AutoPatcher XP May 2007

actually there have been quite a few updates you should have had to install, but perhaps you have automatic updates turned on and windows automatically downloded and installed them for you...

I suppose that there's still work to be done on AP 5.6 to make international releases possible... Am I right?

/me waits for Italian AP XP June '07...

@g0rd0nF, yes, i've just recently re-writtent he documentation so thats a start. right now i'm working with anther team member to get all of our releases compatable with each other. once thats sorted and our june releases are complete, i need to do a little editing of the documentation to do these changes, and then i'll create the new translation packs so translators can get to work again.

The only true way of telling that any user has all the present updates installed, is to:

Start Internet Explorer (not firefox)

Click on tools (press ALT key to show this menubar in IE7)

Select Windows Update (note WGA validation required)

Follow the prompts (accept Ok etc)

Sometimes the browser may look like nothing's happening, just be patient and wait.

Confirm you have all the updates, and/or install any missing ones.

Restart

I believe all should do this from time to time just to confirm manually all is ok

If Windows Update does not work, you may need to place Windows Update service (usually only this one of 3 is the problem) into Automatic (plus start it too) from Start - Run - Services.msc <ok>

Kim

lets catch up on a few posts...

These three are not included:

Update for Windows XP (KB934238)

February 2007 CardSpace Update for Windows XP (KB925720)

Security Update for Flash Player (KB923789)

as WindowsXP-KB929338-x86

934238, theres no download for this...

925720 to be included

923789 replaced by newer editions of flash player, i will consider adding but i recommend that you installer the newer flash players (included)

929338 replaced by another update

@prandal, KB887472 and KB885626 have the exact same issue. booth will works only if you manually edit that modules and replace that /overwriteoem by /o. someone at ms did some mess in this ones and it says that works with /overwriteoem but doesn't. you may see that running this ones by command line without that /quiet option

but don't worry. this thing happends and for for sure it will be fixed, also any other issue that may be found at any release ;)

[]s

887472 and 885626 fixed in new release!

by the way, i've notice this, in autopatcher.log:

Module 'Microsoft DirectX - April 2007' (unique id: 'DX_ENU') reports 'WINDOWS_COMPONENTS_PARENT_ENU' as its parent, but such module does not exist or is not loaded in the right order.

Module 'Windows Update v7' (unique id: 'WU7_X86') reports 'WINDOWS_COMPONENTS_PARENT_ENU' as its parent, but such module does not exist or is not loaded in the right order.

was when combining with your release? if so, please wait for the new translation packs before making a release. there are big changes to come like multi-lingual parent modules in the next release, never mind all the stuff from last months release.

i've notice this too:

KB900399: UniqueID=KB888656_XP_X86_ENU

in this case, seems that KB900399 and KB888656 will not load.

already spotted and fixed int he next release!

i've miss cmdhere_powertoy. it just is missing or removed?

i removed it because we have a tweak that does exactly the same job at a fraction of the size

i've notice that msie7 isn't anymore an critical update. but if that isn't anymore a critical update, a few ones must be added, in order to keep user secure:

KB890046

KB931768 - it seems installed, but it's showed at windows update anyway. perhaps i have an outdated version or i did something wrong. will check it tomorrow

KB925720

KB924496

924496 was removed in the jan07 release, most likely because it was replaced. i recognise some of the others too, so they've probably been replaced as well...

> 934238, theres no download for this...

in fact, there's not, also there's no a download for wga. but automatic updates have downloaded booth. so, i've token from there.

> kb923789

have you already seen this one being installing fine? i don't.

> was when combining with your release?

just matching modules. i've realize that i may had drop something due ms don't release each update for every single language at same time (also did another day for cardspace. english is already at v2. all other languages, the last time that i saw still was at v1), so i've token yours like a mirror in order to see if i was missing something. i need this tool in order to work faster, so, ins't a lost time even if every single module change every month. but i've token that log just by installing AP english, merging all his packages and, at the last one, i've forgot that 'run ap'. of course, it say "you have downloaded...", but just by curious, i've looked at the log generated at %windir%\autopatcher.log and i saw that. but it may be due a few things that i was doing at that time, to separate each package and i'm not sure if i did that at that message or something else. anyway, anybody with a english version of winxp can check that

> i removed it

i've realize that a few time ago. i was searching for missing translations that i may have forgot and i've found that module. i believe that it was in there for ages and i never saw that. i've changed the description of that module in order to make more clear that "open command line option..." is that "open command line here" tool

> kb924496

yep. it was removed, in fact. but if you install all critical, all non critical, except IE7 and wmp11 that is showed also needed by windows update, like a few other ones. it may be due some mistake of winupdate or something, but it showed me that also needed. i believe that tomorrow i will do a few more tests.

by the way: KB896097 and KB921108 are already included in SDK module

I always thought that all 3 versions ran alongside each other. Infact, I just tried to install Paint.Net after running AP, and it is telling me that .Net 2.0 is not installed. Maybe Paint.Net is at fault, not sure... :unsure:

v1.1 SP1 replaces all previous versions. v2.0 is the next one and is the latest available for windows 2000, v3.0 replaces v2.0, infact really v3.0 is just v2.0 repackaged with a bunch of extra components. infact if you dis-assemble the v3.0 installer you'll find a copy of the original v2.0 installer there! (thats why patches for v2.0 apply to v3.0).

i don't know whats wrong with paint.net.

v1.1 SP1 replaces all previous versions. v2.0 is the next one and is the latest available for windows 2000, v3.0 replaces v2.0, infact really v3.0 is just v2.0 repackaged with a bunch of extra components. infact if you dis-assemble the v3.0 installer you'll find a copy of the original v2.0 installer there! (thats why patches for v2.0 apply to v3.0).

i don't know whats wrong with paint.net.

Cool, thanks for clearing that up. I'll post a bug over at the Paint.net forums.

I deleted my old version of Autopatch and installed the new one. Afterwards, I ran my antivirus and it told me some .dll and an .exe had changed. I'm assuming this is because of the updates and it's ok right?

kernel32, user 32, shell 32, and then ntoskrnl.exe changed

Just want to make sure everythings up to snuff. I'm no computer whiz.

Thanks

Hi!

I've a question. If I use this Ap for updating on a fresh copy of XP and later remove the AP, will then win's own updates still be in work properly(automatic updates) and these installed updates won't be deleted too? And there won't be any problems later?

thnks

hi...i having problem with AP installation.

i'm reinstalling my XP SP2 yesterday and try to install AP May x86 Core but cannot continue with the installation..

The error msg,

"This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

hi...i having problem with AP installation.

i'm reinstalling my XP SP2 yesterday and try to install AP May x86 Core but cannot continue with the installation..

The error msg,

"This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

-just solved the problem..

thanks for the AP...

-just solved the problem..

thanks for the AP...

And the solution was?

Any others having the same problem would have benefitted from your description of the causes and solution.

Phil

Being new to the forum and curious as well (I've known about Autopatcher quite a while though), I wondered upon what criteria do the MS updates / hot fixes / etc., make it into the "core" package?

Furthermore, it seems there is some duplication with the WMP10 addon and the WMP11 player included in the core package.

It would seem that if someone were to d/l all the packages thinking they might all be needed to be completely updated there may be some conflict if all are applied.

Those here who possess a lot of knowledge with the contents of the MS numbered hot fixes, etc. will have more of an advantage when considering which to apply to ones system and which to avoid.

Might there be any help in resolving a few of these issues I've discussed. Please know that I intend to rifle the individual forums / posts in an effort to edify myself in the quickest manner, but I thought I'd ask, too.