name your favorite xp item that is now missing in vista

Name your favorite xp item, or xp operation or any shortcut or software that is now missing in vista and you hope it would be added to vista to make things easier. In reverse what what one item would love to remove from vista

Edited by martym

I miss Thumbnail view for folders - navigating albums is so much easier when I can see the image square on instead of appearing out of a folder like it does in Vista.

As for removing a feature that would have to be the inline All Programs menu... absolute rubbish. If it wasn't for the search functionality the Start Menu would be appalling.

Ability to compile code in C language .... :|

Uh. You can still do that.

stability

Funny. I was going to make a joke, saying: Instability and a crummy shell, or something, but I decided not to....

I miss Thumbnail view for folders

:blink: Thumbnail view is avaible in Vista and it's better than XP

- Total size of current open folder (in XP it shows in the status bar but not in vista.

ALT -> Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> Advanced Settings -> Use check boxes to select items.

And when you want to know the total size of current folder, you can click on the checkbox near the "Name" column which selects all files/folders and displays the total size on bottom pane.

Edited by franzon

- Total size of current open folder (in XP it shows in the status bar but not in vista.

I guess what you are asking is still available in status bar in Vista. Remember that status bar is off by default and the preview bar in vista explorer is not the same as status bar. You can still see the old status bar by checking View->Status Bar from the menu.

The "double click margin to back up a directory" is a must have however you get it. You can find it in Pistachio or QT Tabbar which I use for a tabbed explorer in XP/Vista + other shell tweaks. In Vista it looks weird cos tabs are ugly in Vista but I've just gotten used to it.

The XP about box.

Seriously, it's not that different in my daily life. -.-

Start > winver > Enter :D

For me, I miss nothing... mm or may be ALT+CTRL+DEL to open Task Manager directly.

Until it comes back, you can use ALT+Up Arrow :)

Or you can just click on the previous folder in the address bar. It's basically the same as using the up arrow except you can go back more than one folder with just a single click.

Well the defrag is there and is improved infact. Only problem is that it runs on all the disks, no option to choose a single partition. Other than that it doesn't let you stare at screen while blocks are dancing around, well that is in fact better because you don't waste hours doing nothing :)

And I hear that drag in Vista only runs when your computer is not in use.

Thanks franzon for that folder size...I guess MS wants us to develop muscle pains in our hands from doing more clicking than ever.

I guess what you are asking is still available in status bar in Vista. Remember that status bar is off by default and the preview bar in vista explorer is not the same as status bar. You can still see the old status bar by checking View->Status Bar from the menu.

Nope, the "classic" status bar in Vista doesn't show the total size of files in the current directory, only selected files total file size which is what is displayed in the details pane.

Being able to set file associations through folder settings in explorer and changing the associated file icon the same way.

At the moment I have to use a 3rd party app (Creative element) to do something that was part of the OS before.

Apart from those two gripes Vista rules, I wouldn't go back to XP now. I've never had a single crash or problem with Vista

I find the breadbcrumb bar to be a decent replacement for the Up Arrow.

I miss the old network browser. Been able to go to network places, view workgroup computers, then just go up a level to browse other workgroups. Now unless a computer is in the same workgroup, or you know it's name, it's impossible to find it!