Microsoft to Spend $1 Billion to Fix Defective Xbox 360s

I bought my original 360 in December 2006 only for it to die and be replaced with a new machine by Gamestation in May. Does this new policy cover me from December or May?

What about that statement? The fact that I'm saying MS has little to no good reputation left when it comes to hardware?

In case you haven't noticed I've been harsh on them, don't mistake me saying exactly what Microsoft's reasoning is for me defending the original problem.

Extending a warranty != a recall. MS have had problems with 360 hardware yes, but lots of hardware has problems, even the almighty DS :rolleyes:

At least MS are doing something about it, and now free for 3 years. No pleasing some people

December.

But when you bought it from gamestation, did you have an extended warranty, if not, how did they take it back?

I didn't have the extended warranty, no. When they replaced it, they told me my 1 year warranty would start over with the new machine.

I'm glad for the extended warenty on the 3 lights. I also feel a bit better now that they admitted (well, not outright) that there was a problem, and that they are on the way to fixing it.

From the article, it doesn't say anything about only covering the 3 red lights problem, just uses that as an example problem since it's obviously the most common. I'm pretty sure the warranty covers every potential thing that can go wrong with your 360, just like the original warranty did.

From the article, it doesn't say anything about only covering the 3 red lights problem, just uses that as an example problem since it's obviously the most common. I'm pretty sure the warranty covers every potential thing that can go wrong with your 360, just like the original warranty did.

If you listen to the Major Nelson & Peter Moore interview which someone posted a few pages back, he makes it clear that this only covers the 3RLOD problem.......people are phoning up asking for refunds for disk reading errors that have been repaired and are being told they are not eligible.....

If you listen to the Major Nelson & Peter Moore interview which someone posted a few pages back, he makes it clear that this only covers the 3RLOD problem.......people are phoning up asking for refunds for disk reading errors that have been repaired and are being told they are not eligible.....

Ah, that sucks. Well, I suppose it's better than nothing. I might ring up and get the extended warranty then, just incase anything else happens to my 360.

Eh, there's nothing to stop people just saying they've got a RROD error so they can get a replacement. If MS phone back saying there wasn't an error when they tested you just play dumb :p Afterall, disc read errors make the console just as unusable as the RROD.

Did you read the official statement on the Xbox website? It says it there. Warranty page has been updated:

• One Year Express Warranty on Console (Three Years for Three Lights Flashing Red).
  • 90 Day Express Warranty on Accessories.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemus...es/warranty.htm

Did you read the official statement on the Xbox website? It says it there. Warranty page has been updated:
  • One Year Express Warranty on Console (Three Years for Three Lights Flashing Red).
  • 90 Day Express Warranty on Accessories.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemus...es/warranty.htm

Well I hadn't but someone else already explained, thanks. It should be 3 years warranty full stop, not just for RROD.

It should be 3 years warranty full stop, not just for RROD.

Well a extended warranty (from the store or Microsoft) will still have it's place, to cover all of the other problems. I agree though, I wish it was 3 years for everything.

Well I hadn't but someone else already explained, thanks. It should be 3 years warranty full stop, not just for RROD.

Are you kidding me? 3 year warranty on a piece of hardware like this is really generous... even if it covers the most common problem with the console. You're already getting 1 year on everything, then in addition to that, 2 more years for the RROD at no additional charge... ????

Meh... some people are just never happy, I guess. ;)

The reason it took this long was they had to find a fix that worked for 90nm units, 65nm alone couldn't be the cure there were too many old units manufactured and not yet sold. It'd ultimately be useless to admit to a problem if you had no solution.

And yeah, this is obviously Microsoft's way to save what little face they have left and still 'recall' the systems without having to use that word.

To some extent I agree, there's no good light here. Though I can't say anything bad about a solution being found either.

You're right, but I really hope MS tells us what the problem was (since they claim to know what it is), so that people can make their own judgement about asking for a repair.

As it stands, they've left the quality checking task to the customers, instead of doing it in their factories. In a way, we have to hope that the RROD happens within the 3 years to get our replacement.

Are you kidding me? 3 year warranty on a piece of hardware like this is really generous... even if it covers the most common problem with the console. You're already getting 1 year on everything, then in addition to that, 2 more years for the RROD at no additional charge... ????

Meh... some people are just never happy, I guess. ;)

No I do appreciate it (even if MS should have made a more reliable console in the first place), it's definately better than a kick in the face, just knowing my luck the disc drive will break after the 1 yr period, that's why it's likely I'll pay for the extended cover. I love my 360 but I hate having to constantly worry that it's going to conk out lol.

having the new warranty at once vague and oddly specific to the RROD is unfair to the user base. it also ignores the wider range of chronic problems with the 360, like the GPU meltdown.

EDIT: unless "RROD" is their friendly way of saying "everything" without losing face.

I think this is the closest MS has gotten to explaining what the problem is:

The error, according to the head of Microsoft?s entertainment and devices division, Robbie Bach, is a ?Microsoft design challenge,? not a glitch in the manufacturing process that can be blamed on an assembly plant. Bach said during a conference call that the company has been able to ?engineer around,? some of the problems causing the error message, meaning that newly bought Xbox 360s will include hardware fixes, but that those devices won?t be completely redesigned to eliminate the problem.When Microsoft hosts its annual media briefing at the E3 video game conference in Santa Monica, Calif., on July 10, the cost of the warranty, as well as the reduced number of Xbox 360s shipped during the year, are bound to be issues that reporters and analysts will grill the company over.
http://www.forbes.com/2007/07/05/msft-xbox...artner=yahootix
EDIT: unless "RROD" is their friendly way of saying "everything" without losing fa:laugh:ote] :laugh:

I'm happy microsoft has sent a team to investigate what is going wrong with the manufacturing.. and suprised to see so many companies aren't assembling them correctly. I hope this problem is fixed for the Elite :D