[Official] Doctor Who Thread

'Doctor Who' 50th "might be controversial", says composer Murray Gold

Doctor Who's composer Murray Gold has described the upcoming 50th anniversary special as "controversial".

Gold hinted to Den of Geek that a twist in the "movie-length" November episode could divide fans.

"There's a thing they've done in it, which might be controversial," he said. "It's interesting though.

I'll wait till I see it, they've been making these silly announcements for a while, like the name of the doctor was going to change doctor who forever, blah blah blah.

I listened to some of the proms, can't wait till they air it in November, really enjoyed the last few.

• Like 1

I'll wait till I see it, they've been making these silly announcements for a while, like the name of the doctor was going to change doctor who forever, blah blah blah.

I listened to some of the proms, can't wait till they air it in November, really enjoyed the last few.

If they were talking about the episode, The Name of the Doctor, then they're probably right considering the Forgotten Doctor that was introduced. Won't that change Doctor Who forever?

234.jpg

IDW Publishing and BBC Worldwide will conclude their joint celebration of the Doctor?s 50th anniversary with the release of a Doctor Who Special the final week of 2013. This oversize issue will be written by fan-favorite Doctor Who writer Paul Cornell and features art by Jimmy Broxton. 

In this special one-shot story, a strange force flings the TARDIS and the Doctor into our own universe! Once here, the Doctor encounters a 10-year-old girl who happens to be a huge fan of the Doctor Who TV show. The Doctor grapples with being a fictional character as well as and a monster lurking at the girl?s school on the way to coming face-to-face with the actor who portrays him, Matt Smith!

BBC Worldwide and IDW have worked together since 2007. For the 50th Anniversary celebration, IDW launched a new ongoing series led by writer Andy Diggle, and the new Doctor Who: Prisoners of Time, an extended maxi-series that spotlights all eleven Doctors. Additionally, IDW brought forth the first-ever Doctor Who crossover in any medium, the 2012 Star Trek: The Next Generation/ Doctor Who event series Assimilation2. The BBC Worldwide/IDW partnership will conclude following the end of these 50th anniversary celebrations in December.

?IDW is a great partner and we?re very proud of the comics that we have created and released together. By extending our partnership, we are able to provide Doctor Who fans with more than 20 additional titles in celebration of the 50th Anniversary,? states Soumya Sriraman, Executive Vice President Home Entertainment and Licensing.

?We?ve been extremely proud to be the American home to new Doctor Who comics these last six years,? said Chris Ryall, IDW?s Chief Creative Officer/Editor-in-Chief. ?We feel like we?ve said a great many things with our comics?so it now feels like a good time to let Doctor Who comics regenerate along with the coming new Doctor on the TV series.?

IDW was the first American comic-book publisher to produce original Doctor Who comic books, starting in early 2008 with the release of Doctor Who: Agent Provocateur. IDW also released the first Doctor Who comic to bring every iteration of the Doctor into one series in Doctor Who: The Forgotten.

God I can't wait till November to see 10 again, hopefully they will air the 2013 Doctor Who Proms around that month as well.

Also the poster was wrong, I made it better  :shifty:

LcpXcDt.jpg

• Like 1

they played an official trailer at comic con for the 50th anniversary with footage of the episode.

if you look around you can find a line by line description of the trailer but its not the same as actually seeing it.

p01d2st3.jpg

MATT SMITH, DAVID TENNANT AND JOHN HURT TO FACE OFF AGAINST DALEKS IN 50th ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL

The Doctors, Matt Smith, David Tennant and John Hurt will battle the deadly Daleks, the BBC announces today, in the show?s 50th anniversary special.

Returning to BBC One on 23 November the highly anticipated adventure will star: Matt Smith; Jenna Coleman; David Tennant; Billie Piper; John Hurt and Joanna Page. In a surprise twist in the recent series finale it was revealed John Hurt would be playing a Doctor, alongside Smith and Tennant.

The Daleks are the second monster to be announced for the 50th and will join the shape shifting Zygons, which have only appeared in the show once before in 1975. The Daleks were one of the first monsters to terrify audiences in 1963, 50 years ago, cementing their place in British popular culture.

Steven Moffat, lead writer and executive producer, said:

?The Doctor once said that you can judge a man by the quality of his enemies, so it's fitting that for this very special episode, he should be facing the greatest enemies of all.?

But uh, the Daleks don't know who the Doctor is anymore...right? Unless you know, time travel lol

Still, omg I can't wait already. I really wish someone would up that trailer!

From io9:

The trailer starts out on a haunting, dark note ? Matt Smith is walking in the TARDIS, while in voiceover he says, ?I?ve had many faces. Many lives. I don?t admit to all of them. There?s one life I?ve tried very hard to forget.? And we glimpse the Doctor talking to Clara about his greatest secret.

And then ? what looks like the Time War, between the Daleks and the Time Lords! Seriously. Daleks blowing up, flames everywhere, everything going to Hell. And in the middle of all the carnage, John Hurt as the non-Doctor, looking resolute. ?Great men are forged in fire,? he says. And then something about being the man who lit the flames.

And then, we get Tennant and Smith. Tennant, in his TARDIS, yells ?Allons-y,? while Matt Smith, in his, yells ?Geronimo!?

Rose pops up and warns that ?the moment is coming.? And John Hurt?s non-Doctor says that he is ready for what?s going to happen.

And then: the Tenth and Eleventh Doctors comparing their sonic screwdrivers, as Tennant looks possibly a bit jealous of Smith?s screwdriver. And then a shot of both of them wearing clever glasses, while Smith wears his fez and they look delighted with their cool gear. And then a glimpse of Rose, looking excited.

Oh, and the TARDIS being airlifted down to Trafalgar Square with the Doctor hanging down from it.

Smith is in the TARDIS, when he says, ?I remember this. I pretty much remember.? And we see twinkly lights traveling across the Earth.

David Tennant and John Hurt are inside Matt Smith?s TARDIS. ?Oh, you?ve redecorated. I don?t like it,? Tennant says, channeling Patrick Troughton in ?The Three Doctors.?

A title appears: ?This fall, the Doctor will face his darkest day: Himself.?

And we see Zygons, plural. Busting out of a glass case. And then some more shots of Daleks blowing up and being torn apart and generally being Da-wrecked.

Inside the TARDIS, Tennant tells Smith, ?For once, I would like to know where I?m going.? Smith responds: ?No, you really wouldn?t.?

And then, someone says, ?I?m looking for the Doctor.? And the camera pans around to show Hurt, Tennant and Smith, with the two Doctors trying not to look at their unacknowledged predecessor. Tennant shrugs and says, ?Well, you?ve certainly come to the right place.?