3 new performance and reliability updates for Windows Vista

Has there been a fix or work-around to installing Update for Windows Vista (KB941649):??

This is similar to the update pack that came out a few months ago that made the system log off immediately after logging on (because a folder in teh firewall folder was missing or something)

This update rendered my system unbootable but i really want to install the update, come on people figure something out!

The other two updates work fine.

I haven't had a problem except that my HD was reported as 5.7 in Windows Index, and afterwards is reported as 4.4 (haven't a clue why it changed):( My whole system chugs along now, though it does boot faster, but that's hardly a bonus in the circumstances :)

I may just format again and reinstall. Think I need that anyway :)

That is not a common error code, and from what I can find, there is no documentation from MS about it.

I'm guessing one of these:

1. Badly pirated copy of Vista (no offense, I'm not accusing you)

2. WGA validation got screwed up, you need to validate again

3. The Windows Update data store got corrupted

First, visit http://www.microsoft.com/genuine and click Validate Windows. Try the updates again.

If that doesn't work, then try this:

Open an elevated command prompt. (Go to Start -> Programs -> Accessories, right-click on Command Prompt, and choose "Run as administrator".)

In the command prompt window, run the following two commands:

net stop wuauserv

rmdir /s C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore

Don't close the command prompt window yet.

Rename the C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log file to some other name. (This isn't actually necessary, but will make it much easier to distinguish if WU is working properly after the fix)

Run the Registry Editor. (Go to Start -> Run, type "regedit" and press Enter.)

***Be careful, you can screw up your system if you make a mistake here***

In the Registry Editor tree, find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate.

Right-click on WindowsUpdate in the tree and choose Delete.

Back in the command prompt window, run this command:

net start wuauserv

You can now close the command prompt window and the Registry Editor window.

Now run the Windows Update control panel. You'll be prompted to opt back into Microsoft Update and to reset your automatic-updates settings. The first "Checking for updates..." cycle will take longer than usual, since the data store needs to be rebuilt. Any previously-hidden updates (such as language packs) will be shown again and will need to be re-hidden.

If the problem was indeed a corrupted datastore, then you should find that

updates are now successfully detected. If not, then you should at least be no

worse off than you were.

Thank you for your time! I really appreciate that! I'm afraid though that none of the solution worked. I'm still getting the failed message. I passed the validation and deleted those Windows Update files, but it didn't work. I think that is really, really strange...

My Vista with Gigabyte P35-DS4 and Intel ICH9R chipset doesn’t boot anymore after the update, it hangs at crcdisk. After replacing all .sys-files in the drivers directory with the originals it works again.

Same here that's the file that loads last before the freeze.

I haven't had a problem except that my HD was reported as 5.7 in Windows Index, and afterwards is reported as 4.4 (haven't a clue why it changed):(

Hmmm, crcdisk fails to load for some of us and you have slow hard disk performance. Sounds like they messed something up here.

Same here that's the file that loads last before the freeze.

Hmmm, crcdisk fails to load for some of us and you have slow hard disk performance. Sounds like they messed something up here.

This is not the reason for the failure of the boot. I had the same thing, at first I deleted the crcdisk.sys file so the boot failed at another file. The system doesn't fail to load a driver, I think it just hangs because of one driver. Because I didn't have a restore point, I reinstalled my Vista. Now I'm afraid to install those updates...

Anyone contact Microsoft with this info???

that worked for updates that fail to install; however, i don't think it will do anything for people who install the updates successfully and a reboot later they're stuck on the loading screen.

After I executed this code, the updates installed! I found it somewhere on a Dutch forum.

fsutil resource setautoreset true c:\

What exactly does fsutil resource setautoreset true c:\ do to C: drive?

nice, but exactly how many of these updates break programs such as peerguardian ? (again)

I dont know if anyone answered this or not. On sp 1 Peer Guardian works fine. and updates fine as well.

PG2 only breaks on 64-bit version of Vista due to driver signing enforcement and changes made to it by a windows update a few months ago. Until the PG2 team gets driver signatures from Microsoft, it will only work with driver enforcement turned off by using F8 at startup.

PG2 only breaks on 64-bit version of Vista due to driver signing enforcement and changes made to it by a windows update a few months ago. Until the PG2 team gets driver signatures from Microsoft, it will only work with driver enforcement turned off by using F8 at startup.

That's annoying, lol.. well i'm glad I haven't switched over to 64-bit Vista from XP 64-bit yet.

I use that program 24/7 and F8 at startup would be annoying everytime I boot to make it work.

PG2 hasn't updated their program in a while, I doubt it'll be fixed soon then.

Its not annoying if you leave your system on 24/7. I only restart my PC every few weeks so the one or two times I do it per month doesn't bother me.

I doubt the PG2 team will release a driver signed version anytime soon since the driver signing costs lots of money.

I'm starting to wonder if these patches are responsible for several sporadic DEP crashes. I've lowered DEP to monitor only essential Windows services and applications, and the Sync Center occasionally crashes due to DEP.

Also another thing: I swear file transfers are slower after applying these patches. :huh:

Are these included in WU? My vista is updated but didn't look to see if these are included.

But ppl seem to have problems after applying these patches....hmm.

same here nothing new, OS is still the same speed as it was no change in the WEI either

@ Bel: Hello stranger

Been offline a week, stupid virgin. But I am back in insult mode now :) wait and see ...

/back on topic, does anyone know what the difference is between the original release and this v2 release?