Speeding is safer

Speeding is safer in several ways. Take Chicago where everyone drives 15+ over the speed limit, if your going 55 or whatever the limit is, your stalling traffic. It's safer for traffic to move at a constant flow.

Well, to add my 2c... (well, 5c, theres no 2c coins here anymore...)

So basically you're saying that speeding is safer than not speeding, just because you've had more accidents when sticking to the speed limit. So if we humour your theory that you are more prone to an accident at low speeds, consider this: the slower you and everyone around you are going, the higher the chance of survival in an acident! So you went off the road at ~50km/h and your precious BMW needs some suspension work. That's much better than going off the road at ~80km/h and possibly rolling the car into a tree injuring or killing you. Roads, for the most part, are designed to be safe at a particular speed to all vehicles that travel on that road. Going faster means that under the right conditons, you're gone!

Roads are serious business, most (but not all) accidents occur because people are being tools. Examples include: Talking on the phone while driving, playing "roundabout roulette", drink driving and speeding. There used to be a slogan used by the RTA that read "Safe speeding. There's no such thing."

I'd also just like to say that if it came to it, I'd appreciate if my car (a BMW also if that matters) took $3000 in suspension damage while saving my life. Occupant safety is one thing car manufacturers take into consideration when designing cars! So while yes, $3000 is a lot, it could have been worse given different conditions.

Of course speed limits are there for a reason. They generate revenue.

Even though someone driving at 35mph is twice as likely to kill a pedestrian if they hit them, compared to someone going at 30mph.

1. Speeding increases your breaking distance.

2. Speeding decreases the amount of time you have to react to a situation.

3. The faster you are going the more severe an incident will be.

Sure, you may have $3000 worth of damage to your car. But at least you walked away from the car accident, which may not be true if you were going 140km/h.

When I first got out of high school I got a job at a car accident reconstruction firm as a "scan boy." All that I did was scan pictures of horrid car wrecks and mangled bodies. Scared me straight.

Even though someone driving at 35mph is twice as likely to kill a pedestrian if they hit them, compared to someone going at 30mph.

This is what a cop once told me, in his words:

"If you ever run someone over, hit him hard enough and do what you can to make sure he's dead. If he survives, you'll have to pay his hospital bills and possibly be forced to give him a monthly payment for the rest of his life. If he dies, you'll only be held accountable for the funeral costs."

Sure, you may have $3000 worth of damage to your car. But at least you walked away from the car accident, which may not be true if you were going 140km/h.

I would never drive 140km/h on that specific road where this happened, that wouldn't be prudent. I would have only driven slightly faster than traffic in this case. It depends on the conditions.

Speed dosent kill. Bad drivers do.

http://members.forbes.com/forbes/2003/0915/224.html

They're safer because they actually ticket those who drive recklessly -- through use of cameras and other means. There was a great History Channel documentary on the Autobahn that explained why it's safer. It's definitely not safer because you can go as fast as you'd like. :rolleyes: Moreover, the roads on the Autobahn are made for speed; those on the US Interstate system ARE NOT made for high rates of speed. The limits are also there to help gas mileage (not so much as it used to be, though).

If speeding doesn't danger you, it dangers everyone else who has to put up with your senseless behavior. Why? Because all you see is what's in front of you, you're not really paying attention to how many people you cut off in your "weaving in and out of traffic". That's where the accidents occur, but you just aren't there to experience them and pay for them.

If speeding doesn't danger you, it dangers everyone else who has to put up with your senseless behavior. Why? Because all you see is what's in front of you, you're not really paying attention to how many people you cut off in your "weaving in and out of traffic". That's where the accidents occur, but you just aren't there to experience them and pay for them.

I never cut people off. I only change lanes if there is enough space, it's safe, and I use my turn signal and flash the brights to warn them. I drive very smoothly, my passengers rarely notice that we're speeding.

Yeah, sure, if that's the excuse you want for speeding, good luck with it. When the cop asks you whats the hurry and you answer with a "I'm keeping myself and my car safe", let me know how many pieces he rips the ticket into.

Lmao!

"If you ever run someone over, hit him hard enough and do what you can to make sure he's dead. If he survives, you'll have to pay his hospital bills and possibly be forced to give him a monthly payment for the rest of his life. If he dies, you'll only be held accountable for the funeral costs."

