Leaked Halo 3 Beta Video

How are people judging the look of a game that's barely even in beta based on a shoddy low-quality video?

Exactly why I'm reserving comment. Seems pretty dumb not to. ;)

How are people judging the look of a game that's barely even in beta based on a shoddy low-quality video?

Its due out in just over 6 months. I think its very fair to pass judgement on the engine capabilities this late in development. Sure theres a way to go but its not like theres THAT long. And say its released mid Dec, thats what, 7 months? That probably leaves them with 5 - 5.5 months of actual development and testing time. Hell Beta is one step before release candidate which should be release quality code. Its not like its a pre alpha or anything.

People can only use the "its beta" for so long.

And yes I get your point, it will continue to improve. All I'm saying is they are running out of time if this is to be an 07 release. I seriously doubt the final product will look substantially better than what we've seen so far. It doesnt look bad, just not really that next gen either.

I have a feeling they have improved the graphics alot but just won't show the true power of the engine untill it's released so everybody is blown away (here's to hoping anyway :p)

Its due out in just over 6 months. I think its very fair to pass judgement on the engine capabilities this late in development. Sure theres a way to go but its not like theres THAT long. And say its released mid Dec, thats what, 7 months? That probably leaves them with 5 - 5.5 months of actual development and testing time. Hell Beta is one step before release candidate which should be release quality code. Its not like its a pre alpha or anything.

People can only use the "its beta" for so long.

And yes I get your point, it will continue to improve. All I'm saying is they are running out of time if this is to be an 07 release. I seriously doubt the final product will look substantially better than what we've seen so far. It doesnt look bad, just not really that next gen either.

It's pre-beta, not beta. And my main point was the quality of the video capture.

looks awsome

but the beta is only running during my exam weeks =[

looks good

not sure about the new damage shield effects though

the bubble nade looks cool

dont like that the "beat down" is now "smashed"

(yeh i got the higher res video and read the text)

the sniper fills up too much of the screen imo

but yeh

its only beta

and it looks fun

cant wait to test the AR for myself

(and therefore fail all my exams)

Guys look at my thread: https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=556725

The HDR engine is finally in and working great. And I'm sure there are plenty more visuals effects that will enabled later.

Those images are really old... they have been talking about the HDR effects in the weekly updates for months now...

My guess is the beta will be a nice taste... but knowing Bungie they are going to leave a lot out compared to the final version...

OK obviously the textures and such will be upped for final release. But it's pretty easy (for me anyway) to see how the graphics have improved, polygons, lighting ect...

PS: anyone else notice the scope on the sniper?? looks like an X-ray thingy...

halo3betazanzibarremaketi4.jpg

The sniper scope looks like a combo of Halo1 green and Halo2 view. :D

Yeah, the guy didn't block out the bottom.. so gamertags are present.

I wonder if he got in doo-doo for this yet.

Brandon, do you know anything about this..? If the guy who leaked it got busted?

I like the co-op of halo 1 and 2, but this looks like the same old boring multiplayer to me. It does in fact look ALOT better than halo 2 so I don't know what the other posters are smoking. Anyways yay for a new halo hope they add something new to the mix for multi tho cuzz that just looks like rehased dribble.

They are adding more, new gadgets or equipment that alters gameplay. So far we know there is a bubble shield, a land mine, and a few other gadgets Frankie has hinted at. We know of a "power drainer", but don't know what it does. Halo gameplay is pretty straightforward, its really about getting a community of gamers together and having fun.

Halo lan parties for life!

Yeah, the guy didn't block out the bottom.. so gamertags are present.

I wonder if he got in doo-doo for this yet.

Brandon, do you know anything about this..? If the guy who leaked it got busted?

What I've heard is that every leaker so far has been busted, and rightfully so. Everytime someone breaks that (especially for something that's internal Microsoft-only), it hurts the rest of us by making teams less likely to offer early access to employees outside their team.

Sucks that the beta will be capped at 2 player split-screen though. Was kind of looking forward to some large-scale lan parties... we'll just have to use more 360s ;) Hopefully they put system link in there...

The beta also will only be matchmaking, not even custom games. I do hope we still have a party system, even if there are no customs available :)

The beta is just to test Halo 3's netcode at a larger scale.

Therefore, it makes sence to have it matchmaking-only.

Halo 2 didn't have a public beta, and look what happened. Standby was horrible... Network bridging, and forcing host was awful towards the end.

Personally I think the network system shuold be setup to where you connect to another player who hosts the connection. However, if your connection fails, you would automatically connect to the next best connection to someone else in the game, their system will then just route your info to the host, etc. Not sure if it would work well, but it would eliminate the bridging problem...

Yeah that might be helpfully..

The way bridging worked was you'd block ALL IP's except your buddy, therefore when matchmaking was doing its thing, it forced host upon your buddy because it was the only way that the game could have you in it. (if your buddy was host). You couldn't connect to anyone other than your buddy. Therefore your buddy MUST be host.

Quite simple concept actually.

Yeah that might be helpfully..

The way bridging worked was you'd block ALL IP's except your buddy, therefore when matchmaking was doing its thing, it forced host upon your buddy because it was the only way that the game could have you in it. (if your buddy was host). You couldn't connect to anyone other than your buddy. Therefore your buddy MUST be host.

Quite simple concept actually.

the concept that got me to level 40 lol

:shiftyninja:

Personally I think the network system shuold be setup to where you connect to another player who hosts the connection. However, if your connection fails, you would automatically connect to the next best connection to someone else in the game, their system will then just route your info to the host, etc. Not sure if it would work well, but it would eliminate the bridging problem...

the problem with such a system is that now your rellying on EVERY user having not only a good downstream but also a good enough upstream in the event issues arrise and people need to connect elsewhere.

Also think about it in terms of data flow. For a piece of information to get from you to any other player you have to currently go via 2 machines. First the host and then secondly to the other players from there. In your proposed system in a worse case scenario every person could be connected to one person such as this 0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0 so rather than having a tree structure each person is connected to one (the host too is only connected to one other). Now if your the last person on this chain for any data to get to the host you have to go through alot of systems. Say data is being sent by the guy one up on the chain than you. That data will have to travel via 15 people to the host xbox then back down the chain to the last guy so thats like 31 jumps or something. In any event I think you get the point. Basically having it simply jump to the next person if an issue arrises can potentially cause alot more issues as your tree like network design will collapse into a linear line which isnt ideal. Really they are much better to play it safe and if a connection fails you should connect to a host that can accept you.

Also you have another issue. If anyone loses their connection they take the rest of the network with them (well anyone bellow them). That means if number 2 in the chain dropped out so would player 3 - 16. I realise if a host drops out your in no better position but at least the host knows he will be having X people connecting to him at any one time and can work with this knowledge to know if his connection can adequatly handle it (and if he has a dload cap whether hes prepared to use that bandwith). If its automated the system makes assumptions for you on who you connect to and also increases your bandwith cost as your ineffect acting as an intermediate host for other users.

I know I was talking about a worse case scenario here, but it can be scalled back and applied still with the same results and reasoning.