Sept 5th - Apple's Beat Goes On Event

Apple has called a press conference at its London-based flagship shop on Regent Street for next Tuesday. As a result, the store will not open to the public until 4:00 p.m. that day.

Employees of the store, however, have been asked to arrive at 2:00 p.m. on Tuesday for a 90 minute briefing. They say Apple plans to extend the store hours till 10:00 p.m. that day and that employees will be asked to remain on site until 11:00 p.m.

Additionally, Apple at around 10:00 p.m. last night is said to have begun some modifications to the store's theater area. No further details were available. It's widely expected that the Cupertino-based company will use the press conference to divulge plans for its iPhone launch in Europe.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/09...event_more.html

Some observations today as I visited the Apple store in Birmingham (UK) and had a play with some of the new iPods.

The Nano is just.. breathtakingly small. I didn't think it would wow me any more than my current 1st gen Nano but boy was I wrong.. just so small, so capable.. I adore it!

Had a play with an 80GB iPod classic.. now i'm not sure if I got a duff one or something but overall performance of the thing was dreadful! Menu's were slow to navigate and worst of all was the stuttering when tasked with doing anything whilst listening to music.. trying to navigate the menu's made the music stop and stutter and coverflow did the same thing. Just wondering if thats a common problem or if the one I was using had a bad HDD in it or something..?

The Nano impressed me more by far.

I finished off by loading up the WWDC iPhone announcement on the big screen / AppleTV setup instore.. thought a little self promotion wouldn't hurt them :D

I think the reason everyone loves the nano and is so-so on the classic is because the nano is completely new, whereas the classic just has a prettier UI.

It's weird because a lot of people on the iLounge forum have said they noticed iPod classic's music stuttering in Apple Stores in America and I myself saw it at Sheffield's Meadowhall store, yet, since I bought my classic on Wed, I haven't seen that problem.

It's really weird. Maybe Apple Stores are doing something wrong to set them up? lol.

Many reports have talked about the performance of the new iPod Classic. Seems to be a software bug, hopefully it will be sorted soon.

Yeah, as I've noticed elsewhere, I think due to the hard drive having to be constantly accessed, Cover Flow is excessively sluggish, compared to the nano, which is near instant. Really shows you how much faster flash memory is, with the lack of moving parts.

i know this is a bit of topic, but how does he have a screen projected on behind him when he stands like right in front of it, wouldn't his body cut some of the projected screen off? thats always standed out to me, even on the UK iPhone lauch he has one and in the Q and A he is sitting right in front of it and doesnt block any of the projected picture off.