Confirmed PS3 Firmware 1.8

23/05/2007 09:49

PS3 Firmware Version 1.80 Announced

Latest PLAYSTATION 3 Firmware Update Provides PlayStation, PlayStation 2 and DVD Upscaling

Remote Play on PSP (PlayStation Portable) via the Internet and DLNA transfer of media content also enabled

London, 24 May 2007 ? Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) announced today availability of the latest version of the PLAYSTATION?3 (PS3?) firmware. Version 1.80 features upscaling of PlayStation? and PlayStation 2 games, and DVD movies up to full 1080p HD resolution when viewed on a compatible HD TV set.

The capability to upscale DVDs to HD quality is a feature normally only associated with top range DVD players, and its inclusion in the latest firmware upgrade now allows PS3 owners with an existing DVD collection to dramatically enhance the viewing pleasure of their DVD collection when viewed through a compatible HD TV set1. Not only can DVD movies be enhanced to full 1080p HD quality but so too will PlayStation 2 and PlayStation games be upscaled to provide much improved gaming pleasure.

In a comprehensive update to PS3?s already impressive capabilities, Version 1.80 also allows users to enjoy Remote Play on their PSP across the internet, allowing them to access their PS3 anywhere in the world where a broadband internet connection is available2.

Version 1.80 also allows users on a home network to seamlessly view and play rich media content such as images, music and video on their PS3, that is stored on their DLNA3 enabled devices such as PCs and laptops elsewhere in the house, reinforcing PS3?s credentials as a home entertainment hub that truly deserves pride of place in the Living Room.

A host of other enhancements include the ability to print photo images stored on PS3?s hard disk or inserted storage media to a selection of Epson printers.

PS3 owners will be able to upgrade their PS3 with the latest Version 1.80 firmware from 24th May 2007.

- ends -

Notes

1. DVD-ROM (including DVD Video content) can only be upscaled with HDMI compatible TV sets.

2. Use of Remote Play requires a powered up PS3 with Version 1.80 as well as PSP firmware version 3.50 which will be available at the end of May.

3. DLNA ? Digital Living Network Alliance. For more info on DLNA, please see http://www.dlna.org/en/consumer/home

Source: http://www.scee.presscentre.com/Content/De...mp;NewsAreaID=2

Edited by Dijital

For me this just means a new PSP firmware is on the way (I refuse to upgrade my PS3, hoping to eventually find a way to mod it). I hope this remote play isn't the only improvement (for the PSP). I also hope it doesn't take Dark Alex long to "fix it up".

From reading around on the net, this update seems to be only available to European PS3 owners :pinch:

someone on neogaf contacted sony about it, and they said that it would be worldwide.

here's the official scea press release:

LATEST PLAYSTATION 3 FIRMWARE UPDATE ADDS UPSCALING FOR PLAYSTATION/PLAYSTATION 2 GAMES AND DVD MOVIES

Remote Play on PSP (PlayStation Portable) System via Wireless Internet and Access to Media Content via DLNA Technology Also Enabled

FOSTER CITY, Calif., May 23, 2007 ?€“ Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) today announced that the next regular system software update for the PLAYSTATION 3 (PS3) computer entertainment system (version 1.80) will be available on Thursday, May 24, and will add upscaling of PlayStation/PlayStation 2 games and DVD movies up to 1080p resolution. Now, in addition to displaying native high-definition (HD) content in the highest possible quality (1080p), PS3 system can turn standard definition content into a vibrant HD-quality experience.

The latest firmware update also gives PS3 owners more flexibility to enjoy their digital entertainment content where they want to. The Remote Play feature for using a PSP (PlayStation Portable) system to access photos, videos, and music on a PS3 system?€™s hard drive will be available from outside of a user?€™s own home via any accessible Wi-Fi Internet connection, upon the next PSP firmware update. Additionally, PS3 can now play back media content stored on a personal computer or digital video recorder with Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) capability over a home network.

?€œAs adoption of HDTVs continues to surge, we know that consumers are hungry for content, and this latest firmware update leverages the PS3?€™s technology to deliver an HD-quality experience using the entertainment media already in your collection,?€? said Peter Dille, senior vice president of marketing, SCEA. ?€œIn addition, we continue to enhance the PS3?€™s capabilities as an entertainment hub, giving consumers the option to bring their content with them on-the-go, or to stream photos, videos, and music stored on their PC to the PS3 in their living room. That?€™s often where the largest TV monitor and sound system is located, giving consumers the best possible entertainment experience.?€?

Upscaling Games and Movies

SCEA is enhancing the PS3 user experience by enabling PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games to be upscaled to HD resolution, up to 1080p. Classic games as well as recently released titles can now be enjoyed like never before. And PS3 system now has the capability to upscale DVD videos to HD quality (up to 1080p), a feature typically limited to top-of-the-line DVD players. Upscaling games requires an HDMI or component AV cable, while upscaling DVD-ROM (including DVD Video content) requires an HDMI cable and HDMI compatible TV set.

