Over all, are you glad you switched to Vista?

Loving it. Could never go back to XP now. I've had no issues with it at all and it runs about the same as XP on my rig. The again I don't game at all on my PC, so I might feel differently if I was a PC gamer as I hear it sucks for that. But for everything else, it's much better than XP.

My switch to Vista has been a mixed affair... On one hand I love it for some reasons and I hate it for some others. But it is always this way for me when I switch or upgrade OSs ;).

People seem to say this a lot... I can understand the reasoning on MS's part to ensure that as it makes the most sense for them...

I only go by the EULA though as that is the contract...

I posted a nice piece about this issue in another thread you can view below:

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...amp;p=588776447

Vista is offered in "trial" mode as odd as it seems. Though I do understand MS not wanting this a common thought as it would make their piracy fight hard.

We can also expect them to word the EULA better in the future, maybe with a SP ;)

Hah! That is a serious mis-interpretation!

The poster claims "This states that you're not under a license until you assign it to a device" to the clause

Before you use the software under a license, you must assign that license to one device (physical hardware system). That device is the “licensed device.”
Working on the flimsy premise that as long as you claim the software isn't "assigned" to a device that is is installed on, then you can make copies and distribue them and all sorts of illegal acts, because you aren't covered on the EULA.

The second part was for "activation", not "assigning". You got those terms mixed up, it seems.

Ridiculous. Go ahead and believe that you are free to download and install it, if that is what you want to, but it seems that the Neowin rules on this have been stated clearly.

Hah! That is a serious mis-interpretation!

The poster claims "This states that you're not under a license until you assign it to a device" to the clause Working on the flimsy premise that as long as you claim the software isn't "assigned" to a device that is is installed on, then you can make copies and distribue them and all sorts of illegal acts, because you aren't covered on the EULA.

Ridiculous. Go ahead and believe that you are free to download and install it, if that is what you want to, but it seems that the Neowin rules on this have been stated clearly.

Where is the misinterpretation? I never said you could do heaps of illegal actions with the software like distributing it to anyone. I just stated the EULA states that you're not licensed until you assign it to a device?by?activation and you're allowed to use it in the "unlicensed"?state?for?the?30?day?grace?period.

If you read the second paragraph I posted it makes sense, but I recommend you read the whole EULA.

My previous post links direct to the EULA and you can read it for yourself.

It in no way says you can distribute copies of Vista anywhere or to anyone...

I'm quite happy that i switched to Vista. I couldn't be happier to tell you the truth, i will however throw this one warning out to anyone who is thinking of using it.

DO NOT USE A VIA CHIPSET WITH VISTA. They cause nothing but problems and headaches, i've used two Nforce chipsets and had nothing but great flawless experiences.

Via on the other hand useless and problematic to no end.

I'm quite happy that i switched to Vista. I couldn't be happier to tell you the truth, i will however throw this one warning out to anyone who is thinking of using it.

DO NOT USE A VIA CHIPSET WITH VISTA. They cause nothing but problems and headaches, i've used two Nforce chipsets and had nothing but great flawless experiences.

Via on the other hand useless and problematic to no end.

No problems with a VIA chipset here.

I guess I am happy with Vista or I would have went back to XP. It's not perfect, but it will improve. My pc is a few years old, so unfortunately I still use xp to game.

Yep, works really nicely now Gateway have given me some proper drivers. Fast boot, fast running and much more secure.

I don't think I could live without the search anymore, especially on start :)

Took the words right from me. I've been loving the vista experience and scratch my head when people talk about Vista is like WinME: I do a :blink: everytime!

(planning on upgrading from Business --> Ultimate- If only for the Media Center.. I love that thing :cry: )

I have dual-boot at home, WinXP and Vista.

Overall, Vista does feel 'new' and has some eye candies.

Hell, even >some< stuff in desktop works faster.

However, I use my PC at home mostly for gaming, and this is where Vista (so far) fails horribly.

Games that works have ~20-30% lower FPS compared to XP (tried all available drivers for my GF7800GT), and even with latest I have some issues in some games (like black textures).

Next issue (game-wise) is lack of D3S, since only OpenAL is supported in Vista - which again means no fancy 5.1 sound for majority of games.

Yes, in future drivers will get better, and performance will get better.

But as is now, XP suits me better than Vista.

I suppose in half year+ time I might use Vista on regular basis.

PS: Yes, it is somewhat as when XP came out - in start Win2000 beat it big time. But, XP did bring some great features like remote desktop.

Yeh I think I am glad that I switched to vista. Never had any problems with it and it runs perfectly well on my system. However, I hardly use it anymore as I've recently moved over to Ubuntu :D (but I still dual boot them both)

I was originally impressed when I first tried it, now looking back, I see it as more of a facelifted XP. Like kitch, it's still there in my dual boot if I ever need to do something windows specific.

On my notebook computer (see signature for specifications), I have found that Windows Vista runs quite a bit faster than Windows XP (which I tried for the sake of argument). I've had no problems with Windows Vista and am more than happy with it.

90 % of the people who says "vista sucks" say it because want to be like other people whos only criticize what microsoft do. U know what, why if you think that microsoft only do garbages you still using it? so why think vista is bad? vista is another operating systems with cool new features and more improveed.

For me, im happy,

my undesicion consists in wich version use if 32 bit or 64 bit

No problems with a VIA chipset here.

you sir are lucky then, the amount of problems i encountered was untold and just not worth it i refuse to even sell that motherboard to anyone.