Confirmed PS3 Firmware 1.8

EyeConnect would be another solution for Mac users.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/17401

More info at the AVForums.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528317

Plus another thread over at the Playstation forums.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstatio...thread.id=45342

Could it be possible to stream TV using the PS3? I mean, it wouldn't be much different from streaming those videos transcoded on the fly... only that this time it would make sense that you can't use fast forward :p

Okay, my PS3 can see the files I share on my folder using Nero MediaHome/Scout

But when I click a movie/TVShow my screen just goes black on the ps3.

I can see in MediaHome that data is being transferred...

But nothing happens on the PS3 :s

Heres a few pics of it working

dsc00211gu5.th.jpg

dsc00213hw3.th.jpg

And heres a pic of Media Home and if you look at my speed meter i can tell its working cause my upload speed goes up to 800kb/s every so often

ps32js5.th.jpg

Heres a few pics of it working

And heres a pic of Media Home and if you look at my speed meter i can tell its working cause my upload speed goes up to 800kb/s every so often

This must be one of the best feature addition to the PS3 so far.

Can you tell me what codec was used to encode the avi files?

Yes there are Xvid Avi's then Media Home converts it to a readable format that the Ps3 can display while it streams! The only thing that could make this better would be if they added xvid support so you could stream without the need of converting :)

^ Or add the ability to pause the video without having to convert them to MPEG's using PS3 Video 9. If you are streaming avi's, you can't pause or FF, only play and stop.

^ Or add the ability to pause the video without having to convert them to MPEG's using PS3 Video 9. If you are streaming avi's, you can't pause or FF, only play and stop.

Yeah that's kinda annoying. But one step at a time I guess

Quick update i been tryin out TVersity, they hav been bringing out updates specially for the 1.8 update and i can confirm that TVeristy gives you the ablity to pause, fast forword, rewind etc..everything is alot more smoother but the quality is not as good and with some vids...seem to be Xvid there is a green bar down the left side and colour is a bit off and wierd!

http://tversity.blogspot.com/2007/05/patch...ony-ps3-is.html

Yes there are Xvid Avi's then Media Home converts it to a readable format that the Ps3 can display while it streams! The only thing that could make this better would be if they added xvid support so you could stream without the need of converting :)

Thanks for the reply.

Does media home automatically detect that PS3s can't play back xvids and convert, or do you have to manually set it to convert?

Sorry about all the questions, but this may be the feature that may make me go out and buy a PS3 :yes:

Thanks for the reply.

Does media home automatically detect that PS3s can't play back xvids and convert, or do you have to manually set it to convert?

Sorry about all the questions, but this may be the feature that may make me go out and buy a PS3 :yes:

MediaHome automatically converts the files. You can force it to covert all files to MPEG2, so that they all work on the PS3 (some files are left as MPEG4 for me...which won't work on the PS3).

Mate, go and buy the PS3...this "pwns" anything else available ;)

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah within the options of Media Home there is a drop down menu and you just put it to 'Auto Detect' and it do everything for you!

scr_NeroMediaHome_Transcoding_PreferredImageFormat_bg.jpg.jpg

Im messing about with TVersity here and i have to say im very impressed, i think this may be my new Media Home! Plus TVersity is free and the developers are very good and are bringing out constant updates for us :D

Quick update i been tryin out TVersity, they hav been bringing out updates specially for the 1.8 update and i can confirm that TVeristy gives you the ablity to pause, fast forword, rewind etc..everything is alot more smoother but the quality is not as good and with some vids...seem to be Xvid there is a green bar down the left side and colour is a bit off and wierd!

http://tversity.blogspot.com/2007/05/patch...ony-ps3-is.html

There seems to be lots of random issues with XviD/DivX (for me anyway). I've had the green line issue when using Orb.

Edit: apparently there's a new patch to fix TVersity's green bars :D

There seems to be lots of random issues with XviD/DivX (for me anyway). I've had the green line issue when using Orb.

Edit: apparently there's a new patch to fix TVersity's green bars :D

Sadly the V2 update didnt fix the green bar problem for me i think changing the output video res in the Tversity settings made a difference! atm i watchin a Xvid and it only has the tiniest little green bar at the bottom!

Notice i have paused the vid :p something u cant do in Media Home

dsc00214uc8.jpg

The Reason i decided to try TVersity was because when tryin to run a couple of vids off my External HDD i got stuttering and the audio was a bit off, but they run just fine on TVersity :)

Do I have to do something else beside Start Sharing in TVersity??? All the other media server I have tried work but not this one. I cant see it on the PS3.

EDIT: Ok I have to add MediaServer.exe to the exceptions list and now I see it on the PS3 but cant play the avis. It says that its not supported.

How can this thread have only 2 stars rating?? A lot of useful information in this thread :no:

Edited by KoL

Ah TVersity works perfectly for me :)

This is just incredible...I also tried remote play. So I can stream all the music, videos and pictures, whatever the format, to the PS3 and then onto the PSP...and view them anywhere in the world (soon). Fantastic.

@KoL: did you add the PS3 patch to TVersity? I didn't have to change any settings. Just turned sharing on and it showed up on the PS3.

I think TVersity is the best way to go for video...it works brilliantly :) Thanks Gavin!

Glad tversity has been getting the bugs hammered out.

I might have to try it out again, as the pause/rewind/fastforward functions have been annoying me lately. I need my bathroom breaks!

:)

I have installed TVersity and applied the patch but I can't see it on the PS3 :( I even disabled windows firewall, and nothing.

Edit. it works now.. didn't change a thing!

Edit2: From what I can see, the transcoded Xvid look bad (although the quality is somewhat acceptable). The playback of those files is sloppy too (it doesn't stop but it's as if it had a slower frame rate). Other files look great too, and I think hitting the pause button will allow the buffer to fill in (not sure yet).

Edited by Julius Caro

Yeah XviD doesn't look to hot. But at least it works and it watchable.

(XviD looks better for me with Nero MediaHome, but I have a crappy success rate when it comes to playing videos with it)

Yeah XviD doesn't look to hot. But at least it works and it watchable.

(XviD looks better for me with Nero MediaHome, but I have a crappy success rate when it comes to playing videos with it)

Same here, xvid looked better with Media Home. But getting the video to play was a one in a million thing, plus the audio was always out of sync. The thing is, my PS3 doesn't pick much signal from the router (the router is a bit far)... I could stream without problems an xvid with around 1.2 mbps (and it didn't look that bad either). But a 576i MPEG-2 video, at 6.1 mbps, the thing stopped from time to time. I have to add, either my TV or the PS3 have the best deinterlacer! The 576i video looked far better than it looks on satellite upscaled to 1080i , hehe

Nice to see PS3 finally starting to catch up to the competition :laugh:

Now all they have to do is improve the store... worldwide. From what I've read so far, the american xbox 360 store (or whatever it is called) is great, whereas the european one is not that good. Translating that into the PS3, the american PS store is what it is, but the european is a total joke. We had a month without any update at all... I think the only significant addition in the last month (or more) has been that qbert game.

I want HD tv shows or something... at reasonable prices!