That is a pretty dang cruel thing for a cop to say.

That is a pretty dang cruel thing for a cop to say.

Yep. He pretty much told me "if he doesn't die the first time you run him over, do it again and do it right."

Yep. He pretty much told me "if he doesn't die the first time you run him over, do it again and do it right."

ud have to be a major dumb ass to run back over some one after you it em, if you got caught doing that youd be paying more than the

funeral costs.

This is what a cop once told me, in his words:

Do you have any sense of logic or morals at all?

Faster speed:

-Less reaction time (reaction to other drivers maneuvers/mistakes, or other things on or entering the roadway)

-Force of impact is much greater

No matter your logic you cannot argue these. You might feel more comfortable driving at high speeds because adrenaline is flowing, but it is not safer.

That's not a problem. Speeding tickets are $26 regardless of the speed. That's if they are determined enough to catch me, usually they just back off and figure it's not worth it.
Stay in Mexico, in Canada you would get something like $2000 and no more license after few tickets.

Don't think you are smarter because you drive fast, the day that you will kill a person because the car was too fast to stop in time you will see why there speed limits.

ud have to be a major dumb ass to run back over some one after you it em, if you got caught doing that youd be paying more than the

funeral costs.

In the states, if you hit and killed a pedestrian you run a pretty high risk of being charged with manslaughter (which = prison time). You would basically has to make your case that there was no possible way to avoid the incident. If you were driving "recklessly" (in any which way they can define and prove it) you are screwed.

In a fashion, i agree with what the OP is trying to say...

For one, everyone i know who's ever crashed, has never crashed through speeding, or by any fault of their own... I don't think i know anyone that has crashed through rolling there car off a hill or something.

The thread starter is just ****ed that he had someone crashing into his car, when it was least expected, and probably could have been avoided if he was driving in his usual style.

There is ways and means of speeding, if you are speeding, you have to know the road, its usual points of danger, and the maximum speed for the road.

It also depends on a lot of other factors, e.g. the car, and everything else.

How people think they can drive in fast situations and call themselves good drivers without knowing how there car drives in unusual, and hard conditions is beyond me. So Let me ask you this... your going down a motorway at 70+mph, and u need to stop really, really quick.

Since you've never really pushed the limits before, you have no idea how fast the car will stop, you also have no idea what will happen when you slam the brakes, more than likely ABS will kick in and you will have no where near enough time to stop, and have no idea how the car is going to behave when you need to push the limits.

There will be times when the limits of the car need to be reached, if you dont know where they are and how to react to them, then your ****ed.

Simple.

Speeding aint all bad.. just most people have this stereotypical image of some ###### in their heads that speeds 30+ over the speed limit all the time.. Its not how the majority work, so i don't get why people are so stuck up about it all...

And about reaction times, you should be looking far enough down the road at anyone time to eliminate any sort of difference a reaction time makes.

Stay in Mexico, in Canada you would get something like $2000 and no more license after few tickets.

Don't think you are smarter because you drive fast, the day that you will kill a person because the car was too fast to stop in time you will see why there speed limits.

$2000?? have you ever gotten a speeding ticket? they are usually about $100, but they can go as high as $500 (even though i've never known anyone who got one this high)....we're talking about SPEEDING not DUIs lol

The reason why you feel safer when your speeding is because you're concentrating harder. When you slowed down you lost your concentration. This is just one more reason why you are an awful driver and should be off the public streets. And justifying it by saying a ticket is only $26 proves you don't care about the safety of any one else on the road. People like you only learn the hard way.

When you are speeding you might feel safer and stop accidents happening to your car, but what about the guy behind you who slams on his breaks when you weave infront of him at 140km/h what about him? when he flips his car behind you. Ever look back in your rear view mirror?

Driving is not all about you, you have to be considerate to everyone else on the road. If everyone speeded like you the road would be a lot more dangerous.

hehe...i luv to speed

just recently saved up for my new car...yeh baby an Evo 8.woohoo

last week i did 260km on da highway...i was so beautiful!

im really a fan of drifting...so yeh..thats my ultimate dream..to drift professionally!

until then...im doin the random thing..where i stop nexxt to u..and provoke a race on the streets at night...y?...becos i luv 2