maybe one of these clubs like in 10 or 20 years, but to have it happen bang, bang, bang is weird and a little wrong. Thats something aint it? Im not trying to rub anything in here, just an observation.

wait, who did Tampa Bay beat? I might be wrong on that one.

Nice job Ducks. Not a big fan of them, but I'm even less of an Ottawa fan. Emery and Neil just **** me off with their attitudes.

Anyway, another season is done. Hopefully my Avs will do better next season :)

Congrats to the Ducks. And as much as I would have loved to see the Sens win, it's always at least a little bit less painful to see the team that beat your team go on to win the cup :p

Congrats to the ducks, they deserved to win this. They certainly outworked the Sens in this series, it must have been a good feeling for Scott Niedermeyer to be able to hand the cup to his brother.

I gotta say, this is very weird to me that a bunch of Canadians would be happy an Ice Hockey team from Southern California, of all places, won the cup. And top that off against a Canadian team when Canada has not had the cup since '94 or so. Altho every team is basically a Canadian team as far as players country of origin. Is the next step an NHL team in Mexico? That might be kinda cool and would probably be successful. Anyway, just another observation...muther duckers.

Edited by solardog

Now that the Ducks are victorious, can they reclaim the "Mighty" title? I mean, before it seemed a little silly but now...

glad the ducks won it this year. been a fan since they came into the league and i was crushed when they lost to the devils. they deserved to win the stanley cup this year, so congrats to them :)

Now that the Ducks are victorious, can they reclaim the "Mighty" title? I mean, before it seemed a little silly but now...

haha they should. and bring back the old jerseys! i loved the old logo.