Speeding is safer

alot of you guys are worked up about this

if you speed and drive smart ( put distance between you and others) youll be fine its the morons who do 80 then ride up on someones end that cause accidenty

I usually drive faster than traffic. A lot faster. When everyone else is going 50km/h, I'm going 85km/h weaving in and out of traffic. If they're going 80km/h, I'm doing 140km/h. I have never even been close to getting into a car accident when I'm driving like this.
I never cut people off. I only change lanes if there is enough space, it's safe, and I use my turn signal and flash the brights to warn them. I drive very smoothly, my passengers rarely notice that we're speeding.

Weaving in and out of traffic at those speeds, especially when everyone else is going slower than you, is not safe by any sense of the word. People like you that drive excessively fast and weave through traffic are dangerous to everyone on the road.

Speed is usually the main contributer in the death of someone in an accident...

I had a cousin that died in a wreck in a grocery store parking lot. She was at 15mph and the jerk of the car snapped her neck. The argument that "speed kills" is not entirely true.

People talking on their cell phones while they drive are the ones who truly have no regard for others' safety.

Those people should get thier license revoked.

Of course speed limits are there for a reason. They generate revenue.

I totally agree. There's a place out by Terre Haute Indiana that had traffic lights and speed signs put up on a particular road after there were close to 200 deaths/accidents. There had to be so many accidents or fatalaties before it was deemed necessary to spend the money.

To many what-if's being thrown around here to make this any sort of good arguement. What-if's can put anything anywhere and make it seem like a good point, so stop using them and lets all turn to hard facts. Im going to post what i have found out, without links to sources though, because i really dont feel like looking for them agian.

Most all traffic accidents happen to cars that have more than 1 person in the car. They also now involve more mini-vans/suvs/trucks than smaller cars. these 2 facts show that distractions and cars that have bigger blind spots are a big factor in accidents. It has also been reported that most accidents that are happening are at 40mph and below. So i think from that, you can find that when your going slower, you are more relaxed, and prone to not pay as much attention to the road as should be paid. Most accidents are due to someone getting into a lane when they shouldnt have, causing someone to hit them, in which, speed doesnt matter as to why it happened, but how it will turn out.

I speed sometimes, but never more than usually 15mph over the speed limit. I have learned to go with the flow of traffic most of the time, but now and then, traffic is just moving to slow. Speed limits where put on the roads as a general regulation for the general population. The government thought ," what is a good speed for those who arent to bright?" and walla, we have speed limits. Some people can go over those and still handle their car without puting anything endanger. Most people though, should have to take a IQ and vision test before getting a license, because they have trouble even getting up to the speed limit and staying in their lane.

Speeders are rarely at fault for a accident, but their speed will determine the outcome of the accident. When your the best driver on the road, you must remember, that means everyone else isn't. Just because you are sure of your car and skills in handling it at high speeds, doesnt mean that dip who isnt paying attention wont throw you off.

but to bring this all to a point, speeders are paying more attention to the road than those going slower than them, if they werent, they wouldnt be on the road very long. Most accidents, studies proven, are due to people who are going to slow, getting into the wrong lanes, or making quick unneccesary stops without the use of indicators ( BLINKERS ).

if someone is cutting someone off to go faster, maybe that slow car should get out of the fast lanes, and into the slow lanes. 3 lanes to a road, most people know that right lane is slow, middle is just for whatever, and left lane is for passing. If you arent following that rule, then maybe your the problem, and the person cut you off because your not driving properly.... theres my 1 what-if lol.

$2000?? have you ever gotten a speeding ticket? they are usually about $100, but they can go as high as $500 (even though i've never known anyone who got one this high)....we're talking about SPEEDING not DUIs lol
Nah, I have no car nor never driven a car. But he said that tickets are always $23 in Mexico. Here get 5 tickets in a week you will touch the $500 per infraction easy and lost point isn't? Hence the $2000.

Anyway, the OP is selfish and don't think about others. That my real point.

they back off from you in a 525 ? what do the police use in your area ? donkeys ?

Lol, most cops don't know anything about cars.

We've had police back off from us in a debadged 316 :s

Also, not getting involved. Just wanted to say that I agree with Huezo. I don't know ANYONE that's ever been in an accident due to high speed. Always they've been the fault of an idiot doing something silly. (not incl. speeding if you class it as silly)

The reason why you feel safer when your speeding is because you're concentrating harder. When you slowed down you lost your concentration. This is just one more reason why you are an awful driver and should be off the public streets.

I'd say I was still pretty focused. During the crash I managed to turn off ASC (traction control) and use the weight of the car to slide out of the way of a power pole that I would have hit otherwise.

