Safari 3.0.1 Beta for Windows

but, the bug is terrible :( please mac fix

When are people going to learn the difference between Apple (the company) and Mac (the computer made by the company)?

I'm using it now, the only problems that I've had are: back and forward buttons on mouse dont work, pushing in the middle click button to use for scrolling doesn't work, and exiting out tabs with the middle click doesn't work.

Overall, I like the look of the browser but it definitely isn't as good as firefox.

Edit: The other problem I saw was that when opening up the bookmark panel, then returning to the web page, it would reload the web page, which I thought was unnecessary.

I'm using it now, the only problems that I've had are: back and forward buttons on mouse dont work, pushing in the middle click button to use for scrolling doesn't work, and exiting out tabs with the middle click doesn't work.

Overall, I like the look of the browser but it definitely isn't as good as firefox.

Edit: The other problem I saw was that when opening up the bookmark panel, then returning to the web page, it would reload the web page, which I thought was unnecessary.

I have to say I find the bookmark system annoying...

I installed this on my Vista Ulitmate and here are the bugs I found:

- When I maximize the window on my second monitor, the window disappear from view and I have to right-click on the tab in taskbar and click move to move it back into view, then the window is in maximized mode, but then I could move it around.

- My MX1000 acts in basic mode (meaning that I can't use the forward and back buttons on it :( )

- How do I resize the window?

- What does the lock icon next to the caption buttons do?

o_O am I the only one that Safari's been working perfectly for?

It works perfectly for me too. The only thing I don't like is that there is no way to override website fonts, and some websites use ugly fonts.

o_O am I the only one that Safari's been working perfectly for?

No, Safari 3 works fine for me on OS X, XP and Vista. In fact, I've even gone back to using it as my default browser on OS X, I really like it more than Camino 1.5.

lets see when this is released as final whether it will crash after a windows update downloads some fixes to screw up safari. lol

I wouldn't put it past Microsoft IE devs to release a update that causes safari to run like crap. lol they will do anything to keep market share.

the memory leak is serious in my computer. It take 134mb with just one window

Yeah I just tried the update and I still get the same...but saying that the same thing happens with that other browser Flock but thats a different story...

on a serious note

I also have the memory leak and it constantly uses 60% of my CPU on my windows vista box with p4 3.0 ghz

Safari installed fine on my two Vista installs. Not on my XP install though. The menu text disappeared.

After trying one of the suggestions - deleting the .TTF files in %PROGRAMFILES%\Safari\Safari.resources, it's fixed... sort of:

safarixphz4.th.png

The bolded menu text looks way too blurry. I'll grab a screenshot of Safari on Vista sometime later.

lets see when this is released as final whether it will crash after a windows update downloads some fixes to screw up safari. lol

I wouldn't put it past Microsoft IE devs to release a update that causes safari to run like crap. lol they will do anything to keep market share.

Eh... after two years of being in the market, barely any Windows updates - if any - deliberately caused Firefox to crash.

Well, I hope that th epeople who encounter problems with the fonts or whatever at least send bug reports in rather than just complain and not contribute :ninja:

Once the hungry RAM eating issue is fixed, I'll probably use it much more.

Safari has an Internet Explorer feel for me. I feel limited, I miss my Firefox extensions (which I have found no way of mimicking in Safari), I miss customizing behaviors. An example being that Safari only allows you to choose a different directory for downloads but doesn't provide a setting that prompts you every time to choose a behavior (i.e: Open With, Save to Disk...) I do like that Safari makes moving tabs around easier by nudging other tabs out of the way. You have to drag a tab all the way in front of another tab or behind it to move it in Firefox. I also got virus alerts from NOD32 while browsing sites I know I can trust in Safari. Compounded with the memory leak(s) it's unusable for practical browsing at this stage. However, even with the bug fixes that are to come it still doesn't come off as a spectacular browser. It's uninstalled.

Safari has an Internet Explorer feel for me. I feel limited, I miss my Firefox extensions (which I have found no way of mimicking in Safari), I miss customizing behaviors. An example being that Safari only allows you to choose a different directory for downloads but doesn't provide a setting that prompts you every time to choose a behavior (i.e: Open With, Save to Disk...) I do like that Safari makes moving tabs around easier by nudging other tabs out of the way. You have to drag a tab all the way in front of another tab or behind it to move it in Firefox. I also got virus alerts from NOD32 while browsing sites I know I can trust in Safari. Compounded with the memory leak(s) it's unusable for practical browsing at this stage. However, even with the bug fixes that are to come it still doesn't come off as a spectacular browser. It's uninstalled.

At least IE can be extended with Add-ons. I have yet to see such functionality in Safari.

Using Safari, holy crap didn't even know they had Safari for Windows until they released this update.

I wish you could turn off font smoothing. 70MB usage with just this page open. Otherwise, works perfect.