[Shell Patcher] Super Turbo Tango Patcher 6000

Vertigosity, can't you make a little simple guide, that tells which files to mod and which icons go where and stuff if you get what i mean.

I'm willing to mod the system files manually, to obtain tango icons lol. Seriously.... I've done lots of modding, so i dont need no patcher :p

Well... it wouldn't so much be a guide as a list. Filelist.xml has the list of files (and where they go on a completely-typical installation) and the reshack scripts have the list of resources ;)
:blush: :pinch:

Sorry, I just figured it would help, since I don't know what else to try.

Yeah, me neither. I need to go through and do some thorough code tracing and re-writing, but I just don't have the time.

I'll try next time im in x64.. Changed to x86 since there's just some things i can't stand in x64. (No tango is one of em)

I'll try next time I'm in x64.. Changed to x86 since there's just some things i can't stand in x64. (No tango is one of em)
Yeah, it works. I'm not sure what the best way to get it to do a group of files using 'respatcher's - they look like they're strictly for modifying one file at a time, and once they're made they're black boxes - unmodifiable, with the target resources, resource modifier tool, and instruction script built in. The full app supports some command-line arguments that might be useful, though. I'll probably play with it later, if I have time.

So, for now, my verdict is:

It's neat, but I'm not sure it's worth $100. I doubt I'll use it directly for a publicly released version of the patcher, since it'd either make the patcher more of an unmodifiable black box, warez, or limited to 30 days of use.

post-52710-1211735098_thumb.png

Yeah i used it, but its so very small when its 16x16, s? it doesnt match too good next to other icons in quicklaunch hehe

I tried to mod the x64 files, but when i tried to import icons it just said the icons were corrupted.. when im trying to just take them out of the x86 .dll's which has been patched, it just says its a corrupt file.. using restorator

I tried to mod the x64 files, but when i tried to import icons it just said the icons were corrupted.. when im trying to just take them out of the x86 .dll's which has been patched, it just says its a corrupt file.. using restorator

am using restorator as well, and i have managed to mod almost all server 208 x64 icons, (using server as workstation) i extracted vize icons, and modded most server 2008 x64 icons with vize icons. i did not get any errors at all.

Say, you used VIZE icons, not Tize? Try out with the tango icons and inform me :p if you want to, i'd really like you to upload all the modded files, since im going to use server 2k8 x64 too..

thanks!

Where can I download Tiize? ;)

By the way, I will work soon on how Vize deals with hardcoded paths. They will be detetcted at startup then written down to the FileList.xml file.

EDIT: Forget, got it from DevArt.

Edited by XPero

Where can I download Tiize? ;)

By the way, I will work soon on how Vize deals with hardcoded paths. They will be detetcted at startup then written down to the FileList.xml file.

EDIT: Forget, got it from DevArt.

Whee. Back when I started messing with the Vize source, I thought about writing a simple program to calculate all the paths and such using NSIS, but the modules available for it for dealing with XML aren't that nice. Of course, Python would probably be a perfect fit, since it's got nice XML support and an available module for working with the windows registry... of course, the registry module I found might be rubbish too ;) I didn't get around to doing it, though, before I had some nasty time constraints kick in a few months back.

I kinda like what I'm doing in the Python-Powered Patcher Package - because Python is an interpreted language, I can have it enumerate a list of python modules, load them at runtime, and then call functions within to return the paths. I still have some refactoring to do on it, though.

So, what are you doing with Tiize bits ;) :blink:

• 2 weeks later...
Hey vertigosity I think you mentioned this somewhere else but why does this icon look crappy?

2ia5qna.jpg

It's a windows bug, it pulls the wrong icon index. It's present on a stock Vista install, and it's carried over from XP (when in large-icon mode).

post-52710-1213939406.png

post-52710-1213939482.png

I just only read the first post and saw that you said that x64 is a pipe dream.

Well just modify the files from x64 in an x86 environment, save and transfer. Only replace the ones in \System32\.

My mods are fully x64 compatible and I use the above method.

Sorry if this has been said, I only read the first post.

The timing of this post is kinda funny, because I just had my first semi-sucessful smoke test of an X64-supported version (using CFF explorer's reshack wrapping) of my old batch scripts just a few minutes ago :whistle: (No, it's not even alpha quality yet - but it looks promising)

I just only read the first post and saw that you said that x64 is a pipe dream.

Well just modify the files from x64 in an x86 environment, save and transfer. Only replace the ones in \System32\.

My mods are fully x64 compatible and I use the above method.

Sorry if this has been said, I only read the first post.

Yeah... the problem lies in that I don't package up pre-modified files, I modify the files that are actually on the user's machine - which makes it independent of language, edition, and patch-level, so I can't just modify a set of files on my computer, throw up the 100-megabyte archive for download, and call it a day until next Patch Tuesday. Yeah, it can be done (that's essentially what Rebdomine did for his screenshot, a few posts up), but there's a few reasons I don't really care to do it, even for my own personal use. Edited by vertigosity

Well i dont have any life so i did it.. :(
Just out of curiosity, what did you do to put the files into the system?

I've got CFF Explorer working as a reshack wrapper in both the old shell scripts and Vize, but the replacement methods they use don't seem to work for 3/4 of the files... and I'm lazy, so I'd like to see what you did before I get hacking ;)

Just out of curiosity, what did you do to put the files into the system?

I've got CFF Explorer working as a reshack wrapper in both the old shell scripts and Vize, but the replacement methods they use don't seem to work for 3/4 of the files... and I'm lazy, so I'd like to see what you did before I get hacking ;)

Scratch that, it's a reshack/cff explorer issue, it just looked like it wasn't replacing properly because of the dirty hackiness of what I threw together to wrap reshack... and it's breaking on basebrd.dll, shellbrd.dll, and imageres.dll, the three files I'm most likely to look at to spot-check things :p