I'd say I was still pretty focused. During the crash I managed to turn off ASC (traction control) and use the weight of the car to slide out of the way of a power pole that I would have hit otherwise.

you can believe that all you want, but thats not the way it works... you just got lucky

you can believe that all you want, but thats not the way it works... you just got lucky

I didn't get lucky in not hitting that power pole. Had I been distracted as you say I was, my car would be wrapped around it.

I was able to turn off traction control and slide the car out of the way because I know the limits of my car. I'm familiar with the limits of my car because I reach them often. Driving sideways is not rare or shocking in any way.

Well it's not that speeding is safer then driving slow, but it's that there is a lot of idiot drivers out there and when your going fast your not by them long enough for anything to happen.

well you can say you controlled it, but if you were hit, it wasnt a controlled spin.. simple as that

Initially it was uncontrolled, but I managed to control it to minimize the damage.

there is a lot of idiot drivers out there and when your going fast your not by them long enough for anything to happen.

(Y)

There is a time and place for speeding. Its called a race track. Book yourself a day out on one, dont treat the roads as one.

i wish i had $26 tickets, last time i went 84mph in a 65mph i got a $230.60 ticket

Count No. | Statute Cite | Description | Severity | Offense Date | Plea

1 | 346.57(4)(gm) | Speeding on Freeway (16-19 MPH) | Forf. U | 11-26-2004 | No Contest on 12-21-2004

i wish i had $26 tickets, last time i went 84mph in a 65mph i got a $230.60 ticket

That's pretty crazy. I've only received one ticket in the US. 75 in a 50mph. $293. I thought about contesting it, but honestly it wasn't worth my time. I paid for it in $1 bills.

no you didnt, dont be rediculous.. how would you get 293 1$ bills, and why would you waste your time counting 293 bills when you could have just paid in 100$ bills

no you didnt, dont be rediculous.. how would you get 293 1$ bills, and why would you waste your time counting 293 bills when you could have just paid in 100$ bills

Because I had them already counted in batches of 100 bills. I don't waste my time counting them, I have a machine to do it. That's what I had at hand and it was as troublesome as taking three blocks and taking 7 bills out of one. Simple enough.

I don't know how much snowfall you get in Mexico, if any, but let me know how fast you can get your precious BMW while driving in a couple feet of snow. Weave in and out all you want, and you'll be resting 6 feet deep.

I don't know how much snowfall you get in Mexico, if any, but let me know how fast you can get your precious BMW while driving in a couple feet of snow. Weave in and out all you want, and you'll be resting 6 feet deep.

It snowed for an entire two days this year, and none last year.

Maybe you're just a professional driver or something man...you should look into legal racing because your driving skills sound so amazing!! HIGH FIVE DUDE!!

People talking on their cell phones while they drive are the ones who truly have no regard for others' safety.

Of course speed limits are there for a reason. They generate revenue.

Personally I'm grateful there are speed limits, and not just because I like to see others pay. :p

And themselves don't do it -- it's speeding drivers that generate revenue... :p

Sure, without any speed limits, no revenue for the police, but would you trust everyone to know how good drivers they are?

I sure as hell wouldn't.

One of the very few times that I think "Well, what's the hurry? I might as well drive calmly like everybody else" I get into a crash.

Someone ran me off the road and now my 525i has over $3,000 worth of suspension damage.

I usually drive faster than traffic. A lot faster. When everyone else is going 50km/h, I'm going 85km/h weaving in and out of traffic. If they're going 80km/h, I'm doing 140km/h. I have never even been close to getting into a car accident when I'm driving like this.

The three car accidents that I've been in have been during those very rare times when I slow down and drive at the same speed as everybody else.

This is not coincidence anymore. I can now conclude that I'm putting myself and my car at risk by not speeding and by letting the idiots catch up to me.

i think you're driving is a bit extreme, i mean you've said before you drift through intersections... maybe your driving environment allows that.

But i still agree with you to an extent. Driving faster keeps me awake and focused and yes, all of my accidents (non at fault) have been the times when i decided to drive like everyone else. I learned that Defensive driving was to not take the right of way, That is one i disagree with, to me Defensive Driving means watch out for the dumb ****s who can't drive. The rest just comes with experience.

Like with my sister, i noticed that she can barely keep the car going straight in her lane, but that's something i had to learn also, but she's getting there. The most important thing i need to teach her is how scan the road and predict. Sort of like playing chess, you think several moves ahead and make predictions as to how the other pieces will move and you counter that. There's no time to be wondering off in other thoughts, and especially her being a girl and all emotional and ****, which shows a lot when i let her drive (i usually make her pull over so i can drive) I take driving very serious, so i need to make her a man out of driving... in other words, THINK LOGICALLY.