What do you miss about PC?

The problem is most of you sound like the same type of person, student/programmer/designer.

and the reason Windows owns like 98% of the market is because that 98% of the market has ZERO interest in doing any of those things. Windows dominates corporate and consumer because its easy and its familiar.

I've setup a lot of mac for clients that will usually give me trouble in a windows dominated house IE networking.

I've also setup a lot of PCs that will cause trouble but Due to 3rd party software and hardware.

The big difference here is you have just about ZERO customization with a mac which is WHY is so easy which is WHY there is no hassle.

With a PC MS can't buy up all the hardware vendors and say this is how its gonna be done then design there OS for 4 different configs.

Why most Windows and Linux based servers work so well The people that designed them designed them TO work with that hardware config.

Also why you don't see many OSX servers The hardware just isn't there and the OS won't support stuff that mac doesn't say is okay. IE hooking a logitech keyboard up to a mac why wouldn't that work? why no drivers?

Gateway, compaq, dell, emachines, ect... Aren't doing that they are buying parts from the lowest bidder regardless of driver or software support.

Point being is that they are both PC's there based off the same hardware difference being apple said this is what we are using for the next umteen years these are the drivers we need to get perfect before release. Where as your windows machine is bombarded with non-whql drivers and untested hardware on a daily bases. I'm sure if MS brought down the ironfist and said none of this hardware will be reconized by windows any more until you pay us this much money it goes through these tests its put in this many environments ect. ect.. The PC would be just as stable. MS gets in enough trouble with monopoly crap with out trying to implement something of that nature.

With all that being said I like the macbook used one for a graphic design class but I would never own one for any reason other than a toy. Kinda like a Sunday car.

As for things I WOULD miss if I did ever switch I would say....

1, Right Click

2, Windows explorer because Finder is crap and why on god green earth are icons random throw about folders I've never understood this if some one can answer that it would be super nice.

3, Gaming

4, Random piece of software that have not yet or will never get ports to a mac/UNIX based system

5, Maximize. Again why you can't do this I don't understand.

6, Customization hardware wise.

This msg brought to you by safari :D

Krux, if you just read through this topic you'd find that some of the things you'd miss if you did switch have been answered but i'll give you a recap.

1. Right Click - There is right click, you can even set it up in mouse preferences if you want right click on the mighty mouse.

2. Finder is not crap you just change your explorer behaviour to use an easier approach to locating and finding anything on your hd. Finder is especially good in Leopard and Spotlight provides instant searches.

3. Gaming - Ahhhh the old classic. I don't want to switch to a Mac because there are no games. If this is a sole reason for not switching then better to stay with a Windows PC or buy a console.

4. Random software - Every random software title I used on Windows I have found a better replacement for on the Mac.

5. Maximize - :huh: This is a reason! You actually posted this!

6. Customization - Have you heard about the Mac Pro? Did you know you can customize your mac before buying it? However, if you like to tinker at your Windows PC and include little flashing lights, some florescent colling tubes etc then again you're better off staying away from the Mac.

When I made the switch from Windows to OS X I immediately installed VM Ware Fusion with a, small, Windows XP machine running. I just need Access and Visual Studio and those applications are not available for Mac.

As for the rest, I don't miss anything. I have my PS3 if I'd like to game and all other applications are equivalent to XP. I can still browse the internet, mail people and write my reviews. Yesh, I'm fine.

Krux, if you just read through this topic you'd find that some of the things you'd miss if you did switch have been answered but i'll give you a recap.

1. Right Click - There is right click, you can even set it up in mouse preferences if you want right click on the mighty mouse.

2. Finder is not crap you just change your explorer behaviour to use an easier approach to locating and finding anything on your hd. Finder is especially good in Leopard and Spotlight provides instant searches.

3. Gaming - Ahhhh the old classic. I don't want to switch to a Mac because there are no games. If this is a sole reason for not switching then better to stay with a Windows PC or buy a console.