Media Content on the Move

Since November, PS3 owners have been able to stream photos, videos, and music stored on their PS3?€™s hard drive to a nearby PSP system. Consumers will soon have the freedom to access this media content wherever and whenever their PSP is connected to a wireless Internet access point. To take advantage of this feature, users will have to update their PSP system?€™s firmware to the next version, 3.50, slated for release next week. Once both systems are updated, consumers can enjoy their entertainment content wherever and whenever wireless Internet access is available, including the 7,000 T-Mobile HotSpot locations across the United States.

Other Feature Upgrades

Copying Saved Data to a Memory Card ?€“ Users can now copy saved data from

PlayStation or PlayStation 2 format software stored on their PS3 system to a

Memory Card or Memory Card (8MB) (for PlayStation 2), using their PS3

system and a Memory Card Adaptor.

Photo Printing, Viewing, and Editing ?€“ The photo capabilities of PS3 system

have been enhanced, allowing users to print digital photos stored on a PS3?€™s

hard drive or inserted storage media. Currently, select Epson printers connected

via USB are compatible. In addition, users will find a new type of slideshow for

displaying photos, zoom functionality and the option to crop images.

this gives me an incentive to buy a psp now. and the ability to move ps2 game saves from the ps3 back to a ps2 memory card is great!

Yay. Now I can play all of those games I bought. I just wish I hadn't send back Shadow of the Colossus today.

Hi guys,

I'm a bit confused about this whole DLNA thing. How do I know if my lappy is DLNA enabled? I never heard of DLNA until today. I have a MacBook Pro and my flatmate has a Samsung lappy.

What would I need to connect all these up via our Belkin wireless router to the PS3? :wacko:

This is good news, I wonder if the 2.0 Firmware leak is still mostly true, definitely good to see upscaling. HDMI only upscaling will probably bug a few people but I use HDMI so I'm good to go :D.

Hi guys,

I'm a bit confused about this whole DLNA thing. How do I know if my lappy is DLNA enabled? I never heard of DLNA until today. I have a MacBook Pro and my flatmate has a Samsung lappy.

What would I need to connect all these up via our Belkin wireless router to the PS3? :wacko:

Grabbed this reply from ps3forums by "3gjgr"

Basically this feature allows you to stream content from your PC to your PS3, the good news is you don?t need anything special: new PCs, old Win98 PCs, Linux PCs can all work as DLNA servers for the PS3, nothing needed from Sony. Here?s why:

First of all DLNA stands for DIGITAL LIVING NETWORK ALLIANCE, it's not a Sony thing, it's an electronics industry standard to make different electonic equipment share data.(simplification)

In the DLNA world, there are two types of devices: Digital Media Servers (DMS) and Digital Media Players (DMP).

DMS (a.k.a DLNA Servers) can be PCs, some NAS, some DVRs, anything that stores and shares content.

Player devices (DMP) can find and play or display the content that is shared on your network by server devices (DMS). The PS3 with FW 1.80 becomes a DMS as well.

So what makes a PC/Laptop a DLNA server: well software, and mostly free software.

The good news you don?t need the latest Windows PC, a Linux PC or Mac can be a DLNA server as well. For XP users, Windows Media Player 11 is already a DLNA server so your PS3 should be able to see it and play all the files MP11 makes available to it (Pix, Music and Video) How it will be presented on the PS3, depends on Sony but, you are ready, just go download 1.80.

There also add-on software packages if you prefer, such as Twonkyvision, tversity, and Orb, which will also make your standard PC act as a DLNA server. These will also run on Mac OS and Linux so that old Pentium I running Linux could be a DLNA server for Pix and Music, and maybe video (streaming video still needs horsepower, and fast network) All of these software packages will make any media they know about available to the PS3. How it will be presented on the PS3 depends on Sony and FW 1.80

Another option is a DLNA enabled NAS (Network Accessible Storage). Buffalo makes those and it?s basically a big harddrive that any PC can see, and some conform to the DLNA standard as a DMS, so Digital Media Players such as the PS3 can see their content. How it's presented, well same above

So, since all of you have a PC running Windows or Linux, you all have a DLNA server for your PS3. To me the biggest benefit is I no longer need to replace my 60Gb harddrive to put all my music and pictures. The 1TB of storage on the home PC/server will be accessible from the PS3.

Thank you Sony

More DLNA reading here http://www.dlna.org/en/consumer/home

Sounds simple:)nough :)

SCEA have updated their press release saying that firmware 1.8 and all of its features will be universal and NOT Europe only. :D

the update is available now in the u.s. if any of you are wondering.

been reading up on neogaf and it seems they added a feature that many people were griping about, which wasn't mentioned in the press release: 720p blu-ray playback. so for those of you with monitors that only go up to 720p, rejoice :)

Edited by Nightz