name your favorite xp item that is now missing in vista

Yeah, a lot of people didn't like that MS removed Remote Desktop. Though, I suppose if you think about it, it's more of something you'd use in a production environment. At the very least, Microsoft doesn't expect the 'average' home user to use Remote Desktop, and they're usually the power users so they should go Ultimate.

removed remote desktop? from what? it was only ever in the pro and server versions... and MCE / Tablet Edition was Windows XP Pro

Vista Business (aka professional) as RDP... why would you have to go all the way to Ultimate?

Uh... perhaps because Home Premium and Ulimate have features that I do want that Business doesn't. Namely the entertainment features like Media Center, DVD Maker, etc.

I just think that Microsoft made some arbitrary decisions on what features should go in each edition. And the pricing between editions doesn't make a lot of sense.

Yeah, a lot of people didn't like that MS removed Remote Desktop. Though, I suppose if you think about it, it's more of something you'd use in a production environment. At the very least, Microsoft doesn't expect the 'average' home user to use Remote Desktop, and they're usually the power users so they should go Ultimate.

It's not so much about 'average' home user or not. I think the scenario I describe is reasonable. I want to be able to Remote Desktop to my kid's PC to install software, etc. since they are not admins. It's not like my kids need to be able to use remote desktop. Perhaps they should have made it so Ultimate can connect to lesser versions.

I have this crazy idea. I should be able to choose how my folders/files are listed and organized, and once I choose a setting it should stay that way. Vista keeps changing my individual folder settings on me, EVERY SINGLE TIME the contents of a folder change.

I'll set up a folder to show files in list view, and I'll set the size of the window. Next time I open the folder it opens completely maximized, taking up the whole desktop. And since I recently added a video file, or any file for that matter, it goes back to showing the files as thumbnails.

Also, I should not have to refresh the desktop to show a file I recently saved to it, or to get the ghost of an already deleted file/folder to disappear.

Lastly, and the most pathetic bug of them all, it should not take 20 seconds to delete a file as tiny as 50KB. Nor should it take forever to move a file from one folder to another on the same partition.

Edited by unknownsoldierX

I have this crazy idea. I should be able to choose how my folders/files are listed and organized, and once I choose a setting it should stay that way. Vista keeps changing my individual folder settings on me, EVERY SINGLE TIME the contents of a folder change.

I'll set up a folder to show files in list view, and I'll set the size of the window. Next time I open the folder it opens completely maximized, taking up the whole desktop. And since I recently added a video file, or any file for that matter, it goes back to showing the files as thumbnails.

Also, I should not have to refresh the desktop to show a file I recently saved to it, or to get the ghost of an already deleted file/folder to disappear.

Lastly, and the most pathetic bug of them all, it should not take 20 seconds to delete a file as tiny as 50KB. Nor should it take forever to move a file from one folder to another on the same partition.

Wow, you hit the nail on the head. Those are my biggest complaints with Vista. I can't believe Microsoft left those bugs in.

Regarding the first one, don't you hate it when Windows decides to change your folder type for say... the C:\ drive, or the Program Files folder? These folders will switch to "Pictures and Videos" at random, and there's no way to fix it without going into the BagsMRU section of the registry. HUGE annoyance.

Other than that, my only other complaint with Vista is the file association business, or lack thereof.

If Microsoft would just fix these things, Vista would be perfect in my opinion.

Uh... perhaps because Home Premium and Ulimate have features that I do want that Business doesn't. Namely the entertainment features like Media Center, DVD Maker, etc.

I just think that Microsoft made some arbitrary decisions on what features should go in each edition. And the pricing between editions doesn't make a lot of sense.

It's not so much about 'average' home user or not. I think the scenario I describe is reasonable. I want to be able to Remote Desktop to my kid's PC to install software, etc. since they are not admins. It's not like my kids need to be able to use remote desktop. Perhaps they should have made it so Ultimate can connect to lesser versions.

you said your kids pc had XP Pro... if you went to business you wouldn't be loseing anything... now if they had Media center edition... that would of been different... but you never mentioned you wanted MCE features