4. Random software - Every random software title I used on Windows I have found a better replacement for on the Mac.

5. Maximize - :huh: This is a reason! You actually posted this!

6. Customization - Have you heard about the Mac Pro? Did you know you can customize your mac before buying it? However, if you like to tinker at your Windows PC and include little flashing lights, some florescent colling tubes etc then again you're better off staying away from the Mac.

I wouldnt switch I was just saying those would be things I missed I was keeping my post in the context of the OP and yes I would miss maximize I Don't like seeing junk on the sides of my windows its distracting I'm sorry. Also you didn't explain why Icon's are randomly throw about folders or do you not know? As for the random apps I realise there are alternatives, problem with that is they don't ALWAYS do what you want the SAME way as the original program some things you want done a very specific way and everyone can relate to that. Some things can do it just not as well and if they can do it as well they don't do it how you like. I don't have any problem with apple products in fact I talked to one of my bosses today and he may be giving me a mac for learning reasons to better assist that small group of clients we have that do use them.

It's almost been a year and I miss nothing about Windows. Besides, I spend most of my days fixing Windows systems as I'm in I.T. and it sure is nice to come home to a hassle-free computer. The only time I see clients with Mac systems is when I'm setting them up and showing them the basics.

In addition, my wife had been on Windows up until three months ago and she is exceptionally happy with her first Apple experience.

I wouldnt switch I was just saying those would be things I missed I was keeping my post in the context of the OP and yes I would miss maximize I Don't like seeing junk on the sides of my windows its distracting I'm sorry. Also you didn't explain why Icon's are randomly throw about folders or do you not know? As for the random apps I realise there are alternatives, problem with that is they don't ALWAYS do what you want the SAME way as the original program some things you want done a very specific way and everyone can relate to that. Some things can do it just not as well and if they can do it as well they don't do it how you like. I don't have any problem with apple products in fact I talked to one of my bosses today and he may be giving me a mac for learning reasons to better assist that small group of clients we have that do use them.

Sorry about clearing up Finder if you pardon the pun. Finder does throw files and docs all over the place unless you set it up otherwise. It's quite simple to do and keeps everything tidy and organised. However with Spotlight I never worry where anything is. And I understand the random apps part but for myself I've never been in a similar position.

The switch to Apple is to be taken lightly I think. It took me a couple of months thinking about it and trying out a few Macs in the shop before taking the jump. I have been more than impressed with my decision and have never looked back. When you get the Mac from your boss give it a real good run. :)

I mainly miss the humble PC users who don't feel they need to launch into a religious sermon every time one of these stupid "Mac vs. PC" topics are brought up.

I actually set up right click on Mighty Mouse... I rather Ctrl+Click. I just got so used to it.

Isn't Hawaii Made from Japan?

Nothing, but then again I am not really a switcher since I still use windows and linux a lot. There is nothing I can't do in osx that I used to do in windows.

I did had a xp-partition on my macbook cause of some programs I had to use for my university, but replaced it with an ubuntu partition for testing purposes.

Also those who like OS X but miss the robust features of Windows Explorer should give either ForkLift or Path Finder a try. They are far more complex than the Finder, but in a good way. ForkLift, for example, gives you a dual-pane design that lets you basically browse two directories at once, making click/drag operations much easier and quicker. Both applications also offered tabbed browsing and full FTP clients, so you can browse other networks in one pane and have your own directories open in another pane. Quite brilliant, frankly.

What do I miss about PCs? Not a thing. It's been a month since I switched. In the meantime I've become so used to OS X that using Windows feels... well awkward. I became used to the OS X way of using computers really quickly and realise how much of a kludge Windows really is.

Well since a Macintosh is a PC (Personal Computer) there's nothing to miss.... expecially since now they are the same exact darn hardware!

now if we talk operating systems... they both have their pluses and minuses... OSX has a nice UI but Windows has much much more software choices... which is one thing I don't like about OSX right now...