Confirmed PS3 Firmware 1.8

Has anyone gotten their media from their PCs to share properly so they can stream it from their PS3? And if so, what did you do to make it work? I've been messing around with it a bit, but haven't yet gotten it to work properly. Gotten it all working, but then have gotten denied access to the files, so trying to figure out another way.

Has anyone gotten their media from their PCs to share properly so they can stream it from their PS3? And if so, what did you do to make it work? I've been messing around with it a bit, but haven't yet gotten it to work properly. Gotten it all working, but then have gotten denied access to the files, so trying to figure out another way.

Yeah and it works great. I'm using WMP11 and I'm trying Orb. With WMP11 you have to go to Library > Media Sharing and check Share My Media.

The only problem I have now is that I can play AVI but I'm not if that is possible. :(

Its working pretty good - but I dont know if it's able to play video.

I tried xvid and wmv - none of which worked. Not sure if it could even find them :s

oh yeah, and the photo slideshow is nice! :D

Edited by Huleboeren

well i played around with the firmware a little bit and i'm impressed. the ps3 found the media from my pc right after the update. i've succeeded with the music and pictures, haven't really played with the videos yet. the upscaling is great. i've only had time to try it on one dvd (shrek 2 :p), but i did see a difference. as for ps2 games, i tried it on ff12 and gran turismo 4. i only checked the opening movies of the games though. i noticed a slight difference in ff12, but the opening movie looked good anyway without upscaling, so i didn't expect much change...i'll test it during actual gameplay tomorrow. as for gt4, all i have to say is wow. without upscaling, you could definitely see jaggies, but with upscaling and smoothing, the opening movie looked so sexy and pretty darn close to next-gen quality.

i'll be trying out more ps2 games tomorrow, as well as some ps1 games (ff7 woot!)

I'm on Vista, WMP11, i've allowed the "unknown device" but on the PC it says there's no tracks and that a connection with the media device could not be established, what could be wrong? :(

-Rich-

Well I just downloaded it and from my brief time with it I love it. God of War 2 looks amazing on my 1080p tv. I looked at Thank You for Smoking and it looked really good. All in all they are doing a really good job with their updates. There are still a couple of lingering issues I would like them to fix but so far it seems that they are actually listening. Now I will actually play some of those PS2 games I bought.

I'm on Vista, WMP11, i've allowed the "unknown device" but on the PC it says there's no tracks and that a connection with the media device could not be established, what could be wrong? :(

-Rich-

go to the PS3 and search for devices again, even though it will find the same devices as before.. that's what I did and it worked :p

the upscaler SUCKS... and I don't understand the game upscaler, what does it do when I enable it??

any widescreen ps2 games seem to be cut off at the edges when I use full upscaling option, whereas using the other upscaling option forces it to 4:3 and looks squashed :(

tried 2001 a space odyssey dvd tho and it looked great, even better than when you rip the dvd and copy the mpg to ps3

-Rich-

Restart your PS3 or search for new mediaservers

This update is brilliant :D Video is still annoying because it supports very few formats, but being able to stream all my music and pictures is too cool

Yeah and it works great. I'm using WMP11 and I'm trying Orb. With WMP11 you have to go to Library > Media Sharing and check Share My Media.

The only problem I have now is that I can play AVI but I'm not if that is possible. :(

I was trying to do it with Orb before, and that's where I was being denied access, going to try messing around with that one again. But I'll give WMP11 a try, thanks.

wmp11 has been the best solution for me. was having all sorts of problems trying to get tversity to work :(

I couldnt get TVesity to work but WMP11 and Orb worked fine. I prefer WMP11. I have read in other forums people playing avis using Nero MediaHome.

OMG this is class! Thanks for the idea for MediaHome, its awesome! I can stream avi over to the ps3 :D no more need for waitin for converting then transferring over to the ps3 harddrive! Just watchin some Peep Show atm :D and its great quality!

OMG this is class! Thanks for the idea for MediaHome, its awesome! I can stream avi over to the ps3 :D no more need for waitin for converting then transferring over to the ps3 harddrive! Just watchin some Peep Show atm :D and its great quality!

so it really works? I have to try that :D

Which kind of avi? :p

the update is available now in the u.s. if any of you are wondering.

been reading up on neogaf and it seems they added a feature that many people were griping about, which wasn't mentioned in the press release: 720p blu-ray playback. so for those of you with monitors that only go up to 720p, rejoice :)

What were BD's playing at when 720p was selected? 480p?