[Official] Doctor Who Thread

Every year they bring up Russel Tovey... it won't be him! He's a great actor but i can't see him as the Doctor.

Please god don't let it be a woman either. Nothing wrong with women or females actors but the doctor is a man.

I think it will be a (relative) unknown. The way Moffat phrased it was what it's going to change somebody's life, somebody out there is just walking around and going to be the doctor.

I think it will be a (relative) unknown. The way Moffat phrased it was what it's going to change somebody's life, somebody out there is just walking around and going to be the doctor.

Sounds like the sort of thing we can expect from Moffat too.

There's a little part of me that is VERY worried this will be some weird public vote thing. The whole idea of an unknown who is "walking around now not knowing they will be the next doctor"...

The new Doctor could be handed the keys to the TARDIS as early as next month BBC sources have confirmed - with insiders suggesting that Matt Smith?s replacement needs to be announced before the Doctor Who Christmas special begins filming next month.

?The search has begun in earnest and is active now,? the source said, adding that the BBC has not ruled out hiring a woman doctor to replace Matt Smith.

The decision will be made by a small team of BBC executives and kept under wraps. It will be decided by showrunner Steven Moffat, Danny Cohen, the BBC?s new head of television, controller of drama commissioning Ben Stephenson, casting director Andy Pryor and the show?s incoming executive producer Brian Minchin.

The new series, expected to be 12 episodes long begins filming in the autumn.

A BBC source also moved to squash speculation that showrunner Steven Moffat could also be calling it a day insisting that he has signed up for at least another year.

In his statement on Smith?s departure, Moffat said: "Great actors always know when it's time for the curtain call, so this Christmas prepare for your hearts to break as we say goodbye to number 11. Thank you Matt - bow ties were never cooler."

Whoever takes the role one actor considered to be one of the favourite in the early betting has already ruled himself out. Episodes and Green Wing star Stephen Mangan recently told Twitter: ?I see I?m 14/1 to be the new Doctor. Don?t waste your money.?

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-06-03/doctor-who-matt-smith-replacement-could-be-announced-next-month

From Hypable: http://www.hypable.c...be-a-white-man/ ?Doctor Who?s? next Doctor cannot be a white man

Though the Doctor can survive fatal blows and regenerate bodies, the alien species of the Time Lord cannot seem to regenerate into a human form that is neither white nor male.

As Matt Smith prepares to bid farewell to his role as the iconic eleventh doctor, he leaves behind him a legacy of male caucasian heroes that spans half a century. Steven Moffatt and co. face the challenging task of casting such a dynamic and multifaceted character, and I hope they find the courage to elevate Doctor Who to the 21st century.

I wouldn't have any problems with the Doctor being of any race.....as long as he's male. I'm just not sure about a female Doctor.

I wouldn't have any problems with the Doctor being of any race.....as long as he's male. I'm just not sure about a female Doctor.

I think that brings up an interesting point. I agree on race too, but on gender, the doctor should be his original gender, which I assume was male. I'm fairly new to the Whoniverse, so forgive my ignorance, but I assume that since we've seen female Time Lords, that they do not reproduce asexually? If that's the case, even after regeneration, the Doctor still has the same DNA structure making him a male?

I think that brings up an interesting point. I agree on race too, but on gender, the doctor should be his original gender, which I assume was male. I'm fairly new to the Whoniverse, so forgive my ignorance, but I assume that since we've seen female Time Lords, that they do not reproduce asexually? If that's the case, even after regeneration, the Doctor still has the same DNA structure making him a male?

I think it was mentioned in episode where the TARDIS's soul goes into a normal human, The Doctor mentioned a Time Lord who changed genders when they regenerated. The Doctor has travelled with Female Gallifreyians before, including his grand-daughter.

I should be the next Doctor.... I am an American and a Ginger (I seem to remember him looking in the mirror and saying Not quite a ginger yet) {{{JUST KIDDING}}}

I did read this recently-

http://deepfriedscif...be-that-ginger/

Though I am not sure if that would be the correct Ginger to play the Doctor

Now maybe this guy-

400px-David_Caruso_waiting.jpg

They certainly could go a different way with the way he would play the role.

Or even go with an actor from Canada or Australia that is a ginger.

Though they need something unique - I wouldn't say make the Doctor a woman.

Or Possibly this actor

Lennie James

405px-Lennie_James.jpg

Now that might shake some things up-

It would be awesome to have John Hurt stay on in whatever role he turns out to have. I mean, I know he's staying for a couple episodes in the next series but as the actual current Doctor, or past Doctor or whatever? Pretty neat. (I also love John Hurt, so meh!)

I have zero problem with the Doctor regenerating into a woman, or someone who is black or anything really. As long as they have two arms and two legs and talk English and don't look like some mutant experiment from Chernobyl I'm good. Also, GINGER.

I have nothing either for or against it being male, female, black, white, asian, ginger, old, young. I disagree that this is necessarily "progress" be definition however.

w00t Anyone else notice in this video they mention that Moffett had been in talks with Dame Helen Mirren :D

Whatever happens I really hope the actor/actress is british, that's one thing I love about some of the BBC shows is that once in a while they truly bring essentially a no-body into the world and show them how great our little island can be.

• Like 2

I'm an American obviously (or maybe not that obviously lol) so I wouldn't mind an American in the Doctor role. But that's not because I AM an American, but because I think it would be awesome to get someone American in there, or someone from Spain, Portugal, Chili a bunch of other places. There's nothing that says the Doctor has to be specifically British, except that the BBC says so, no? :D

Also, they have to be ginger whomever they are :p

I'm an American obviously (or maybe not that obviously lol) so I wouldn't mind an American in the Doctor role. But that's not because I AM an American, but because I think it would be awesome to get someone American in there, or someone from Spain, Portugal, Chili a bunch of other places. There's nothing that says the Doctor has to be specifically British, except that the BBC says so, no? :D

Also, they have to be ginger whomever they are :p

Felecia Day?

Felecia Day?

Her head would probably explode if she got the role. She's a huge fan (though not as big a fan as the guy who runs the Nerdist, he would literally implode and cause a wormhole to destroy the universe if he got the role) obviously and stuff. I'm just not a big fan of hers sadly.

Her head would probably explode if she got the role. She's a huge fan (though not as big a fan as the guy who runs the Nerdist, he would literally implode and cause a wormhole to destroy the universe if he got the role) obviously and stuff. I'm just not a big fan of hers sadly.

I am more of a fan of her Youtube content than her actual on screen content.